X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
    I've never seen any GH offers in bq
    http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ses_90606.html
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Not bothering with garlic, 2 years of rust, and this year most rotted.

Dig up strawberry bed, raise the soil level, and put in new plants.

Dig out gooseberry bushes, very poor crop, and I don't really like them!

Will replace gooseberry bushes with a couple more blueberry, or maybe another jostaberry

Attempt again to sort out the 'madness' of my raspberries, and blackcurrants in fruit cage.

Try leeks again in different place, hope no rust!

Protect Autumn sown onions against slugs!

Get some proper farm manure in the autumn, and leave to overwinter, the farms often have bags outside, problem is lifting it!

May try overwintering broad beans, instead of planting in Feb.

Otherwise pretty much the same.
      DottyR

Comment

Get some companion plants/ pollinators in gh2 for the melon plants.

So after renewing the beds and shading the glass. I wondered why my melons are not fruiting, then realised the appex of the gh was not buzzing I will succeed

Comment

Well, I've made a start.....Finished the Tunnel yesterday......All Peaches, Nectarines & Apricots are in the Tunnel under-planted with about 50 pots of Strawberries....................That's one job less
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

I have made an executive decision and parsnips are definitely out next year. It's like pulling up baby occtopus!

Comment

We have a tractor now, so the first thing it so really plough up the ground, stone pick, add plenty of nutritional value to the earth and make some sturdier beds (it turns out tent pegs and twine aren't the best edging for beds).

I was too late planting everything this year, because of when we purchased the house, so my main thing is to get the timing better next year - and we should have a better water supply by then, which means no more lugging bottles of water around to irrigate everything.
              Because of the challenges, I'm not ready to write anything off, other than a couple of tomatoes that just aren't that tasty.

So, out will be
              Roma and Gardener's Delight tomatoes varieties, to be replaced with others. I'm also considering leaving strawberries out next year, because of how many you need for a decent crop. I'll see if mine last the winter without any care and reassess in the spring.

In:
              MORE tomatoes. Definitely Sun Belle and Black Cherry. The rest to be decided. But, more, more, more!
              Cucumbers and courgettes - both have been very weedy this year, and haven't had any fruit yet, but hoping for good things here.
              Sweet peppers - I have fruit forming on several varieties, so looking forward to seeing how they do.
              Santa Claus melons - again, very late, but they are covered in flowers, so fingers crossed for a crop.
              Chilli peppers - I have four varieties (ghost pepper, cheyenne, super chilli and topaz) which are all doing really well. Next year, I will add at least cayenne, Bulgarian carrot and padrón (loads of these), and probably more varieties besides.
              French beans - mine are still tiny, and nowhere near fruiting. Get them in earlier and hope for a good crop.
              Mange tout (Oregon Sugarpod) - same as the beans. I'll be lucky if they crop this year.
              Lettuce, rocket, spring onions.
              Mini sweetcorn (Minipop F1) - I don't think I have high enough density for any success this year, but we'll see what happens.
              Beetroot (Boltardy) - still waiting, we'll see.... I imagine a lack of water will take its toll here.
              I'd love to grow kale, so that will probably be added.

Herbs - my herb garden is more of a flower garden, sadly. Lots of things to go in here.

Fruits - none of my fruits have done anything this year, probably because of becoming distressed moving from Andorra to Spain. We'll see if they survive the winter and make an assessment after that. They include: goji berry, gooseberry, blueberry, loganberry, black raspberry and a 5-in-1 bush, all of unknown varieties.

I'm also going to be creating an orchard, if we get our water situation a bit better than it currently is, which will have a few varieties of peaches, limes, plums, avocado and cherry.

Comment

Have created the documents with my provisional chilli and tomato growing lists for 2017.

They may get edited a few times between now and then

Comment

I have more contemplated than plan.

No sure if I will bother with spuds so much next year. Maybe a few pots for them but that's it.

The new plot will be more for fruit, stuff the grandkids will enjoy. I am a big fan of growing cabbages and cauliflowers so have been contemplating which varieties.

Comment

An extra "plan"!
                    No tomatoes to be planted outdoors. Too risky with blight and they take up space that could be used for summat else.
                    If there are too many tomato seedlings/armpits to fit in the GH, give them away or compost them.

Comment

My initial plan will most likely go out of the window as I plan to revamp the plot so I may just have to wing it & see.

Comment

Out go the strawberrys next year. Just don't like them enough
                        Got two long, galvanised containers that housed onions and strawberrys this year.
                        Hubby made them before he retired, so going to put spring bulbs in them next month and follow with bedding plants next summer
                        Definately change of tomato variety required
                        Cut back on potatoes and get new Runner seeds
                        Still doing carrots,spring onions and salad crops
                        Nannys make memories

Comment

A few more decisions have been made about next years growing.
                          Out ( along with parsnips)
                          Cauliflower
                          Sweet peppers (apart from lamuyo)

Reducing
                          Less varieties of courgette
                          Less beetroot
                          Less varieties of tomato
                          Only 1 plant of each variety of chilli.

Grow something I've not tried growing before, don't know what that will be yet.

It looks like sprouts are off the out list. They are doing very well this year.

Comment

Originally posted by snowbunny View Post

Fruits - none of my fruits have done anything this year, probably because of becoming distressed moving from Andorra to Spain. We'll see if they survive the winter and make an assessment after that.
                            Snowbunny, please can you put your location in your profile. It always helps if we know where you are, when you post.

Comment

Definitely not growing as many potatoes...

Comment

Seed cats just ordered - hours of fun ahead as I spot something I might like then play hunt the bargain on the interweb to see if I can it it cheaper.

Shhhhhhhhh..................don't tell the seed companies else they won't send me anymore.
                                I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X