Does your garden smell?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ESBkevin View Post
    Because my front garden is now lovely frieble soft soil, it is the streets cat toilet! I am often removing the stuff but it still stinks over the lovely flower scent too ofton. The footpath at the back of the house is also a popular dog walk and yes you've guessed it, too many owners can't act responsibly and on a warm summers evening the pong is quite noticable to my delicate nose.
    The plot has less flowers and for a short time each year it has rotted pig manure on it, but the rest of the time that earthy/veggy spell pervades amd makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
    Could you plant some rose bushes in your front garden ? - might serve a two-fold purpose :-)

Comment

There's a garden on a corner of a street I pass to and from work that smells really "sweaty", like really bad body odour.
      .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

^^ A sweaty garden! haha

I like the Jasmine by the back door, sweet peas, tomatoes in GH, rain when it falls torrentially, autumn bonfires, snow.. Love the smell of petrol, I always sniff the cap when I've filled something up (kids, don't do that ), and the musty smell of a shed that's been sealed up a long time. Best of all is the smell of cracking open a beer on a summer evening

Less pleasant are the surprises occasionally left by neighbourhood cats (not the problem it once was though), grass piles when they've started steaming and are wet inside; that smell reminds me of old tea.. things that live in ponds, and the smell of defeat when you're forced to call it a day

Comment

Thanks for sharing your "smells" although Kelvin can keep his to himself.
          Inspired by you and the book, I'm going to create a smelly path through the garden. It'll be edged with smelly plants, all sorts of nice ones. I want to be able to amble down the path, sniffing and rubbing leaves and flowers, surrounded by smells.
          Its going to need some seed sowing, propagating and transplanting but, by this time next year, I will have a smelly path. (That's the plan anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
            Could you plant some rose bushes in your front garden ? - might serve a two-fold purpose :-)
            Nick, I have roses along one side against a trellis. I also used some thorns chopped among the wood chip mulch as a deterent but that didn't help much. I've laid brambles across the beds when they aren't so full in the winter but the only time I got a weeks reprieve was when I spread some raw soil improver in may, the new strong scent of that put them of for a few days.

Sadly I've got the only proper flower beds in the Cul Du Sac, this is a price I seem fetted to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by ESBkevin View Post
              Nick, I have roses along one side against a trellis. I also used some thorns chopped among the wood chip mulch as a deterent but that didn't help much. I've laid brambles across the beds when they aren't so full in the winter but the only time I got a weeks reprieve was when I spread some raw soil improver in may, the new strong scent of that put them of for a few days.

Sadly I've got the only proper flower beds in the Cul Du Sac, this is a price I seem fated to pay.
              May be a more active defensive system is called for - now you have the horticultural equivalent of barbed-wire in place, how about getting a super-soaker water pistol to stand in for a machine gun ?

Comment

Going into the greenhouse, the strongest smell is of basil, and after doing up the patio I have potted up some lavender and rosemary, also French marigolds, hoping to keep the midges away, as behind our seating area are trees and a wee burn running the length of the back garden, so far it seems to have worked as I have not been bothered with them at the back garden but have at the front, I also have petunias in baskets that give off a nice smell
                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I like the smell of mint and thyme when you bruise their leaves, plus I have a hedge of Rosa rugosa roses and another semi-circular hedge of Felicia roses all of which smell gorgeous. Roses can tend to smell at different times of day so try having a sniff at different times.
                  I work very hard so please don't expect me to think as well!

Comment

My "orange blossom" (Philadelphus), which is about 20' high, is now coming fully in to flower - beautiful.

Comment

I have jasmine and honeysuckle mingling together in a couple of areas. Wonderful at the moment in the sunshine.

Comment

I bought a couple of those "novelty" mints a few weeks back - a strawberry and a chocolate one.

If you're a fan of peppermint aeros, then you'll love the chocolate one.

I also got a Lemon Basil - that's quite nice also.
                        .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Nice smells - honeysuckle in full bloom and the smells in the evenings as I step out of the kitchen is wonderful, tomatoes in the greenhouse as I brush past them - the smell of summer
                          Bad smells - as I don't have a lawn, the only place the dogs will have a wee is on the path. I've just planted lots of herbs on the sides of the path to hopefully mask the smell lol
                          https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Been sort of cow smell last day or so Perhaps to do with local farmer.

Back to subject.... not many flowers yet, but wild shrubs are pumping out the perfume

Comment

Honeysuckle and Zepherine Drouhine roses.
                              .. Bring a smile to my face every time..
                              I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                              sigpic

Comment

A year ago I said I was going to grow a smelly path. That's a work in progress!!
                                At the moment, the scent of these lilies (? tree lilies) is overwhelming. I hadn't realised that Verbena bonariensis (tall purple flower) is also scented.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0912.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	2384716

Name:	100_0915.JPG
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	2384717

Name:	100_0916.JPG
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	2384718

Name:	100_0917.JPG
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	2384719

Name:	100_0923.JPG
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	2384720

Lilies would be lovely if it wasn't for those pesky lily beetles

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X