Permaculture -My take on it

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permaculture -My take on it

My gardening style has evolved as I get older, into what is fancifully termed as 'permaculture.'
    I've always loved gardening and had a small walled garden that i built myself when I was eight years old. I even built the wall.
    My Uncles smallholding also gave me an affinity with nature and the realisation that most livestock actually looked after themselves with very little input from humans.
    I grew flowers and veggies in my little garden and built hen houses from tin sheeting when i was about 10 years old. The hen houses were constructed of whatever i could find lying around and this gave me free reign in design. Because i had no way of cutting tin sheeting it was burried in the ground to the desired height and fastened to a wooden frame work with rusty nails that I had straightened.
    We also had ducks and geese which roamed in a small wooded area. I dug a pond for them and channeled a small stream into it and out of it. No liner was required as there was always water running through it.
    There was no mowing of the site as the geese were the lawnmowers.

When I was 20 I was married with a mortgage and a small child. I purposely bought a house with a large garden and although I had a seperate vegetable patch, flowers and shrubs were my passion at the time as I had a well paid job and didn't need to grow fruit and veg and didn't realise the taste difference!

In my thirties I started to get into fruit and vegetable gardening as a hobby and grew stuff traditionally, but seperate from the flowers and shrubs.

In my forties, and before the allotment boom started I had my first allotment. No flowers, and veg grown traditionally with copious ammounts of cow muck worked into the soil.

In my fifties i moved house and took on two derelict allotments. Raised beds were coming back into fashion so this was the method I adopted.I used to enjoy digging and was good and fast at digging beds At about this time I read Geoff Hamiltons Ornamental Kitchen Garden and watched The Victorian Kitchen Garden so tried to emulate both of these.
    I am also a fan of Bob Flowerdew who was less anal about how things looked and more at one with nature I felt.
    In my late 50's I incorporated a pond and adopted my own method of 'Pocket ' planting within the already formed beds. I was now a lot less formal and started to rebel against straight lines (seldom found in nature.)
    I found that the pond brought the frogs, which ate the slugs. The flowers brought the bees which pollinated my plants.
    In my sixties I adopted the 'No dig' stance, not because I couldn't dig, but because I just couldn't see the point in it. By then I had read Ruth Stoute's 'no dig' philosophy and our very own and sadly deceased 'Supersprouts' posts on the vine. I was adapting an ornamental bed system into a no dig system which seemed like an anathama.
    I then took on a derelict plot and after a lot of clearance have a vision in mind. It is wooded on one side so fits in with the modern definition of Permaculture.
    I need to stress that my form of Permaculture has evolved without knowing what it was called. Its just after reading about permaculture today that I realised this is the path I have taken.
    The majority of my plot was just flattened the best I could then covered with cardboard. I had a lot of pasterboard to get rid of so spread this on top of the cardboard. Plasterboard is Gypsum and the main weed present was an acid loving ranuculus (creeping buttercup) My theory was that the addition of gypsum would lower the acidity and deter the buttercup. I then dug holes and dropped a spud in each, the hole was then filled in with horse muck and left to get on with it.

I now have a lovely crop of clean potatoes and as I dig them up the soil gets a tickle and any debris like glass/stones/metal is removed. Up to now I haven't come across any creeping buttercup.
    The other side of the plot was just covered with cardbaord and mulched with straw. This has alsorts of veggies and flowers growing through the mulch but very few weeds. So much so, that I am contemplating covering the whole plot with straw next year.
    Once I cleared the old buildings off the plot the workload on the plot has been minimal. Ideally I would like to grow hard fruit and nut trees but because of my age I may not reap the benefits! A pond is anecessity though and i still need to build a chiclem coop and run.
    To me, permaculture is a reduction in work and time but still giving a respectable yeild of fruit and veg.
    I have been looking at some of these deep bed methods with trenches and logs and large raised beds on top. Once these are created I imagine they will be very productive but the time and work creating them outweighs the advantages as far as I can see.
    So for me growing the right things in the right place through cardboard and straw and sitting in my summerhouse in mid winter feeling toasty from the woodburner, watching the wildlife in the woods, the frost on the branches, no bare earth to be seen,and dozing off in my comfy chair. Thats my kind of permaculture.

PS If you've read this far,apologies for the epic thread!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

My OHs apprenticeship was for gypsum , massive part of his life, makes me smile when you mention your plasterboard
    Lovely to read , get some history .

...and your take on permaculture is what I'm looking for
    Last edited by Containergardener; 26-07-2016, 09:08 PM.
    Northern England.

Comment

a very timely post snadger....this afternoon I got an idea of starting a good nettlle patch. alsod thinking of covering the whole plot with straw. however I have many questions of how to hold the straw mulch in windy weathers.

I have dotted all my tomato's here and there this year. each plant looks so unique. been hard to think of them to be cordons. must of them like a marigold bushes ( half of them struggled with my planting and still in 2 or 3 stems.

potatos got slugs. better to set a pond near to potatoes

Comment

Snadger - great read - most enjoyable :-)
        Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Good on you, Snadge Lovely way to garden.
          I've evolved in much the same way - although without a garden as a kid - just my gramp's allotment!
          Makes sense to me to work with what you have, not try to fight against nature.
          I've been on permaculture courses and surprised myself by finding that I was already following the principles without knowing it.

Comment

Excellent read Snadge, Cheers!.............I don't know if you came across this thread but works hand in hand with what you're doing:

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...-method-2.html
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Brilliant read Snadger. I'll have to look up permaculture though , I thought it was growing the same plant permanently
              Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

your take on this is very similar to mine...
                Tried this and that and gently evolved into a more laid back let it be kind of gardener.

For me pivotal moments have been;
                A visit to the Beth Chatto gardens and unexpectedly bumping into the lady herself. Her gardens were absolutely thrumming with life and she stopped to ask me where were my shoes? I explained I'd taken them off because the grass was the greenest I ever saw and ridiculously tempting to toes and she laughed and thanked me for the compliment...and told me who she was. Her garden thrived, she said, because she never tried to save plants. If they don't like it they needn't stay. If they're happy, they'll grow and reproduce.

Reading 'Gaia's Garden' by Toby Hemenway. Clever, clever man and so 'normal'. He's not rebellious or new fangled, doesn't preach. Just makes perfect sense.

Coming to terms with impending disability, after the crashing despair came a realisation that that I can put in place a system now, while I'm still able, that will mature to take care of itself (hopefully) at the same rate I mature and cannot.
                There's a balance in that which pleases me.
                http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Great post Snadger, really enjoyed it
                  Nannys make memories

Comment

Really enjoyed reading your post, Snadger.

Hope you manage to get everything off to a flying start, Muddled.

Comment

In case I gave the impression my Uncle was a smallholding owner...........he wasn't. He was a resident Water Board Bailiff. He lived in a gorgeous house next to Hisehope Resevoir with a lot of land around it. He was given the land around the house and a couple of fields to subsidise his meagre wage.

This is an old piccie of the house:-

The nearest neighbour was five mile away, electric was from a big diesel generator, it had coal fires and the water was spring fed (Adams Ale, my Gran used to call it, and she was right!)

I used to love it as a kid as I could be snowed in for weeks at a time in winter, meaning I couldn't get to school.My bedroom was at the front of the house and I remember snow up to the window sill, with sheep peering in through the bedroom window!
                      Attached Files
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Snadger you gave me a warm fuzzy feeling.

I grew up on a farm then a smallholding, in the 60s and 70s techniques were somewhere between modern and occasionally quite victorian. To make a good living modern techniques usually won out.
                        When I got my own small house and garden I had a veg plot and flower boarders, I gradually developed my own strategy for burying anything compostable.
                        Then life and children took up most of my time (I also had a second job as a musician so late nights and late weekend mornings were a feature).
                        Now my home flower beds are much more frieable and get regular mulchings, things grow easily and look great. We took on a plot (first one half the both) and because we are late 50s decided that all raised beds, fruit trees, buildings/constructions would be in the first half, the other half remains open plot for heavy cropping while we can. eventually we will relinquish the second half and concentrate our ageing bones on the original half with it's newish shed, espalier fruit trees, goosberries, strawberries, rasperries, rhubarb, compost bins, asparagas and raised beds all well established and managable in out doteage.
                        I too approach things more in the ways of permaculture with lots of composting, mulching and green manures with cardboard straw and woodchip as major features on the beds.
                        Rather than follow the science of the chemists working for the big companies i find myself following the science led fact finding about how mother nature does it all so much better. I have tried a small hugalkulter bed (buried timbers) this year although I think it may be wasted effort since I have quite nice souil to begin with, but I'm doing mixed crops on the small mound to give nature the chance to fight it's own with it's own.
                        I reckon I pulled at least a dozen small car trailer loads onto the plot this year with Horse muck (2) Pig Muck (2) free council soil conditioner (1) and wood chip (7+) But I still have some horse muck about 3 wheelbarrow loads and all the pig muck composting down nicely plus about 1-2 loads of the woodchip in a heap (and it's feeding the birds with bugs and worms, they dig into it every day). Oh and 1 load of 6 stwaw bales of which I still have 5. So I didn't dig so much but I shovelled a lot ;-)
                        The whole let nature do it's thing is absorbing and I am making nettle tea, comfry tea (I planted some bocking 14 and have access to plenty of nettles in the footpaths about). I use urine for nitrogon and have started to innoculate roots with mycorrhiza when I plant oit, this year being the first experimental. I've also discovered IMOs (indigenous microorganisms) which I am having a bash at making right now, IMO 1 seems quite easy and I will report back with results when known, it might be a little late this season.

Anyway keep up the good work, I look forward to more updates.

Comment

Originally posted by ESBkevin View Post
                          . So I didn't dig so much but I shovelled a lot ;-)
                          Love that line
                          http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

...............just popped a copy of Gaia's Garden into my Amazon basket ...........

And thanks Snadger for sharing your wonderful gardening life ........
                            ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                            a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                            - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

Also, muddled ~ sounds like you've a great plan to accommodate wearying bones........

ESBKevin it will be interesting to see how your plantings using mycorrhiza for inoculating work out ....
                              ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                              a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                              - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X