No announcement yet.

Hurricane Ophelia...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The yellow sky has cleared here now and its blue/grey with sun and flurries of leaves.

Comment

Yellow skies here as well, very dreary looking!
      He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Mousetrousers View Post
        I'm a mile from the coast of Morecambe Bay and the sky is a funny yellow colour.
        Much the same here, the other side of the bay from you. It certainly gave the sky a look of impending doom.

I suspect that the yellow colour is from the Saharan dust that's been picked up, which also gave people with not much cloud a rather spectacular red sunrise this morning.

At least, I hope it's that and not that a lot of the stuff dumped in Beaufort's Dyke back in 1945 has decided to leak ;-)

Still, on the good side, almost all of my recently sown broad beans have come up now, and the onions have started putting in an appearance too.

Comment

My shiny black car is covered in red spots from the dust
          Need a good downpour to wash it off. Its not often I wish for rain but that's preferable to washing a dusty car.

Comment

This animated weather site looks rather spectacular today;

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=54.2;-3.3;5&l=gust&w=strong
            Last edited by chris_m; 16-10-2017, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Just seen a photo taken from space, the storm is centred over Ireland and is that big you cannot see the island itself.
              Last edited by Potstubsdustbins; 16-10-2017, 02:20 PM.
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

There's an orange/red sun shining in a grey sky here - very strange..

Comment

In the west of Ireland, where I used to live, normal storms can be quite scary, and just a windy day can knock you off your feet if you aren't careful. This one looks a bit worse than normal, but the Irish seem to be well prepared for it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	22448599_10154701093786626_1632471203267127403_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	2375386

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                    There's an orange/red sun shining in a grey sky here - very strange..
                    Same here Thelma.....the clouds have an orange/yellow glow to them.
                    If it was winter you'd almost think it was going to snow.

We had a quick downpour in the night and everywhere is covered with a fine layer of Saharan sand.
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Well, as it turned out the whole country was on red alert and was put on lockdown.
                      All schools and stores closed.
                      Public transport suspended for the day.
                      Anybody who could, were told to work from home.
                      The west and south of the country were absolutely hammered.
                      The wind here in Dublin was very severe but has died down somewhat.
                      My greenhouse is still standing as is my conservatory so thats a plus.
                      For anybody in the path of this storm stay indoors as the winds are horrendous.

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Glad you're OK, bramble. Must be very scary. I've seen some of the photos on the news Sounds like all the schools are closed tomorrow too.
                        Stay safe, everyone.

Comment

Very windy here although not as bad as Ireland. A-frame for french beans is down & has taken out an arch covered in gigantes beans with it, plus teepee of runners gone. So far greenhouses ok (fingers crossed). Trampoline ok as I took the netting down this morning.

Inset day for children's school today, but think all the open ones closed early.

Went to a friends house for children to play, & a branch landed 6 inches in front of where I'd parked.

All in all been lucky,, will be looking for roof tiles tomorrow.
                          Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Is nice to hear your safe Bramble,the sky and atmoshpere were really erie,we have had worst winds other years,seems ti's on the way to Scotland,stay safe on the islands
                            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Whilst watching the news they showed a complete numpty swimming in the sea while the wind was lashing and the waves were crashing. I really agree with the commentator who said that the person would expect others to put themselves at risk if the person needed to be rescued.

Piggin heck there are some daft inconsiderate people about. I really hope they did not get into trouble so that others would not have to put themselves at risk for the selfish dufuss!
                              I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

One of the reports stated that the yellow tinged sky might not be just Sahara dust but also fumes and ash from the fires in Portugal.

Did anyone else see the numpty on the news swimming out to sea, in the middle off it all. I know if I was one of the emergency teams he would be on his own.
                                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X