No announcement yet.

Thugs in the garden

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another terrible thug in my garden is elder. At least it's more useful than the Virginia creeper because its flowers can be made into elderflower champagne or cordial, and its berries into wine or jam. I'm always intending to make those nice things but usually I don't get round to it.

And it's good food for the birds, but that's the cause of the problem because they drop the seeds everywhere, and they germinate easily and grow very fast. Before I know it I've got a whole elder forest. It also likes to grow in little crevices and cracks in concrete where it's impossible to remove the roots.

Comment

Snap Sariss!!

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
        Ground Elder is my bane, it was here when I bought the house, ex council gardener used to own our place owner before last, he brought everything home from work they didn't want including this flippin' weed.
        I have that I dig tons of it out every year - it ruins my flower borders. I'm toying with the idea of weed killer but don't think I would get it all. I also have a ton of ivy.
        Bay trees seem to do well here, they always grow super fast and then I need ladders to chop them back.

Comment

I have another thug in my garden. To be quite honest I like it, it's not upsetting my neighbours and it smells wonderful when it flowers. But, I think it was planted as part of a hedge in the '50's, it now has 11 trunks. There were 13 but we chopped 2 down earlier this year. The problem is that the trunks seem to be made of iron. We have to stop sawing after a few minutes to let the chainsaw cool down. We ran out of time because of bird nesting season. This is why my plants are in containers and not in beds or the poly tunnel. It's viburnum. I've taken a photo but don't know how to upload it from my phone to this site. I would like to keep some of it but it's stopping the sun getting to the garden.
          "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
          "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
          Oxfordshire

Comment

Here ya go, Janie http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...one_94345.html

Comment

I'll think about it. For someone with a degree in IT I can be a bit of a whatever.
              "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
              Oxfordshire

Comment

Janie - this site is designed (I use the term loosely) to upset those of us with an IT qualification
                sigpic
                1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

For those with ground elder https://scottishforestgarden.wordpre...-ground-elder/

Luckily I've killed all mine off.
                  Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
                    Janie - this site is designed (I use the term loosely) to upset those of us with an IT qualification
                    Especially those who were knocking 50 when they got it!
                    Oxfordshire

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X