I think it's for squashing Spanish slugs with - you know how big they get
    Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Originally posted by happyhumph View Post
      I think it's for squashing Spanish slugs with - you know how big they get
      Nutter....

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
        Too dark now and i have left the plot.....or lost it!

Handle is standard hoe length VC

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71605[/ATTACH]

The attached is the closest I can find on the tinterweb but mine has more acute angles
        Trust you to have one with a cute angle
        I'm trying to understand how it would be used - presumably drawn toward you rather than pushed away. Would the edge of the blade slice or is the angle wrong?

My simple mind needs to know how to use it before deciding what it is

Comment

I don't know what its proper name is but I know I would use it as a tattie planting hoe initialy then as a ridging hoe between the rows for earthing up!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            Trust you to have one with a cute angle
            I'm trying to understand how it would be used - presumably drawn toward you rather than pushed away. Would the edge of the blade slice or is the angle wrong?

My simple mind needs to know how to use it before deciding what it is
            You draw it towards

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
              I don't know what its proper name is but I know I would use it as a tattie planting hoe initialy then as a ridging hoe between the rows for earthing up!
              My plan Snadger

Comment

A Warren hoe is also called a ridging hoe.

Looking at the head (which seems heavily made by todays standards) and considering how long it has been in use could it have been made by say a local blacksmith? Or did your granddad have an engineering back ground if so its quite likely he made it himself.
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

its a ducks foot tine its the wrong way up the other end fits on a frame and they are used for inter row weeding, ransomes used then on their small track machine mg5 or behind a small tractor
                  I still have some

Comment

..............although they may be used "the wrong way round" on some machines, I also think that 80/90 years ago, it is quite feasible that this is the original tool that was used to work the land & was adapted for machinery.
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Oh I have got it!

Its a snooker cue rest. Used for tables with big balls.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                        A Warren hoe is also called a ridging hoe.

Looking at the head (which seems heavily made by todays standards) and considering how long it has been in use could it have been made by say a local blacksmith? Or did your granddad have an engineering back ground if so its quite likely he made it himself.
                        My grandad was a farmhand Potty

Comment

Then probably the local blacksmith. My father born in 1901 was an engineer for Arthur Barbers on Quorn Road in Nottingham, after he died I inherited 3 boxes of his tools among them were quite a few hand made tools for special jobs.

I don't know what era were talking about, but I doubt there were many propriety hand tools around in farming communities, most would have been made to order in the local smithy.
                          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I have a 1932 tractor that has a tool bar to fit that tool its laying on its back so if you stood it up and turned it around that's how it would be used , some had holes in the top for height adjustment others were clamped in the frame , its too heavy to be used by hand, the foot can be changed for a right angle half ducks foot to reach up to the side of the rows or a straight foot for cultivating
                            earlier they would have been used on a horse drawn implement or horse drawn steerage hoe
                            Last edited by Kier; 19-02-2017, 11:09 PM.

Comment

We have a farm heritage centre close by so took for them to see.

It a furrow hoe, and hand tool used from around 1905. The blades were made to a set pattern but a Smith would set the neck to the user which would be dependent on height.

Although heavy by modern standards it was made to deal with heavy soil.

Thanks for the suggestions

Comment

To me it looked like a Plymouth hoe used for drawing conclusions.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X