No announcement yet.

Gardens are... ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There seems to be a new category of 'lovie' - garden presenters.

Repetitive, boring and in many cases bland commentaries.

The thing that really bugs me is how 2 faced Chelsea is.

We all know that bee's are suffering and last year the problem was vaguely mentioned (don't know about this year as I stopped watching) but what kind of gardens win the golds?

Hard landscaping and green (give or take) that's what. Few expanses of bee friendly planting just daft spinning trees and other short lived, expensive novelties.
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
      I know you have the loos perhaps you could sign them and enter them

[ATTACH=CONFIG]64731[/ATTACH]

And to think I studied art
      So it's Less Toulouse Latrec, more Five Loos Jay-ell

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I think a garden has special and personal meanings to each one of us. James Wong can say what his garden means to him but not expect that his opinion would match anyone else's!

On the other hand, it has got us and probably a lot of other people thinking about what their garden means to them which must be good. For me my garden means absolutely everything, I love it. It is also a way for me to give something back to nature and to grow some food for my family as well

I just wanted to add (rather guiltily) that I enjoyed the Chelsea Flower Show, I even enjoyed looking at the garden with the spinning bushes! It appealed to me but certainly would not be everyone's cup of tea!
        Last edited by Verinda; 28-05-2016, 01:31 PM.
        The best things in life are not things.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
          I've been catching up on the BBC's Chelsea Flower Show coverage.

I just heard James Wong say the following:

"Gardens are just another form of art. Their whole function is to reflect, and comment on, the things that are going on in wider society."
          Perhaps what he meant to say was "Chelsea Show gardens are just another form of art"

which as far as I'm concerned is very much the case. They are specially constructed to be put up and removed again in a matter of days, and designed purely to appeal to the judges and sell particular products.
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

See this is what's so good about gardens - it IS something arty in that flowers and plants make the world a more beautiful place and the way you design your garden and plants will hopefully result in something that is beautiful and evocative. My garden isn't anything like that - it's very functional, chaotic and nowhere near arty, but to me, it's a place of contemplation, therapeutic pottering, hope and creativity. It doesn't always work out as well as I'd like and I always would love to do more... but without it I would go mad.
            I enjoy Chelsea show gardens, but none of them would be for me in practice.
            https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sounds exactly like something Monty Don would say whilst in his 'jewel garden'

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
                The presenters in general make Monty look calm and considered, which is no mean feat!
                I always think Monty is quite calm and considered, in fact they're exactly the words I'd use to describe him. He's not my favourite presenter but he's never falling into the trap of behaving like a kids' television presenter as seems to happen a lot.
                Last edited by Alison; 28-05-2016, 05:30 PM.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I suppose Monty can't help being Not Geoff Hamilton...
                  If only he'd stop using quite so many over-the-top adjectives I could warm to him a bit more.
                  My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                  Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

A place to retreat! From the "Hussle n Bussle" a place to reflect & gather your thoughts! A place that is yours to do with what at your will regardless as to wether it pleases anyone apart from yourself! A place that is nobody else's business but yours! A place you can either get engrossed & embedded in, or a place to sit n take deep breaths just watching the world go by!

A Garden is in all a place you want it to be!

And I truly love mine! Whatever state it may be in!
                    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

I won't comment on Mr Pong I like this place to much.

My garden provides me with hours of peace and calm in a sometimes chaotic world. I can sit and watch plants grow (Is that like watching paint dry?) and spend hours watching a spider construct a web. And after all that I get to eat lovely fresh produce.
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

My garden is my life line. I would be lost without it. OH says I never sit and enjoy the garden heis only partly right I so enjoy my garden but, gardening is not a spectator sport. The enjoyment comes from doing for me
                        Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

It's true that show gardens are meant to be thought provoking works of art, reflecting and challenging our perceptions , but they have nothing to do with real gardening.
                          Maybe James Wong only ever spends time in show gardens these days.
                          I'm afraid that no matter how hard I try, I just can't get on with Monty Don. I don't like his 'throw money at it', public school approach and his style just seems a bit twee to me. I suffer him on Gardeners World, while waiting for a no-nonsense, Geoff Hamilton type to come along.
                          Maybe Nigel could host the CFS next year - he'd make more sense.
                          What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                          Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                            Just watched the news as I've had breakfast. It's full of sad stories about people in terrible situations through none of their own making, a bit about terrorism and the resulting refugees undertaking dangerous journeys and then a load of people making stuff up about what might happen if we stay in Europe or leave. Looking out my window I see colour, life and a sense of calm. If I went outside I would smell the heady scent of herbs by the back door and hear the sounds of birds. The two things couldn't be further apart. I have seen gardens designed to reflect real situations or journeys but they've always been at garden shows. Never seen that in a personal garden and feel in general terms he's talking arty nonsense.

I feel much the same as this. I tend to see a garden as your personal paradise, far removed from wider society (unless you choose it not to be). It's one chance we may get to create the world the way we want it to be. That might be artistic, it might be pure practicality, or a combination of the two.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X