Wellies recommendations please!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wellies recommendations please!

I need to buy some wellies and I don't know which are best for gardening and/or a bit of trudging in fields occasionally.

Should I go for expensive 'Hunter' types or cheapo ones or somewhere in the middle?

Thanks for your ideas!

I don't find that wellies are very good as they are quite cold and not that comfy (although never paid for the very expensive ones) and find that an old pair of rigger boots are the dogs doo-dars. They are fur lined so very warm, calf length so deep me try without restricting me when I'm kneeling down and steel toe capped so nice and safe when I drop something on my toes - again!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I have got some really really nice Hunter Balmorals they are so warm and comfortable, neoprene lined. Very expensive but they were a present, I do go to the plot in them, but to be honest they are too good for that. For on the plot I would say keep it basic.

Comment

I don't wear wellies as they make my feet sweat. I wear leather walking boots with thick socks.

Comment

If you do a search on here Kitty, you'll find loads of information on Wellie Boots.

I have a lovely comfy warm expensive pair, but in an effort to make them last, this winter I've gone back to Rigger Boots. (There's loads of Grapes who'll laugh their socks off when they read this! )

The reason I don't usually wear Riggers is that I have size 5 feet, and it's VERY difficult to get decent Riggers that small. The 6 I have at the moment are so big Mr. G can get them on and he's a 9, so I'm walking about with 4 pairs of socks on and clown boots!
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Thanks everyone but I forgot to add that I don't wear leather which narrows down some of the other options apart from wellies!

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
              The reason I don't usually wear Riggers is that I have size 5 feet, and it's VERY difficult to get decent Riggers that small. The 6 I have at the moment are so big Mr. G can get them on and he's a 9, so I'm walking about with 4 pairs of socks on and clown boots!
              Although smaller sizes are more difficult to get you can easily get smaller than 9's. Think mine are 7's, still too big for you but a lot closer and I always want extra sock space at this time of year.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Wilko's had loads in this week, about £7-8 but all sold out due to the snow, I'd go for them plus some cheap socks from the down market sports retail shop jobbie, only my opinion
                Cheers

Danny

Comment

I like wellies in winter, nice Hunters or my current ones which are oddly from Oasis. They're great - warm, comfortable and sturdy. I always take my Uggs with me too so I've got something even snugglier to change into if it's cold.

In summer I like a Caterpillar boot.
                  I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Thanks for all your welly tips!

Comment

I have tried wellies and walking boots and found that walking boots with good socks and gaters if it is really muddy are much warmer and they keep your foot protected as they have cushioned and solid soles. They also offer protection for your ankles if you trip or slip which wellies do not do.
                      They are also much easier to remove if you do need to take them off as you can get the laces undoen and the boots off quick.
                      When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Hunters for me-actually I still can't believe it was the most expensive pair of shoes I bought in my life!

Comment

dunlop acifort wellies great gripping sole high quality and steel toe and midsole no need to worry when digging

Comment

Trousers bought me a pair of I.Jacobs Wellies for Christmas a way back when we spent Christmas with The Piglets one year, and initially, because they looked a bit 'designer' I took an instant dislike to them, having been a true-grit Hunter Girl beforehand. But I'm here to tell you, whatever he paid well-earned pennies for, my man did me hugely proud, and I have almost not taken them off ever since.
                            They're really comfortable and better insulated, so I can garden out there for far longer than I would in a pair of Hunters. Then I learned that Sarah Raven has the very same?

So, is his girlfried supposed to just 'get out of his hair', or be more like Sarah Raven?
                            (See Wellie do a Mutley from Whacky Races)

Comment

Originally posted by kittyk View Post
                              I don't wear leather which narrows down some of the other options apart from wellies!
                              Normal wellies may well have animal glues in them. These are vegan wellies.
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X