No announcement yet.

Donkeys.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would say geese if you just want to keep grass down. Watch out in winter as they will nibble at hedges and choose you breed carefully as the larger breeds will readily eat bark. Also if you have any boys you will have to watch yourself. My boy is only ok with me but come summer I have to watch Arnie (yes, he will have my back!). You could also get away with some of the larger breeds of ducks if you don't mind lots of wet puddley poos. Oh and if you go on holiday no one will look after them

Livestock on a small scale is very much a personally choice and likely to be an expensive pet or meal. Anything with split hooves requires transport documents and the land registered etc. Also anyone thinking of sheep it is worth considering soay sheep, a rare breed but they are self sheding.

Don't you just love the good life!!!

Edit: You also want some ginger piggies (tamworths) for your menagerie and post lots of piccies of them
    Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 03-02-2017, 01:37 PM.

Comment

My OHs grandad has a smallholding with a very old horse and some pretty old ducks. He got 4 self-shedding sheep last year so he didn't need to mow the field - best thing he ever did. He adores them, they follow him around and are surprisingly obedient!

Comment

After measuring, thinking and pricing, (ok, being told by my wife that it's 100% not happening) the Donkeys wont be coming. Much and all as I think Sheep drop dead just for the fun of it, the new plan is to get a few sheep. Every year we'll rear a lamb to be butchered and it'll keep us fed. The grass is kept down and my tummy is kept full so it's mostly positives.

It's a big enough garden to keep a sheep or two fed so all I need is to keep water to them. If I put up a shelter for them it only needs to be small. They'll be surrounded by tall hedges to keep out of the wind and rain anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Darwin. View Post
          Every year we'll rear a lamb to be butchered and it'll keep us fed.
          Aye, until it's time to do it & your wife says its 100% not happening.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X