No announcement yet.

Stolen Wheelie Bin

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^Be careful. Some councils provide numbers for bins when requested and can fine you if they have anything else on them. Although it is rare to be fined, it can happen . Same as leaving bins out in public spaces.

Comment

Originally posted by FB. View Post
      Hmmm......

I might bluff it, knock on the neighbours doors and say something like:

'......Someone nicked our blue bin. Before I spend a couple of hours checking recordings from the car cams, I thought I'd take the easy option of knocking on doors asking if anyone knew where it went.....'
      Please do not take this the wrong way but you're sounding a bit obsessed about a simple bin. Is it really worth getting this het up about it and spying on your neighbours sounds like a sure fire recipe for escalating problems. I wouldn't use phrases like "somebody's nicked" as that's immediately confrontational. Fair easier to just say it's gone missing and ask if it's been seen. With regards your waste, as the recyclets are clean they won't smell, just put it in bin bags for now and if your neighbours don't give you a clue then just get another bin from the council. Life is too short to make a scene over something as minor as this.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by FB. View Post
        It's good enough to see who puts out two bins.
        Can't you do that by walking down the road on bin day?
        I must be missing something here

Comment

I can see why you are upset about your bin but go easy. You never know if there's someone like my hubby involved. A couple of weeks ago I, for the first time ever due to illness, asked my hubby to fetch the bin in. It was only 2 days later (when feeling better) I discovered that we had 2 green bins (neither of them mine!) despite the fact mine has our house number in very big letters!! He didn't realise we all had our own and thought we had two! We do but one is green and one brown and they go out on different weeks.

I ended up going round the neighbours apologising and returning their bins. They were very understanding and one admitted that her partner wasn't fully housetrained either.

Mistakes do happen.

Comment

Hmm, I have a confession I nicked my neighbours bin recently when I was doing a major garden clear up. I've got compost bins but they were full so I used the neighbours green bin because they were on hols I dont have a bin but put it on my side of the road... The dustmen didn't pick it up because it wasn't in its usual spot!

Thankfully my neighbour saw the funny side

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              Can't you do that by walking down the road on bin day?
              I must be missing something here
              The bins are always put in a group because the houses surround the council-owned bit of road.

Comment

Then look at the group of bins for the one with your number and take it back!

Comment

We had a bin taken by neighbours a few years ago, I retrieved it on bin day and promptly gloss-painted our house number on each side in big numbers - it hasn't gone missing since then.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                    Please do not take this the wrong way but you're sounding a bit obsessed about a simple bin. Is it really worth getting this het up about it and spying on your neighbours sounds like a sure fire recipe for escalating problems. I wouldn't use phrases like "somebody's nicked" as that's immediately confrontational. Fair easier to just say it's gone missing and ask if it's been seen. With regards your waste, as the recyclets are clean they won't smell, just put it in bin bags for now and if your neighbours don't give you a clue then just get another bin from the council. Life is too short to make a scene over something as minor as this.
                    I don't think it's 'OK' to just help yourself to someone else's bin to get rid of your rubbish at their expense. It's downright selfish.
                    Why couldn't the neighbour stockpile their rubbish?
                    Why should I try to stockpile mine?
                    Why should bad manners and stealing be overlooked or even rewarded?

Many local authorities now charge tens of pounds for a new wheelie bin - and during the Christmas period they're not going to hurry one out to me. Why should I pay for a new bin so one of the neighbours can get away with theft of mine?

Comment

I understand your frustration.....in the mean time, are you near enough to take your recycling waste to a local tip?
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Because you stil dont know for sure if your neighbour DID take your bin.
                        Because if they did take it you still have to have them as neighbours and I am sure you dont want to make enemies.
                        The gentle approach is always the best.

And when your back stops aching,
                        And your hands begin to harden.
                        You will find yourself a partner,
                        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Order a new one from the council. And watch our for yours.

Ask your neighbours if you can put your recycling in their bin as yours has gone missing.

Comment

I am fortunate that I've never had problems with neighbours, but I've known folk who have, one ended up moving house to get away from them.
                            I guess it depends on where you live as to how you go forward with this, in a small community you would hope folk would get on and problems would be resolved easily. Different in an area where there is no community spirit, I doubt the council or the Police would be interested in solving the problem, make sure you understand what the consequences of your actions could be.

Comment

My feelings about this is that it's the principle of your bin being nicked rather then the bin itself. I do hope you find it but, if you have to get a new one, tell your council what's happened and ask if you can paint your house number on it then you won't get into trouble.
                              I work very hard so please don't expect me to think as well!

Comment

If my bin went missing I would never think it had been "stolen". Been returned to the wrong house, been taken by a neighbour in error, had been damaged and removed, was hidden behind the hedge and so on but never stolen.
                                Then I'd go and look for it and ask if anyone had picked up the wrong bin. Seems so simple to me

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X