Plant labels?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plant labels?

I've decided to try and make a few plant labels this coming year instead of just shoving sticks in to mark rows and then promptly forgetting what's in there.
    never had problems with most things, but I/we always lose track of what's in the brassica bed until they finally produce!
    so...I've been looking for ideas and thought perhaps we could all share what we find/catches our eye?
    some would make lovely last minute Xmas gifts too!

here's one site I found...
    http://themicrogardener.com/20-creat...abels-markers/
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Lumps of slate. Its all the kids had for notepads at school at one time!

I personally use stripped down little bamboo fences made with split bamboo (bought at poundland) I tried lollipop sticks but they rot off at ground level!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I really like these ones but they are a bit posh for me

4 Small Crooks | Lavender and Leeks

Comment

One of the simplest things to use as plant markers are the slats from redundant venetian blinds. The Narrow ones are better but the wider ones do work although are a bit clumsy in comparison. They can be written on but I prefer to scribe the plant name(s) on using a sharp point. My scribing tool is an old glasscutter, the type with the revolving head which could be turned to give a fresh mini cutting wheel. I have jammed in the hardened nail from a picture hook and this works dandy and it is so easy to write/scratch through the paint meaning that the plant names can't be erased . For the artistic gardener, these slats come in different colours . I go along to our local blind shop and normally manage to scrounge an old blind when I need one. Lastly, they can be cut to size and shape using an ordinary kitchen scissors.
        Last edited by Aberdeenplotter; 12-12-2015, 09:52 AM. Reason: realised venetian was spelled with a v not a b :)

Comment

Cheers Nicos, now I've got my drawing mojo back, I've simply got to have a go at the labels with Pazzaz....................I'll just draw on hardboard instead of paper........
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

could you laminate the paper to waterproof them???

Comment

I use those old "bone" handled table knives and write on the handle (when I remember)

Comment

Stolen estate agents boards are good if your eyesight isn't so good. "Carrots" in 12inch high letters is un-missable.
                photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

I'm boring - black plastic labels and a white chalk pen as that doesn't fade.
                  http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Just been out to mi shed & found a sheet of 5mm plywood, so meet Percy Parsnip.........................he just needs a coat of varnish & fasten to a stick. So you have an idea of size, he's 23cm - 9" tall

Attached Files
                    Last edited by Bigmallly; 12-12-2015, 01:13 PM.
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Awww. he's fantastic, BM

Comment

wow- well done you!
                        That was quick!!!!!

Comment

You know me Nic, once I get an idea I don't mess about.................

Comment

Ollie Onion.....................I was gonna call him Frank..........

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                              Ollie Onion.....................I was gonna call him Frank..........

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60936[/ATTACH]..........[ATTACH=CONFIG]60937[/ATTACH]
                              Big Mally, you really should market these. I am sure they would sell well.

And when your back stops aching,
                              And your hands begin to harden.
                              You will find yourself a partner,
                              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X