Motorhome

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kirk View Post
    One aspect of a motorhome that one person I know said it that if you are on a site say 2 miles out of a town or village then to get to the village/town you end up packing everything back into the motothome to use it to drive into the place.
    Whereas with a caravan you leave the caravan and unhitch the car.

Agreed you can walk or have a bicycle but a motorhome has the odd disadvantage.

The person in question sold their motor home for a caravan simply as the motor home wasn't flexible enough. Especially if they used a site and intended to make visits to different places surrounding it as it meant taking the motorhome off site every day. And a motorhome may not be the easiest to navigate around a small unfamiliar place with.

Some places restrict the amount of parking that you can do. On the Norfolk coast they found people were parking up and staying put for a week or so. Which was not the intended purpose of the supplied parking. So some places made changes to their parking rules to prevent this. Might find that others impliment similar, especially the popular locations.
    My brother has a caravan and has made the same points. I don't think my mini is man enough to pull a caravan and there are other means of transport available without having to move the van. I could tow the car or attach a bike (pedal or motor) to the back which is what friends of mine have done.
    "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
    "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
    Oxfordshire

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk View Post
      One aspect of a motorhome that one person I know said it that if you are on a site say 2 miles out of a town or village then to get to the village/town you end up packing everything back into the motothome to use it to drive into the place.
      Whereas with a caravan you leave the caravan and unhitch the car.
      That's why it's becoming more common to see a motorhome trundling along with a small car in tow.

Some of the big Yank motorhomes even have a garage in the back for the small car.

Comment

We had one for our honeymoon in NZ. The smaller the motorhome, the easier it is to get places. If there is only the two of you (and the dog), I'd look at ones that retain the bodyshell of the van. You can get all kinds of awnings/foldy-outy bits to give you more room when you get there.

Note - be careful with towing cars, they are 4-wheel braked trailers and the rules are different for them. Make sure you get proper advice before getting one.

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
          The difference being the Scottish roads are marked as main roads as I found out going from Fort William to Mallaig though I suppose they have got round to altering that now or at least I hope so. What with herds of deer leaping across the bonnet and fish lorries hurtling along it was a hazardous road at night.
          Yes, that is right. It is the only road to Mallaig, so it will be classified as main road. There is no great difference now. Lorries are longer, Traffic volume has increased since RET came in. Deer will roam the Glens. It is that way across many parts of Rural UK. We just have to be prepared and get on with it. The scenery is wonderful all year round. The Light can be something else. In Winter, the lack of Light in DG lights up the Stars. All well worth travelling for

Comment

^^^^^^^^^I agree with all you say it is a most beautiful place I have been a few good times and always enjoyed it.

But the comment about the roads still stands, there are some roads that I a experienced driver would not want to lug a large motor home along.

I have checked and the Mallaig road has been improved but if I every get up there again I would take the steam train from Fort William along one of the most lovely of railway journeys and at the end one of the finest chippies in the UK.
            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X