No announcement yet.

Does your garden smell?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just now I smell of aniseed after brushing against one of my herb Fennel plants
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

My favourite must be tomatoes. I also love the smell of Rosemary and Sage. The smell I'm waiting for (nowhere near yet) is ripe melon. It's a really overpowering musky smell. When the melons are nearly ready I open the door every day in expectation.

Comment

Mine smells of tomato plants, so do I as I love getting in amongst them! Other than that all I can usually smell is weed smoke. From the neighbours *ugh*. However I'm just pleased that I don't live next door to the people whose garden smells by turns of dog poo or too much laundry suds.....!

I love it when it's just rained and you can smell clean wet foliage and earth and tomato....

Comment

I do enjoy so many of the simple smells or oders that the garden/allotment has. Even though I'm an advocate of no dig, there is a satisfaction gained from the smell of fresh turned earth. I need to curb the urge and lifting potatoes is a treat for the nose. The shed, the garage/woodcraft workshop and the plot shed each have a friendly pleasing aroma and the greenhouse exhibits it's own seasonal smells. Currently dominated by tomatoes and a slight chilli scent it changes when water settles the dust (just like that smell as it starts raining).
          Presently the front garden boarders are full so cats can't use them, the lawn does get gifts left about once a week that need clearing away. Alas my roses look fabulous but are modern hybreds and don't smell of anything much even if you stuff your face in them.
          I'm also guilty of causing a stink when I use my nettle tea, comfry tea and urine mix liquid fertilizer. This is usually late evening in the greenhouse and on the outdoor plot tomatoes. The stink is gone by morning if not even sooner.
          We don't have many scented plants specifically, mint, basil etc. and a few lillies. But the general aroma of garden freshness is a daily joy.

Comment

Though I don't mow my lawn much I find the smell of newly cut grass a surprising pleasure.

Comment

We have a really nice perfumed rose by the front door. smelling that in early summer as I get home from work is absolute heaven.

I keep on trying and failing to take cuttings from it. I'll have another go this autumn.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM67 View Post
                There's a garden on a corner of a street I pass to and from work that smells really "sweaty", like really bad body odour.
                I think that's dope.....kinda like BO with underlying notes of fermenting hops?

Comment

Please don't call Kevin a dope - he's very lovable in a Kelvinish kind of way.

Comment

Originally posted by bikermike View Post
                    We have a really nice perfumed rose by the front door. smelling that in early summer as I get home from work is absolute heaven.

I keep on trying and failing to take cuttings from it. I'll have another go this autumn.
                    if the rose has any whippy shoots you can bend down, you might find it easier to propagate by layering one.

Comment

Lavender and rosemary by my back door.
                      My lilies in the evening.
                      Sweetpeas, especially when the air is still.
                      The wonderful smell of tomatoes when I go into the greenhouse
                      My old rose, Ena Harkness, dark wine with sn intense scent.
                      My Just Joey rose, a real fresh floral smell.
                      And of course, the scent of newly moen grass.

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I remember Ena Harkness from my Mum's front garden. I think it was the first flower I learned an actual variety name.

Currently the sweet peas have gone mad - from being very disappointing, they've gone critical! The scent is unbelievable.

Comment

At the moment, by my front gate, there's a helichrysum that smells of curry battling with a white self-sown honeysuckle. None of the ones I bought have such a good scent!

Nothing at the back apart from the smell of apples from sweet briar when the foliage gets wet. I don't recommend it. Rampant 20ft+, vicious hooked thorns bad black spot. Waiting for three David Austin roses to bloom. Loads of scents from January but stopped with philadelphuses ceasing.

Verbena hardly discernable.
                          Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

All my roses have had a glorious scent this year and it's nice that their perfume is released at different times of the day which is dependant on the variety.
                            I work very hard so please don't expect me to think as well!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X