Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non-standard construction

Hi,
    has anybody had any experience of buying/living in a non-standard construction property? We don't need a mortgage so that problem is solved, just wanted any suggestions what to look for

thanks

Because you don't need a mortgage the problem is down the road, when you want to sell, your market is somewhat restricted to people that are cash buyers and looking for that type of property at the time you want/need to sell it. The resale is likely to be slower but the purchase price (and resale) are lower than equivelent standard construction. Insurance I don't know about in this regard but you should enquire.

Comment

Personally, I would avoid. As ESB has already said it's further down the road when you want to sell up that you may find it difficult, especially in this day and age the way finances are. I'm only speaking for myself and only you can decide mrsw!
      sigpic

Comment

Folloing on from my and Jays earlier comments, ofton the site has most of the value. A developer might buy it because getting planning to demolish and rebuild is easier than building on a green field site.

You could even develop it yourselves if you have spare 'pokey' but otherwise modifications and enhancements don't always add value 20 years down the line.

That said lots of people live quite happily in such properties, there are still thousands of WWII prefabs inhabited and looking quite prim and proper. Near where I work there are some converted Airfield buildings that are now bungalows, again very old non standard construction. Make it water tight and insulate thouroughly and I bet you can't tell the difference inside.

Comment

We had a non-standard construction house when we first got married. It had a big concrete beam holding it up, I can't remember the actual term. It was a nice enough house and we lived there for over 5 years but when we wanted to do an exchange for a new house they wouldn't entertain it. The house itself might be fine but, as others have said, it could be difficult to sell.
          A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

What kind of construction are you looking at? As Kevin mentioned, insurance could be an issue.

Comment

if i'm honest i'm not sure what it is, i'm waiting for the agent to ring me back. It's a bungalow,looking at it i'd say prefab,we're hoping not to move again but who can predict the future eh? Thing is its got a fair bit of land with it which is why it caught my attention

Comment

once you know, do a bit of research.Where I live bungalows are in demand and disappear within 30 seconds of going up for sale, I'm not sure the construction would be even a consideration (unless straw, or jelly or something :P) - just don't rush into anything. If its meant to be its meant to be!

Comment

As a Structural Engineer I get to see a lot of non standard properties, some are nearing or exceeding their life expectancy, I have recommend that some are demolished on undertaking opening up works and inspections. Some will continue to function adequately for many years to come and out live me.

Find out if it is a particular type or style, many were given names some of which included the name of the fabricator or manufacturer and builder. Find out what you are dealing with, the Estate Agent if competent should have some idea what it is they are selling, find out if it is

Steel Frame
                  Concrete Frame
                  Composite Steel Frame & Concrete Clad
                  Composite Steel Frame & Concrete Clad - later modified and brick skin added.
                  Composite Steel Frame & Concrete Clad - later modified and brick skin and pitched roof added
                  Steel Frame, Masonry outer leaf timber & Plasterboard inner leaf
                  Steel Frame & Asbestos
                  Timber frame & Asbestos - Lots of theses still being used as holiday chalets on the Isle of Sheppey etc.
                  Etc.

I live in a house made with terracotta hollow blocks as an inner leaf and they have early TRADA bolted trusses at every fourth rafter which is smaller than the traditional cut & pitch roof. But I knew what I was dealing with when I bought it.
                  Last edited by Cadalot; 14-02-2017, 02:02 PM.
                  sigpic
                  . .......Man Vs Slug
                  Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                  Nutters Club Member

Comment

My Brother and Sister in Law live in a huge NSC 3 bed in Gedney. They have had no problems with it in the last 12 years of living there.
                    I know that they have insurance etc as they were talking about re-newal a few weeks ago.

As far as re-sale is concerned they have looked into that quite recently and, as others have said the price is always going to be lower than standard construction but the estate agents they bought it from at Sutton Bridge has offered them a cash buy if they decide to sell so that it can be used for private rental.
                    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

A thatched cottage or timber framed building is NSC

The bungalow is probably prefabricated and as such has a limited life span due to the materials used.

Try this site https://www.homeprotect.co.uk/

Or what Cads says
                      Last edited by Greenleaves; 14-02-2017, 02:53 PM. Reason: Cross posted with Cads

Comment

thanks folks, i'm still waiting to hear from the agents, but be assured I will do plenty of research, and probably ask a few more questions! As I've said we're in no rush as we have the caravan but want to keep all our options open......watch this space

Comment

Is it just possible,depending on what its made up off,that it can have some work done to it,to get a different statuse on it,or live in your van and have a new build,another thought is,if demolished,would the founds and foot print be good enough,to build with only building regs,several years ago,our then next door had a wooden bungalow,they had it clad with bricks,so not only were founds dug out for the bricks,but also,bit by bit was underpined,made a nice place of it,
                          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I live in 3 bed bisf prefab. Do not laminate upstairs, do not put tiles in your kitchen unless you get underfloor heating but with a solid concrete floor its gonna be expensive, do get a tidy roof on the shed/toilet downstairs, main roof was asbestos tiles, do plasterboard inside (walls are like cardboard), upstairs toilet soil pipe is in the wall.. it gets blocked easily (this might be down to my kids though) external wall insulation has not made any difference in the 2 years it's been done, also look at the plumbing (my upstairs gets heated first.....) so other than spending a lot on heating it (I'm one of those cold people) it's been fine for the last 9 years.
                            Last edited by Teabag; 14-02-2017, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Interesting isn't it. What is called non-standard construction belongs to, I think, after 1930ish. My house was built around 1790, and added to in 1820. Nowadays it's not considered nsc because of its age. The walls at road level are over 2ft thick. By the time you get to the eaves they are single skin.

My new next door neighbour is a friend of about 15 years so I got a lot of questions when he was buying. The most interesting was that the surveyor came up with was that the windowsills didn't comply with modern building regs as they were too low. What! Did he really expect the sills to be raised in a 200 year old cottage?

So, my point is, nsc depends on the age of the building and the opinion of a surveyor. It's entirely up to you. If you love the house, intend to stay there til you shuffle then you won't give a monkeys what the surveyor thinks. Any other reason then look into it further
                              "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                              "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                              Oxfordshire

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X