No announcement yet.

Eating Out

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love to cook, and am getting better and better (even if I do say so myself, haha!) so it's often disappointing to eat out. I so often think it's just not good value for money. I love fish, but I find it's generally very overcooked when I eat out in the UK. Being in a Catalan/Spanish environment over here, we eat a lot of tapas; again, there are good and bad places to go to, but we know a couple of little gems.
    We don't eat out much, though, these days. We've been twice to El Celler de Can Roca in Girona, which is currently (and was when we visited) the best restaurant in the world. That's absolutely spectacular, and I'd rather save up to go there once, by forgoing five or six meals in standard restaurants.

When we come back to the UK, I do like to have pub grub; my favourites are things like calves liver and bacon, steak and kidney pie/pud, a proper ham, egg and chips etc.

Oh, and a good Indian can be a beautiful thing. We went to a place in Cheltenham a couple of years ago, which was out of this world; like no Indian meal you've ever had before. Proper fine dining.

Comment

We don't eat out much although there are quite a few nice restaurants locally. Would avoid like the plague any of those places that pile loads on your plate and go for quantity over quality as I'd much rather have good quality food, cooked beautifully. I find some places go for that poncey, over priced thing where they think they're better than you and I just don't understand that at all. Yes I want decent service but not them fawning all over me. I suppose so often I just think that I could cook I just as well for less money at home and I've probably got a fridge full of veggies that I'd rather be eating. Actually now I come to think of it, that's one thing that annoys me. So many restaurants see veggies as a tiny part of the meal and the plate ends up poorly balanced. Always scream at the TV on Masterchef about the lack of veggies and so many restaurants are the same. Mind you, did go out for our wedding anniversary a week or so ago and had a lovely crab ravioli which I'd not make myself so I do enjoy it on occasion.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by muddled View Post
        ahh, yes BB!

I was thinking of romantic evening meals but I agree you can't beat a good pie!

I have a few places I attend regularly for pie n mash with liquor (or likka as it should be spelt) with lots of black pepper and 'hot' vinegar....absolute bliss
        There's a pub in Essex that does a lovely steak & merlot pie & a pub a little bit north of here that does a steak & ale pie with a suet topping also get a small jug of extra pie gravy to dunk the suet in, Doh, so many pies & so little time

Mrs.BB, being a true cockerknee would agree about pie 'n mash 'n likka, although I'm not so much a likka person.
        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

If any of you pie lovers are ever anywhere near Michinhampton, you must go to the Weighbridge Inn and try one of their 2-in-1 pies. I've not been there in many years, but I still remember how absolutely gorgeous they were! I'm salivating at the thought!

Welcome to the Weighbridge Inn

Comment

Ohhhh, ^^^^ has potential only 85 miles each way (I once rode 205 miles each way to try fish & chips at a particular pub )

Comment

Grrrrrrrrrrrr, must stop reading & get on working, then I can justify my reward

Comment

Originally posted by snowbunny View Post
                If any of you pie lovers are ever anywhere near Michinhampton, you must go to the Weighbridge Inn and try one of their 2-in-1 pies. I've not been there in many years, but I still remember how absolutely gorgeous they were! I'm salivating at the thought!

Welcome to the Weighbridge Inn
                * drools uncontrollably ....
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
                  Ohhhh, ^^^^ has potential only 85 miles each way (I once rode 205 miles each way to try fish & chips at a particular pub )
                  I'm assuming your bike has an engine then
                  http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
                    Mrs.BB, being a true cockerknee would agree about pie 'n mash 'n likka, although I'm not so much a likka person.
                    What is wrong with people - gravy, gravy and more gravy every time with pie and mash!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

We're both vegetarian, the choice is extremely limited, it's usually pasta and veg in one form or another and so expensive we virtually never eat out, but oh well, we do go for a picnic sometimes!
                      The best things in life are not things.

Comment

I went to Pushkar in India a few years ago with my brother...... its totally pure veg! No alcohol, no meat, fish or eggs were available. Though my brother was offered a lager in a teapot the food was delicious!

Comment

We rarely go out to eat as I am always pretty disappointed, especially with the puddings, which are usually bought in rubbish.
                          We use the AA pub guide as there are some really excellent places in that. If I am really too tired to cook, which is not often, we have a take away from a really good kebab/ fish and chip shop.

I save up all my desires to eat out for out yearly break in Devon, where there are many really good eating places with excellent produce.

And every evening we eat at a pub which is the best place I have ever eaten. I sit eating and chuckling the food is so good. t is relaxed, bleached pine tables, plenty of space between the tables and the food is top end restaurant food at very reasonable prices. The owners obviously love what they do. And we love to eat what they do.

I think the owners are quite amazed that we eat there every night for the week we are on holiday. But when you fins it difficult to choose from the menu, well you just have to come back until you have worked through it don't ya.

The bread is made on the premises and they do their own smoking. It is the sort of food I like to cook for dinner parties, and like to eat.

Comment

I decided to eat out tonight but the bar and restaurant were full so i had to eat in the "family" room. Good for the hotel but not so good for me. I really don't interfere in other peoples lives but i found another families conversation very upsetting. I might be very, very wrong but I got the impression that at least the older child wasn't happy with why they were there. Do I interfere?
                            "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                            "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                            Oxfordshire

Comment

Originally posted by JanieB View Post
                              Do I interfere?
                              Nope! .

Comment

Originally posted by muddled View Post
                                I'm assuming your bike has an engine then
                                Ohh yes indeed & to cut down even more on physical excertion it has inertia clutch, constant velocity transmission & electric starter

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X