No announcement yet.

Reduce, Re-Use, Recycle

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of plastic plant labels does anyone have a way to remove the writing off them?
    [

Comment

fine emery paper or wet & dry. Failing that soak them in bleach for a a few days then attack with a scouring pad.

Cleans you hands as well
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Lesley Jay, I use an erazer on mine.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Hi Peter,

Yes it is, hence my warning about it being toxic. If you wear gloves and paint it on with a brush it's fine, only toxic if you drink, pour into eyes or rub it onto your skin everyday and leave over night to sink in. Our guys wear the latex surgeon gloves that PigletWillie was talking about but only because they are thinner and mean you can do fiddly tasks in them, washing up gloves will do. If you paint the wood with it and leave it to dry it soaks into the wood like any oil, very very good and much much cheaper than the 'environmentaly friendly' stuff that is packaged into throw away plastic or metal tins with printed paper labels and stacked on shelves in large 'Q&B' warehouses which have to be heated. I think that covers Reduce and Re-use but maybe not Recycle
          You can take the girl out of East Anglia but you can't take the East Anglian out of the girl. I can't afford the operation so my feet will always be webbed!

Comment

Hate to go back to the carpets but think common sense has to prevail. The fibres they are constructed from are cleaned in chemicals. They are dyed in chemical dyes. They are treated with chemicals to make them stain resistant. And once in peoples homes probably sprayed with chemicals to clean/ deodorise them. If people choose to have them in their homes I can understand that. We all use chemical products in one form or another. But would we really choose to eat food grown on ground we know to be "manured" with the chemicals from carpets. Surely the object of growing your own is to get away from that kind of chemical pollution.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I dont have any carpets in the house, regardless of the chemicals they are laden with billions of dust mites and all sorts of crap that you cant hoover out. At home its wooden floors or tiles, easy to clean, look good and not an allergy, breathing problem or other modern ailment in the family.

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley Jay
                Speaking of plastic plant labels does anyone have a way to remove the writing off them?
                If it is pencil just use a one of those sponge/scourer combination thingies and warm water.
                Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
                Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
                I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

If I remember correctly, Bob Flowerdew has now changed his mind re. carpets. Now considers them bad medicine due to noxious chemicals etc.
                  Amateur Gardener last year sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie
                    I dont have any carpets in the house, regardless of the chemicals they are laden with billions of dust mites and all sorts of crap that you cant hoover out. At home its wooden floors or tiles, easy to clean, look good and not an allergy, breathing problem or other modern ailment in the family.
                    Ditto Piglet. We do not have any carpets in the house and find that it discourages sneezing and encourages more frequent cleaning. Easier to broom-sweep a room than get the hoovy out.
                    Also invested in leather furniture for much the same reason. Dog fur does not stick to wooden floors or leather sofa!

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley Jay
                      I scrub mine with one of those small square sponge pan scrubbers & some fairy liquid LJ.
                      Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Originally posted by hils
                        If I remember correctly, Bob Flowerdew has now changed his mind re. carpets. Now considers them bad medicine due to noxious chemicals etc.
                        Amateur Gardener last year sometime.
                        I remember that as well hils, but then I think he changed his mind back again a few weeks later (probably after someone from the 'carpet marketing board' contacted him ) & decided that as the carpet he had was mostly made from pure wool & old & worn that it would still be O.K. for covering his compost heaps etc.
                        On the issue of wooden floors-does your dog like them? I suppose if they are real wood it is O.K. but my sister-in-law had laminate floors put in & their dog was terrified of them, she kept running into the room, skidding across the floor & running out again for weeks- left a nice selection of claw marks on the way!

Comment

We have real wood floors and yes the dogs did find it a tad difficult at first but have now developed a smart technique; something akin to rally drivers sliding around corners without actually turning the car. Probably the scratch marks gave them a little more grip.
                          Can be quite amusing if they need to get up speed 'moy pronto'. Much expenditure of energy but going nowhere fast.
                          It has however, put the local cats off poking their noses in our house, the noise of 8 legs and attendant claws scrabbling to get at them must be a total nightmare.

Comment

You're lucky then Hils, real wooden floors just look 'characterful' with a few scratches- laminate just look a mess!

Comment

dunno if anyone's posted this before but I thought it was nifty

The light of life. - YouTube
                              Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Wow. .......
                                the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X