Vitorino Tomato

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitorino Tomato

Anyone know where I may find seeds for Vitorino Baby Plum Tomatoes ? The pack says Exclusively for Tesco and grown in Morocco and I have no idea if they are a F1 but I like them and want to grow some.

I may just have to do some seed saving if I can't find out if they are F1 or purchase seeds.
    sigpic
    . .......Man Vs Slug
    Click Here for my Diary and Blog
    Nutters Club Member

dont know if this will help with your quest

Morocco: Seed company beats shelf-life worries

Comment

I've just read that they are a new hybrid from the breeders of Rosada - the Asian company refuse to meet EU regulation requirements so can't supply seed in Europe. (That's why I can't buy Rosada seeds any more )

Sorry I deleted the tab and can't find the link again for ref.

So, from what I read, you can't buy seed and it is a hybrid - Good luck if you try it from saved seeds

Comment

Thanks Jack & Thelma obviously a code name for their development is not as sexy as "Vitorino" and as my FGS - Frustrated Gardener Syndrome is at an all time high due to the bad weather and snow, I have just cut one open and harvested some seeds and have them fermenting on top of the fridge freezer or a couple of days by which time I'm hoping to start off my batch of early tomato plants in my grow stations.

It will be interesting to see if what grows looks and tastes anything like the original
        Last edited by Cadalot; 03-03-2018, 11:45 AM.
        sigpic
        . .......Man Vs Slug
        Nutters Club Member

Comment

Umm, Vittorino (double t) look to be on sale to professional growers only in Spain. Not described as F1.
          Google translate should do you a good version of this, Cadalot:
          https://www.agrovademecum.com/tomate/cherry/vittorino

Comment

^Ignore above. I've had a bit more of a look at this. Vittorino is a transgenic tomato:
            https://patents.google.com/patent/US20090313715

Presumably not the same thing at all. What a difference a t makes.

Comment

I’ve never tasted a supermarket tomato that tastes anywhere as good as the ones I grow at home....in fact I rarely try supermarket tomatoes these days because they are so disappointing. Usually thick skinned and tasteless. Growing in Morrocco may be a little different to a back garden in the UK too.
              Are they really that good? Is it worth me popping to that supermarket?

Comment

Scarlet - as shop bought go they are not bad

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-03-03 Tomatoes.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	2376683
                sigpic
                . .......Man Vs Slug
                Nutters Club Member

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                  ^Ignore above. I've had a bit more of a look at this. Vittorino is a transgenic tomato:
                  https://patents.google.com/patent/US20090313715

Presumably not the same thing at all. What a difference a t makes.
                  Transgenic:relating to or denoting an organism that contains genetic material into which DNA from an unrelated organism has been artificially introduced

I certainly don't like the sound of that!

Comment

"Nightingale Farms"? Morocco!!

I thought Tesc0 had stopped using made up farm names for their products?

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                      Transgenic:relating to or denoting an organism that contains genetic material into which DNA from an unrelated organism has been artificially introduced

I certainly don't like the sound of that!
                      I'm not sure it's the same tomato. Slightly different name. Plus, can transgenics even be sold in the UK? Especially if not labelled as such?

Comment

No I don't think it can be Cad's tomato - but still don't like the sound of what they are doing to food

Comment

Have these people never seen Jurassic Park !
                          sigpic
                          . .......Man Vs Slug
                          Nutters Club Member

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X