Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cricket, love it or hate it or just don't understand it.....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you like the shorter game Martin?

Comment

Originally posted by SaraJH View Post
      I realise that she has a pointy stick but I'm a relative newbie and the roll eyes and subsequent comment are a bit 'off'
      You asked "Love it or hate it or don't understand it", can't I be indifferent?
      I like rugby!

Comment

Originally posted by SaraJH View Post
        Do you like the shorter game Martin?
        I sometimes watch it but it's not as exciting as the longer form.
        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          You asked "Love it or hate it or don't understand it", can't I be indifferent?
          I like rugby!
          League or Union?

Comment

Union but League's OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
              I sometimes watch it but it's not as exciting as the longer form.
              It's really interesting, this series aside, how many matches are so close even after 5 days.

I only asked because we have seen some cricket around the world and it's generally been disastrous lol.
              Last year it was hubby's 50th birthday on the day that England played Australia in the opening match of the Cricket World Cup. Disaster, and we left early.

We then made our way to New Zealand to watch the Kiwis absolutely annihilate us!

Comment

Cricket the most boring game known to man (or woman come to that) and I hate marmite as well
                sigpic
                . .......Man Vs Slug
                Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                Nutters Club Member

Comment

I am a cricket fan, like Martin I listen to TMS and always have a chuckle at the banter. I don't mind 20 over games and think it has added a lot to the way tests are played, it wasn't long ago when 200 was the average score for a day in a test match.

I have had the privilege to listen to some great commentators over the years, John Arlott, Brian Johnstone Christopher Martin Jenkins andTony Cozier, all sadly passed.
                  Last edited by Greenleaves; 31-05-2016, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Don't understand it Sarah...now ice hockey, ask me anything you like about that!
                    sigpic

Comment

I HATE it, even listening to the 'chat' from another room makes me grumpy!

And so I will never understand it!
                      DottyR

Comment

I'm having a nightmare writing this post. I keep being chucked off the site. Another go.

I find watching any sport incredibly boring. I have been a cross country runner, played in a ladies rugby team and was once coerced into playing cricket for charity, and, yes, I do know the rules. My 2 favourite forms of exercise are walking and swimming.

When I were a lass myself and my siblings were often sent to my grandparents for the summer. Grandpa was a farrier, ran a livery stable and riding school and also worked for the BBC. He was tasked with doing some research for the official North York Moors path in order that the Beeb could advertise it. He'd done the work but hadn't got round to sending it off despite frequent chivvying from them.

My nana hated anything to do with it and when someone came knocking one day to see my grandpa she told me to find somewhere to take him until grandpa returned from a riding lesson. I took him to the local cricket match, where the rules were patiently explained to me by this visitor.

It was the then chairman of the BBC which meant absolutely zilch to me at the time. I still hate cricket.
                        "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                        "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                        Oxfordshire

Comment

I suspect that it is a British/English thing in which it is a "game" not necessarily a "competition". So has close to no chance of becoming much in the US. As there way of thinking is directed towards a competition and a winner..

Seems a little strange that apparently it seems the most "stressful" thing is to decide which day to get tickts for, day 4 or day 5.

Much easier to "follow" if you consider it (as it is named) a Game of Cricket, not a Competition of Cricket.

Better say I have never had the urge to ever watch a game, on a pitch or on the TV. But I can see the appeal to some. There are likely worse, I can think of one sport, I used to do, that oddly gets more boring as the competition gets to the final stages.

Comment

Ooh what sport is that Kirk?

Comment

I am a no to all sports previously mentioned but.............

I really enjoy the Paralympics and Invictus Games....no particular sports but just the competition.
                              I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

I love cricket. I was surrounded by the game as a kid, since my dad was friends with half the Yorkshire players from the 50's/60's. I always used to be impressed when we'd be out and someone would say 'Hello George' and look up to see Brian Close or Ray Illingworth stopping for a chat with him.
                                One of my school friends played for Yorkshire, then Worcestershire and England - Richard Illingworth. He later became an umpire.
                                I remember going for long walks in the summer with my dad to go and watch Sunday cricket in the next village and, when I was older, going with him to Headingley to watch my first test match - England v The West Indies, in the days of Tony Greig and Clive Lloyd.
                                What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                                Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X