Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I've been pondering on shrinking my veg patch to take into account the reduced rainfall here, but things just got even more complicated. Friend (lives a couple of miles away so a close neighbour by our standards) came round to gossip about a nearby property that has recently been sold. So far, lots of pines chopped down, house fenced in and a huge mini-reservoir dug out, at least 20 x 30 square metres. Bumped into someone in town this morning while out with the dogs. He was off to go and inspect some olive trees but also stopped to gossip about the same place. Turns out the reservoir will be fed by a very deep well. He reckons it'll have a huge impact on all the underground water in the area and that many of the old wells will run dry. That means us.

Comment

• Old dogs - I wish I could do more.
      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

• Bladdy wind,had a sleep,and woke up to the words,the umbrella blew out and the glass tops in bits on the patio,its only 15 months old ,so now got a mess to clear up,and a topless table
        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• UKMail are possibly the worst company to deal with. Waiting for a delivery which was supposed to be delivered between 15:06 and 16:06 yesterday, get an email at 19:30 saying the driver was delayed and will deliver next day. Today I get an email that delivery will be between 9:08 and 10:08. Guess what, nothing.

I go to their website, and it say speak to our team ring this number. When you ring it it's an automated service that doesn't even give you an option to speak to a real person!

So I think to myself, I'll use the contact us form, fill out the form and then click submit. The submit button doesn't do anything.

GRRRRRRRRRR
          The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
          - Sir Terry Pratchett, Diggers

sigpic As nutty as a fruitcake. Mmmmmmm cake.

https://blog.wizards-tower.co.uk

Comment

• Went to have a look from a distance at this new water reservoir (see message 496 on p. 62 of this thread if you're interested). It is huge. Much, much bigger than 20 x 30 metres. And it's open air. So there will be a lot of evaporation in summer too. Mr Snoop couldn't believe his eyes when he saw it. It's mounded up, so who knows how deep it is. In height it dwarfs the lorries parked around the site. A very depressing sight. Goodness only knows what it's for. A large flat area has been cleared, but no excavations dug out so far.

Comment

• Sick of answereing the phone today so far,5 times 2 scams from india about my computer,had this a while ago,next 3 just say good by,if i ignore it,it could be important,as we do get other calls,and am trying to do things outside,and its bloomin hot,i say bloomin hot,am itchy and damp grrr.
              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Just watched local news. A Barnsley council want to turn a park into a road extension so drivers don’t have to waste too much time getting into the centre of Barnsley.
                I really don’t want to upset anyone as I use buses, friends cars and cabs.
                However, with regular references to child and adult obesity, global warming, mental health issues and environmental concerns do we really need another green space sacrificed to transport

Rant over.
                I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

• As of this evening I will no longer own chickens. Rehoming them. I will miss them.

More sad than rant.

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                    As of this evening I will no longer own chickens. Rehoming them. I will miss them.

More sad than rant.
                    Sorry to hear that SP , I had to do the same this year. My electric fence wasn't keeping the badger/fox out and they were getting slowly picked off - we just couldn't understand out they were getting in.

My rant - don't try to catch your just soldered chunk of hot metal between your legs when you accidently drop it out of the tweezers!

Comment

• My daughter and son in law booked a hotel to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary with friends and family.
                      They paid the deposit at the weekend.
                      Tonight they were told the hotel has closed down.
                      Deposit gone and very little time to find anywhere else as the date is September 8th.
                      She is just distraught.

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• I've got my mother coming over to Ireland tomorrow to visit us for the week.
                        .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

• Why wont my mom admit she can be wrong. Took a large tub of sloes over to her for a friend of hers. She takes one look at them and tells me I'm wrong they are small damsons that I've picked to early.

So I point out I've got them off a fellow plot holder who has been on the site 20+ years so he does know what he has on his plot. She was still arguing with me over them so I said her "Prove me wrong then take a bite into one" So she did.

Well her face was a picture.
                          Last edited by noviceveggrower; 23-08-2018, 04:28 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

• I’m cold so I had a look at the heating thingy - it said 14 so I’ve put it on.
                            It’s OK though as it’s August. Ha Ha.

Comment

• My rant is that I’m so piggin stupid (as if regulars don’t know that already).
                              We have a garage/basic shopping/Post Office/MOT two minutes walk away.
                              We needed milk and OH said he’d go and take Mags, our younger 9 year old with him.

Anyhow, OH came back and over an hour later I couldn’t find Mags anywhere.

She was still at the garage. Thankfully, they have a water bowl by the dog ring.

I’m gob smacked because I know the OH has EOD and didn’t realise that it had progressed so far.

Mags has the hump but is fine.

I must remember my OH can no longer ..............,
                              Last edited by Lumpy; 28-08-2018, 01:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lumpy View Post
                                he’d go and take Mags, our younger 9 year old ,
                                It took me a while, but I’m still unsure ... is Mags a child or a doggo? I’ve walked home from the shop before, only to realise I’d driven to it and forgot to bring the car back with me

My rant: it now takes 2-3 hours to purchase any item or get anything done. The roads are so busy with holiday traffic, roadworks and then we get ‘bridgers’ on top (we have 3 bridges over water and 2 level crossings for trains, so you’re highly likely to hit one or even two per trip).

I try to plan my journeys and get several jobs done at once, but frequently these days I get to a shop for an item that’s allegedly stocked by said shop, only to find it not stocked by that branch, sold out, or not on special offer (after it’d shown as on offer on my app).
                                Add in being unable to park close by (I don’t mind walking, but I can’t carry more than one bag of shopping), then having to move the car to visit another shop miles away for sold out item, rude members of the public pushing and shoving, litter and filth everywhere ... I just hate leaving the house these days.
                                And I’ve been carrying tins around with me because all the can recycle banks have disappeared (my home recycling is full from a recent Amazon delivery).

This is why people shop online and the high street’s dying.
                                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X