No announcement yet.

Have You Started Planning For 2017.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out - lady slipper achocha, it is the least productive of the four I grow and it is a gh variety so not worth it.
    I will only grow 30-40 tom plants with cherry types and long ones (black icicle, banana legs and buffalo horn) outside, salad and beefsteaks indoors.
    The melon gh will have toms back in.
    Try and grow less winter squash.
    I need to find a small pumpkin variety to grow though (just 1 - I must be good)
    If Georgia is back next year it is going at the very bottom of the patch.
    Find space for three types of milkweed in the perennial cut flower section
    Master cue growing.

Garden wise lift echiums and pot up, which I didn't realise were tender. That will give space for the other milkweed.
    Possibly plant out and create Belgian lattice fence - maybe the year after.

Comment

Gonna have a bash at growing Milkweed, who knows, a Monarch may just be passing by in need of nourishment..............
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Next year I intend to only grow tomatos indoors although the outdoor ones were very successful, but we dont need so many.
        I will look to get different varieties as there were some I wouldnt grow again due to lack of flavour.
        I will grow my early potatoes again, Colleen and Orla.
        I will grow garlic in the ground and not in containers.
        I will grow onions but not red ones as they seem determined to bolt.
        I wont grow radishes or carrots as I have tried and cant seem to make a success of them.
        Cucumbers also seem to be hit and miss with me but I will probably give them another try.
        I wont grow brassicas due to lack of space.
        I love peas but again, cant give them the space either.
        Going to try growing a lot more herbs and a better selection of salad leaves.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Come the new year it will be nice to revisit this thread.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
            I need to find a small pumpkin variety to grow though (just 1 - I must be good)
            Small sugar pumpkin. To be fair that is my standard answer to any pumpkin question so may not be what you're after

Comment

^^^Sounds good enough to me. I only want a traditional looking pumpkin for the girls. I think I even have small sugar seeds as well. That might be something else I do next year is start being a bit ruthless on my hoard. If the count is 700 in Jan I am putting a seed ban on myself.

Comment

^^^^it'll never happen

Comment

Milkweed will be on the menu in my garden, too ...

Cherry toms only: far superior flavour than others I've grown (unless anyone recommends a good 'un!)

Pumpkins: I want to try different varieties (smallish would be good as they s p r e a d so far!!!)
                  (Again, recommendations welcome!)
                  ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                  a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                  - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

^^^One of our fav. last year was tuffy sweet (from more veg) it is an acorn type. Do you have a preference on sweet, nutty or subtle flavours?

Edit: ignore me just realised you said pumpkin not squash
                    Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 13-09-2016, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
                      ^^^One of our fav. last year was tuffy sweet (from more veg) it is an acorn type. Do you have a preference on sweet, nutty or subtle flavours?

Edit: ignore me just realised you said pumpkin not squash
                      No, don't mind NFG - pumpkins or any squash would be great to try .....I'm finding the pumpkins extraordinary, it's quite thrilling seeing them grow!
                      As to flavour, would like to try nutty and sweet .........(I know, I know, just like me...!!! )
                      ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                      a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                      - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                        Come the new year it will be nice to revisit this thread.
                        Come the end of next year, it will be interesting to see who has actually done what they intended

Comment

Next year I am, going to try growing large onions and leeks from seed, I dont bother growing for shows but would like to give them a try, I will follow APs guide the best I can, as all the grandchildren will be at school the full day I should have more time to attend to them, also grow my potatoes in tubs, which should be sufficiant for the two of us
                          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Go for it Rary,
                            I always have some onion and shallot sets in over winter and do the rest from seed. This year the sets were poor due to early onset of blight so I pinned my hopes on the home grown crop. The banana Shallots are the only thing to be excited about, the bedfordshire champions that normally do so well are very small, I might even use some of them as sets to start next spring. Red onions can't even cover the bottom of the pail.

Comment

I did start then as normal life events interrupted play....................the one thing I do know is not to plant parsnips in the deep raised bed next to the path as we have to wade through the foliage to get to the gate. The sparrows that hide in there from the killer cat are not amused.............I also nearly have heart failure as they twitter and fly up.................thinking of Hyacinth Bucket and the dog in the car on the programme Keeping Up Appearances.

Oh and climbing runners next year because although the bush types have been very productive all the pods end up on the floor.......munch munch munch said Sluggies
                              Last edited by Lumpy; 14-09-2016, 12:00 PM.
                              I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

No matter what else I do, I'm planning a mass-extermination of slugs (probably using beer traps - home made Mild). it's not just the number of them, it's the size - easily 2-3 inches long in some cases.

I read a story about them eating baby birds in their nests!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X