Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garden Organic Plans to Close Ryton Organic Gardens.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bikermike View Post
    depending on their definition of supporters, they already do (I certainly pay my subs)...
    Yes, but they want to use that money for education, and presumably to become more self-sustaining, you want them to use it to run a show garden, so what I'm saying is pool your subs, buy the garden from them and run it yourselves.

(I visited in 1987, and haven't been since, even though it is "just up the road" from me, and I used to drive out that way regularly. There was nothing there that Geoff Hamilton wasn't demonstrating on GW and he had a better looking garden.)
    Last edited by mothhawk; 24-03-2018, 10:00 PM.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

Although I was a member for several years, Ryton was too far away for a day trip, so I've never visited. Over the years, the only "return" I've had from OG/HSL were 6 packets of seeds a year and a couple of magazines - but membership fees have increased steadily, to a point when I could no longer justify the cost.

I know there are initiatives for composters and master this and thats - but there is nothing in Wales, or many other parts of the UK. It has always seemed to concentrate on Ryton/Midlands and London. I have reservations about how the Trustees would use the money raised from the sale of Ryton. Would they really use it to "educate" the rest of the UK or will it still be the same areas?

The Trustees appear to be unconcerned about consulting the membership and intent upon doing whatever they want. This attitude has alienated me from wanting to be part of it. I'm sorry for the genuine people who have worked at Ryton and put a lot of their soul into it - I hope there is a solution.

Meanwhile, I have shares in the local Organic market garden and buy seeds from Realseeds. To me, they are the genuine face of organic gardening and the ones I believe in.

Comment

I am also a fan of Realseeds when it comes to organic seeds, I like their non commercial approach. What I consider, gardeners for gardeners
        Last edited by Greenleaves; 25-03-2018, 09:09 AM.

Comment

I think they do do useful stuff - the campaign against bee-unfriendly pesticides beig a case in point, ditto education.

I don't think it's fair to say the only return is a few seeds: you don't get a tangible return if you give to eg save the children.

however, I do question divesting themselves of assets. the idea that it be sold off is madness (unless the land was bought on a mortgage and the cost outweighs the income. if cashflow is a problem, why get rid of the seed business.

I don't think Ryton should be judged on footfall - alton towers gets a bigger footfall, does that mean we should copy them? research gardening is generally dull, ditto seed storage, but it needs to be done.

Comment

I am a member, but only of the HSL, not GO, so I am unclear whether I get any say in the AGM or could vote on anything at all.

I went to GO HQ for a tour once and liked a lot of what was actively being looked after. Unfortunately about half of it was cordoned off and not in use, including a huge orchard section. Living in London I am more likely to whiz over to Wisley, Kew or Hampton Court to look at how things are grown, but that's cos it's a 3 hour round trip to get to Ryton, compared with way less than an hour for the other three.
            http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Twitter today saying "Garden Organic founders, Jackie & Alan Gear, who helped Lawrence Hills set up HDRA, have today joined the campaign to save the 22 acres of organic gardens. Their statement can be found on our new website https://saverytongardens.com"

Comment

There was an Update in September ..........

https://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/new...-ryton-gardens

Comment

........and more about the probable sale to Coventry University.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...vF5BRGq_6P5XkA

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X