No announcement yet.

Your favourite youtube gardener

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to watch about a dozen youtubers, but nowadays have generally limited it to my favourites :

Allotment diary (Dan)
    The horticultural channel
    Baconsoda
    Dale Calder

I also still watch rickvanman, even though he's given up his allotment

Comment

I like clairesallotment and I've been watching the Alberta Urban Gardens "Testing Assumptions" series which I find interesting - taking things gardeners give as gospel and having lab analysis done to check them out (e.g. use of yellow gold, wood ash, comfrey, tea leaves, etc)

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I like sean from the hort channel and Clairesallotment some are very odd though....

Comment

Originally posted by Deano's "Diggin It" View Post
          Oh n forget to mention "Man Verses Slug" ........

Off to bed!

Night n Godbless All!
          That's not a real gardening channel, it's just a video diary and an explanation on things like Pop Bottle makes and how to use a soldering iron for lots of things. The guy hates being in front of the camera that's why you hardly ever see him. Plus he has a face for Radio
          Last edited by Cadalot; 15-06-2016, 06:49 AM.
          sigpic
          . .......Man Vs Slug
          Click Here for my Diary and Blog
          Nutters Club Member

Comment

I subscribe to about 40 but I certainly do not watch every one posted. Quite a few adopt the Methodist Minister's Sermon approach - first tell them what you are going to say, then tell them and finally tell them what you have said. I rarely have time to listen to videos of more than 20 minutes - the actual gardening gets in the way. There are some very good American channels, OneYardRevelution comes to mind particularly especially because he has clearly prepared his talk in advance. I can say that, like here and other forums, I have gained a great deal of new knowledge.

Comment

Well, I keep waiting for one of you lot to launch a bid for internet stardom. Aside from Deano's 'silent' videos and I seem to vaguely recall sparrow doing a plot tour a while ago, you all seem camera shy. Skeggijon was thinking about it as I recall but until then, my favourite is allotmentdiary Dan with an honorary mention for Sean on the horticultural channel. I'll also watch the odd video from learn how to garden.

Maybe Aberdeen plotter will use his media skills (he's been on the telly, you know) to get the ball rolling
              Posted on an iPad so apologies for any randomly auto-corrected gobbledegook

Comment

Originally posted by muddled View Post
                Who is that bloke who grows everything in flower buckets?

I like him!

I don't follow anyone on utoob. I used to enjoy watching permaculture vids but I think I've run out of good ones now. Some are a little bit preachy for my taste and a lot of the stuff they grow I simply don't like.

I often look for Harry Dodson videos....I could listen to that man all day!...but I don't watch many current videos, apart from Mr flowerbuckets.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPr...vem_IAuGgmIWlg

him?

Comment

Bless you for watching Spamvindaloo! I do quarterly short tours, but have had bronchitis for the last 3 weeks which interferes a bit with the talking...one is overdue now.

I like Allotment Dan. He's the only one that I look out for as he doesn't go all 'teachy' which I hate. I do dip in to others - Sean's Horticultural Channel is one. I don't mind wobbly filming as that's all I manage.
                  http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't watch much at this time of year but come winter, and the long dark evenings, I shall be looking out for some of these.

There's a lot of crud on YouTube but some fantastic things too. I taught myself to crochet by watching vids on there as written instructions were doing my head in and have picked up many tips on crafts and sewing and stuff. Gardening is something I haven't delved into on there yet.
                    LOVE growing food to eat in my little town back garden. Winter update: currently growing overwintering onions, carrots, lettuce, chard, salad leaves, kale, cabbage, radish, beetroot, garlic, broccoli raab, some herbs.

Comment

Yep, that's the fella

Just no nonsense, sound advice and a pleasant voice as well.
                      Some of the American accents I find jarring, some other accents I find hard to understand (my hearing is not as good as it was) but this bloke is just the ticket.
                      http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Deano's "Diggin It" View Post
                        Kev I follow loads!

Allotment Diary, Weaste Allotments, Muddy Bootz, Chris's Alotment, Arrons Allotment, Ulster Allotment Diary, Daves Allotment, Tony's Allotment, now UK Here we grow which is now huge & The Horticultural channel to name but a few, but Dan on "Allotment Diary" is my fave!

I've dipped a toe & posted a couple! Non Commentated I might add! ......

Keep threatening to delve further, but lack a little confidence, & time being a major factor!

Who Knows!
                        Yep, I follow some of those you mention Deano - I'll need to check out the others you cited.

Is the 'Muddy Boots' person the same one who posts on here ? - I really enjoys his vids.

Anyway, have you got a link to your own contributions on YouTube - I'm feeling poorly at the moment and in need of a good laugh.
                        .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Micheal Dolan - one yard revolution. Simple practical and with enough sprinkled science to make it sensible. He now has a decent back catalogue of practical fact based and researched information, presented in a way that is acceptable.

Herself particularly likes Lavender and Leeks which is charming but no real depth and too slow for me, she is fun to watch though in a lighthearted way.

I dip into all sorts because I'd rather you tube than Big Bother or Britains got ripped off. I'm currently absorbing info on the Korean Indigeonos micro organisms (IMOs) and the similar Japanese Bokashi composting, although thats labour untensive and I suspect better suited to people living in towns with close neighbours. IMOs will be tested though, I like the simplicity of that lactose bacillus, if nothing else it will stop the bins smelling.

I also watch some of the Russian smallholder/gardener types, thier inventive recycling of old machinery particulary appeals although without subtitles you have to get it all from the pictures. The soil on those plains looks lovely and loomey with few stones, no wonder they grow a lot of potatos.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                            I don't like them either but I think with me it's mainly as they're so time consuming. You do a search, cluck on what you think then have to watch shed loads of waffle before you find the few seconds that may answer your original search. Give me a properly written article every time, can quickly scan the bits I'm not interested in and focus on the relevant bit. Can print off and highlight the best bits fir future reference too
                            I can sort of understand the waffle bit - there can be an awful lot - however, you have that on TV also (I've no interest in watching a bit on some persons strange obsession with a particular plant and a 10 minute piece on their 3,000 collection on different species of orchids).

Again, the difference between a short youtube vid and print is that you get to see them getting 'down and dirty' and actually dealing with the subject in hand. It's also great to have a little nosey on how the manage their plot/back garden.

I can honestly say I've learned nothing from Gardeners World despite Monty Don being the demigod of gardening - but the guy who hosts Home Grown Veg has shown me how to successfully grow stuff in pots (carrots being the main thing atm).
                            .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM67 View Post
                              the guy who hosts Home Grown Veg has shown me how to successfully grow stuff in pots (carrots being the main thing atm).
                              Excuse me, Kelvin, what about http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1419009

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                                As always VC, you are the inspiration to how I conduct myself and live most of my life nowadays.

In fact my 7 year old boy was so happy to wear his makeshift bubblewrap hat to school this morning as it pelted it down walking there. I must say I was shocked at the reaction of his schoolmates - letter of complaint being composed as I type this post.

But there are also other ways you have helped me - with the recent break-in to the shed at the Allotment, I've now installed a baby gate which should hopefully deter future crims from their devious practices.

However, seriously - you're absolutely correct, my planting carrots in buckets was down to your original suggestion. Thanks VC I am really grateful.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X