No announcement yet.

Wildlife - wot you got?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have newts and frogs in a small pond in the back garden. Birds of all descriptions, a visiting hedgehog that the dog likes to pick up and carry round, you'd think it would learn to avoid our garden but it still comes back for more. We regularly watch badgers in the front garden, have seen a fox and even had deer on a couple of occasions.

Comment

Same as f&v virgin - the pippistrelles are out. I can't call them bats as that gives me the creeps. They live in a partly hollow ash tree in the garden, as do the pesky squirrels, and tonight is the first I have seen them this year. They eat lots of flying insects, so that's good.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Starlings starting to nest (again) under the bonnet of the car. Drives us nuts. In one evening they can build a HUGE nest under the bonnet. We have to check under the bonnet every day.

OH's car has to go in for a service next week - I dread taking it in as they look at me with blank faces when they see the grass under the bonnet - they ask me where I have been ???
        ~
        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Jennie, what type of car do you have? How the heck do they get in??
          Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2003_0301holidayday0002.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	2317751

I'm not joking ! Have to get something like this from under the bonnet every day. And its only a Toyota Corrolla - they don't fancy my little Yaris so much. They get in from underneath. One evening we put the bonnet up, to watch them. Quite entertaining. They were a little put out at not having the safety of a roof, but it didn't stop them.

(Has just taken me ages to get a photo attached - but I think I have done it)
            Last edited by JennieAtkinson; 18-04-2006, 09:33 PM.
            ~
            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Pigletwillie, about your nest boxes, make sure they're in a secluded spot as nesting birds will want to be away from prying eyes and also somewhere quiet. My dad is a bird ringer and knows a lot about wildlife so hopefully I'll be able to provide some tips on this subject
              Act - Sing - Perform!
              Theatre Cats

Comment

I used to ring birds at Sandwich bay bird observatory and at Rutland Water and am still an avid birder.

I have boxes smothered in Jasmine, behind honeysuckle, encrusted by roses out in the open, facing north south east and west, fixed high and low, some with holes and some open fronted, believe me we have catered for all tastes but all we have had is a pair of great tits half heartedly examine one.

Comment

Teaching Grandma and eggs comes to mind, soz

I'll ask my dad if he used to ring there too.
                  Act - Sing - Perform!
                  Theatre Cats

Comment

How long have the boxes been up pigletwillie?

We have had similar failures, but ours haven't anywhere near the cover of yours....still there's been blue tits looking at one, taking nest material into two boxes, but one in particular.

The one the great tits were taking material into (sort of behind the oil tank) they appear to have left as I saw blue tits popping in and out this morning. I'm fairly sure Spot, the blackbird that nested in our clematis (before we had to move it ), has set up in next doors old shed. Him and the missus still come and take sultanas that we've been putting out for them since last summer (we felt guilty about cutting down their clematis!).

The only success we had was a pair of martin boxes that were fixed onto the sofia board in the eaves - but that was tremendous.....I'm looking out for them again, but no sign yet.

Oh and we do know its the same Blackie cos he's got a white spot on his chest!
                    Last edited by smallblueplanet; 19-04-2006, 07:42 AM.
                    To see a world in a grain of sand
                    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I work for the RSPB, it's a great job and I've really lucky! Hence the name, Birdie Wife is what the locals in Orkney called me when I was working there. I'm working on making the garden more wildlife friendly at the moment and I've put a sonic collar on the cat to try and stop her doing some birding of her own, the wrong sort of birding unfortunately. Around my house there are dippers, hen harriers, buzzards, golden plovers, greenshanks as well as the usual wee brown jobs. Otters you have to be careful of if you keep ducks, my neighbour had quite a few casualties down to the otters.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

wow birdie, that sounds like heaven! all I can add is a pair of woodpeckers (common green ones) this morning. nice to see them though.

Comment

Heard a woodpecker for the first time on the allotment. The guy in the next plot was banging some bits of wood together and the woodpecker was replying to him!!!
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

First red admiral butterfly in the garden today. I like this thread; it’s like living in a zoo
                            Jax

Comment

Peacock butterflies have appeared today. We never used to have them. First time I ever saw them was in France about 5 years ago. Arrived home and there was a peacock butterfly. Was sure it had come with us in suitcase. Have had them ever since. Last year they were flying about in gangs. 6 at a time. Sure I have a photo somewhere. Will try to find.

Comment

Hi Jen, thanks for that photo. Brilliant! I do know how much work it takes but is appreciated.How fascinating the birds would want to nest there. Have had birds nesting in mad places, especially blackbirds who even think the tops of the close props a good place. Will try to get some piccy's ( sure that's a random apostrophe but what the heck)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X