Gardens are... ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardens are... ?

I've been catching up on the BBC's Chelsea Flower Show coverage.

I just heard James Wong say the following:

"Gardens are just another form of art. Their whole function is to reflect, and comment on, the things that are going on in wider society."

Viewed in these terms, all my gardening so far has been an abject failure. Do any of you grapes aspire to these lofty ideals?
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Just a collection of words...like 'manager speak', phrases that sound profound but mean naff all.

A garden is different things to different people.

personally, mine is where I go to push the envelope and immerse myself in blue sky thinking because there is no I in team or us without you.
    So lets put a pin in this and come back to it later when we've assessed our competencies for moving forward...
    http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

One really needs a business management plan to keep the garden at the top of its game and of course dwarf trees so one can pick all the low hanging fruit first.
      sigpic
      . .......Man Vs Slug
      Click Here for my Diary and Blog
      Nutters Club Member

Comment

Crumbs, that's a bit grandiose of Mr. Wong. But to continue his analogy, some bits of my vegetable patch could be seen as the equivalent of a run-down inner city area, in other places there has definitely been a riot.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
          "Gardens are just another form of art. Their whole function is to reflect, and comment on, the things that are going on in wider society."
          Just watched the news as I've had breakfast. It's full of sad stories about people in terrible situations through none of their own making, a bit about terrorism and the resulting refugees undertaking dangerous journeys and then a load of people making stuff up about what might happen if we stay in Europe or leave. Looking out my window I see colour, life and a sense of calm. If I went outside I would smell the heady scent of herbs by the back door and hear the sounds of birds. The two things couldn't be further apart. I have seen gardens designed to reflect real situations or journeys but they've always been at garden shows. Never seen that in a personal garden and feel in general terms he's talking arty nonsense.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

If Tracey Ermin can call a messy bed art then my garden is as the greatest art form ever. As for the rest of what Wong said it is fine for Chelsea show gardens but the average garden I used to like Wong when he done grow your own drugs but he really isn't my cuppa tea these days

Comment

I've been catching up on the BBC's Chelsea Flower Show coverage.

Viewed in these terms, all my gardening so far has been an abject failure. Do any of you grapes aspire to these lofty ideals?
              Do you think James is talking a load of Jasper Pollocks

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
              ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Pretentious twaddle!
                My garden is a little bit of me, it reflects me and it comments on me. It has absolutely nothing to do with "wider society" and is none of their business. If making it "art" means spending a load of cash on artyfarty lumps of scrap metal and rocks ripped out of the earth, then Mr Wong is Mr Wrong.
                I used to like his earlier stuff on plants but now, his habit of inventing catchy new names for plants and selling them at inflated prices, means I cannot agree with him on anything!

Comment

Thank you VC, you've expressed my own thoughts perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    If making it "art" means spending a load of cash on artyfarty lumps of scrap metal and rocks ripped out of the earth...
                    I'm sure Snadger has some "art works" going cheap. Maybe we should enter his plot into the Turner Prize.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Put it in Chelsea Show and go for gold

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
                        I'm sure Snadger has some "art works" going cheap. Maybe we should enter his plot into the Turner Prize.
                        I know you have the loos perhaps you could sign them and enter them

And to think I studied art
                        Attached Files

Comment

I used to love the Chelsea flower show and would never miss it but its really gone down hill in the last few years.
                          Far too much talk and not enough showing.
                          Fancy words that mean little or nothing to your average gardener and plants that cost a fortune.
                          Like a lot of hobbies, Chelsea is for the rich.

And when your back stops aching,
                          And your hands begin to harden.
                          You will find yourself a partner,
                          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                            I used to love the Chelsea flower show and would never miss it but its really gone down hill in the last few years.
                            Far too much talk and not enough showing.
                            Going to the show this year after a gap of getting on for 20 years, I didn't think it had changed fundamentally. Obviously the trends in the show gardens are different and probably more expensive, but the stands in the pavilion are as brilliant as ever.

I've been really unimpressed with the BBC coverage, though. Mostly very superficial conversations done in a very breathless, underwear-moistening state of excitement. The presenters in general make Monty look calm and considered, which is no mean feat! Although I'll make an exception for the Ronnie O'Sullivan of gardening, Adam Frost. I like him, he looks slightly awkward in front of the camera but comes across as passionate and knowledgeable without overdoing the hyperbole.

Ooh, one last quote: "Design the green space first, then design the hospital around it. That's the way forward." Take a bow, Chris Beardshaw.

Comment

I agree that some of the coverage has been waaayyyyy too arty farty!

I do like Ronnie though, aka Adam Frost. I hope that he gets a presenting slot next year.
                              Last edited by SaraJH; 28-05-2016, 09:42 AM. Reason: Spelling....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X