Do you ladies wear make up for work?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alison View Post
    Think that's one of the things I don't understand, why would a job make any difference? Not taking offence or anything, just genuinely don't understand why that makes a difference. Obviously some jobs require smarter clothes or a uniform but do people see make up as a smart thing? I've always seen it as a more fun thing so more likely to be relevant for social occaisions than say a professional environment. Re the comment about people wearing less, of the people I know / see it's mainly kids and the twenty somethings that seem to be dependent . Very few of my middle aged friends have ever been that interested.
    For me it's all about confidence. When I have my 'full face' on I do become extremely confident and I do believe that I am the best. It's a really odd phenomenon and one that I have only really thought about tonight.

If I don't wear makeup then I'm just 'getting on with things'

When I wear makeup I mean business.

This is what I'm paid for, to mean business, and to be a figurehead. Wearing makeup is just part of my armoury in doing that.

I have to say that as a home worker I LOVE striding around London, fully made up (sans lippy) and looking as confident as I can. I also wear a red coat and carry a red laptop bag. I want to be noticed.

I also have bright orange hair that is cut in a particular way that I know most people wouldn't have. It's part of me, and it makes me unique.

Donning the slap is absolutely part of my work down in London, and I blooming love it.

Oh, by the way, I never wear heels.

Comment

Originally posted by SaraJH View Post
      When I wear makeup I mean business.
      It's not called war paint for nowt...............
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        You mean it fills in the wrinkles
        A trowel, three of sand and one of cement does that!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

SaraJH - you scare me

Comment

Everyone is different. I have never used or needed a look for my job but my jobs or life were not about image. We work amongst image now but we don't portray it.
            My look is more relaxed , more a 'home girl , work girl that lives in the country, hands in soil, more tomboy and practical ' how I'm comfy .
            Northern England.

Comment

Originally posted by SaraJH View Post
              For me it's all about confidence. When I have my 'full face' on I do become extremely confident and I do believe that I am the best. It's a really odd phenomenon and one that I have only really thought about tonight.
              Interesting how things are different for us all, I'd fine putting the full face on for work would just give me another stress about was it done right / even / smudged etc that I can do without. I rub my eyes a lit when I'm thinking and that doesn't mix with makeup. Think maybe it also depends what sort of area you work in, thinking about it. I work in the construction industry and although I attend some quite high level meetings, I'd be most likely assumed to be some sort of ditsy airhead if I turned up in a load of makeup and the assumption made I was all appearance and no substance / brain. Mind you nothing would ever make me love having to work down in London, had to do that a few years ago and hated every second of it .

Don't do heels either but at just shy of 6' I don't really need to - will always value comfort more anyway.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                SaraJH - you scare me
                Why? I'm just a normal person, I've stumbled into a job that I'm in and I'm rubbish at growing fruit and veg!

Comment

Interesting how things are different for us all, I'd fine putting the full face on for work would just give me another stress about was it done right / even / smudged etc that I can do without. I rub my eyes a lit when I'm thinking and that doesn't mix with makeup. Think maybe it also depends what sort of area you work in, thinking about it. I work in the construction industry and although I attend some quite high level meetings, I'd be most likely assumed to be some sort of ditsy airhead if I turned up in a load of makeup and the assumption made I was all appearance and no substance / brain. Mind you nothing would ever make me love having to work down in London, had to do that a few years ago and hated every second of it .

Don't do heels either but at just shy of 6' I don't really need to - will always value comfort more anyway.
                  Absolutely, horses for courses, with everything in life we are all different and that's fabulous.

I'd love it if I didn't have to go to London but when I do I'm going to try to knock em dead.

Comment

Me too, I'd be nigh on 7ft in heels...................
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Friends of OHs have just moved from city (bang in city) who loved it 10yrs ago when we visited, we hated it as living the country life by then.
                      They have relocated and one partner..he just hates it down there now, the image , the pressure to dress a certain way, being judged ,becoming a person you are not .
                      Never thought I'd hear him say that , now lives in a boiler suit
                      Northern England.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                        Me too, I'd be nigh on 7ft in heels...................
                        I now have an image of a gorilla in denim shorts and heels twerking
                        Northern England.

Comment

I'm not tall , used to wear heels pre meeting oH, he walks too fast so heels lowered and became flats, now trainers or walking boots
                          Northern England.

Comment

I can never be bothered, it doesn't look good unless it's fresh and I don't want to keep checking in the mirror! I worked in London for years and was always the odd one out...i trooped into the office in my trainers while others hobbled in in their heels there's no way I'd do the tube in spikes...like Alison though I will ocassionally put a little on for a special do, wedding etc. on those occasions I get my eyebrows and lashes coloured, saves getting out the mascara.

Comment

Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
                              I now have an image of a gorilla in denim shorts and heels twerking
                              Denim shorts are ok but with feet like these, heels are a pain.............

Comment

I love wearing make up and just got back into it over the past few year. I had five year where I just couldnt be bothered and when I did have to put it on It was an effort, but before then and present I love putting it on. I mostly put it on to whiten my skin and I do love red lippy but cant wear the brash red I love for work so I tone it down and wear a berry colour.
                                Most of my jobs has been male orientated (Im usually the only lass) and I do get comments (as for some reason men assume we put make up on just for them) even now in my early 30s I get comments off the boss *rolls eyes, but I dont mind. Boys will be boys I suppose.

I do give my skin a rest though on the 2 days I get off I dont wear make up and make sure if I do have to go out its not where I would see people from work etc after all I dont need them seeing the little villager I really am
                                If you want to view paradise
                                Simply look around and view it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X