Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

welcome to scotland folks

Comment

It's snowed here all day but not settled, that's the sort of snow I don't mind.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Got about 5ins here today and still falling heavily

Comment

On and off flurries, nothing on the ground and one of our local weather presenters has seemingly said that those who can work from home should!! Honestly?!! (Hope I've not tempted fate there...if you don't hear from me tomorrow, bring a shovel! )
          sigpic

Comment

It finally snowed and laid last night, about and inch or so. Carol hates the stuff due to an accident driving in it decades ago an had a sleepless night worrying until I said I'd drive her to work.

Woke extra early, decent covering of snow and -6 temp. Took Carol to the hospital/work then came home and headed off in the other direction for my work. Much less on the gound at my work and now by 10:45 it's melted and the roads are dry except in the shady areas.

It does seem to be in localised showers, 15 miles north of here it was drifting this morning and causing problems on the A14. Car washers stayed frozen for the two hours driving I did first thing, had to stop and rub snow on the screen a couple of times to wash off the muck.

It will be a fun round trip this evening to collect herself through all the rush hour traffic, but better that way.
            Stay safe everyone, it's not over yet and your turn might be next. Remember the birds and pop in on an elderly or vulnerable neighbour too if you get the chance.

Comment

Saw a few flakes yesterday. See I'm not in any yellow or orange zone for next few days. All good here.

Comment

had plenty here.........cancelled work and took the dogs up by the river,you can see it coming in from the wash.....
                Attached Files

Comment

Heads up....only today and tomorrow left to enter the snow creation comp!

So far we only have 1entry...

Even a snow angel is worth entering!

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ml#post1581598
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

^^^^^^^^^Snow comp???? We haven't had enough to make a small snow ball.....

Now I have tempted fate, will be snowed in tomorrow..
                    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Heavy showers on and off in the Gatwick area. At the office watching through a window..
                      Thinking I might leave the car here as I'm 99% certain my route return journey won't have been gritted come this evening and I don't want to have to abandon the car somewhere or sleep in it. Least here it's inside a gated compound. I'll probably get a train back tonight (hopefully).. Quite deep on the hills across North Downs already. Anywhere hilly there's ice to contend with, doesn't matter how much or little snow has fallen
                      (Might even be easier just to make a bubblewrap bed and camp here )

Comment

More snow showers in London today
                        Nannys make memories

Comment

Why is it that any snow in the UK causes it to grind to a comlete halt.

About 8-10 years back the news announced that either Northampton or Nottingham was completely cut off after one and a half inches of snow fall. That is not even half way up the wall of a car tyre.

No trains running here today or a reduced service, only problem was no snow either.

Comment

Kirk it is because we are turning into a nation of .......snowflakes ourselves.

Slightest excuse for a day off and everything stops, no determination to get the job done.

I was at school from 51 till Christmas 61 never remember getting a day of because of snow, the masters made the effort so we kids had to get there as well, if it meant walking 2 or 3 miles then set off early. SWMBO was at school in Buxton in the High Peak for the same period they never got a day off either.

During the bad winter of 63 (sometimes referred to as 'the big freeze') I was working for EMGAS, if the bus didn't arrive it was tool bag over shoulder and walk, thank goodness most of the time the buses kept going though I am not sure how.

Trains froze to the tracks, dug out, thawed out and up and going, now they stop them at the mere threat of snow. Though there was one occasion down south I think where one loco got stuck on a branch line and so did the two rescue locos as well, they were left there for about 5 weeks I believe as the line was considered not important enough to use the manpower required.
                            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

It's been snowing all night here.
                              And still snow as we are going to bed.
                              Stay warm and safe and drive carefully,

And when your back stops aching,
                              And your hands begin to harden.
                              You will find yourself a partner,
                              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                                Kirk it is because we are turning into a nation of .......snowflakes ourselves..
                                have to agree to that, people taught to take cover and cower, although we did have a case during the last snow spell, in january I think, up on the moors here, a 74 year old man, totally isolated, sub zero, power cut off, phone cut, forget mobile reception, after five days he decided to walk cross country, through the snow to the nearest people five or six miles away, we certainly used to breed them tough

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X