No announcement yet.

HFW's War on Waste

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes been on there and it mentions a Manchester hub which is great in theory but that just links to some spurious Twitter stuff which I don't understand as its all # this and @ that rather a simple list in English and makes no sense to my middle aged brain . Think I was expecting something a bit like the Freecycle emails I get so would be easier to keep track. The intent is great though and the format probably works well for some people.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      What have you joined? Is there something you have signed up for?
      No - just a post on their twitter feeds from someone who had a sack of spare quinces. I swapped for some blackberry jelly and stopped off at a friend's in Wycombe to share the joy on the way back. Am now about to have Quince Everything. Their perfume is incredible.
      http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
        No - just a post on their twitter feeds from someone who had a sack of spare quinces. I swapped for some blackberry jelly and stopped off at a friend's in Wycombe to share the joy on the way back. Am now about to have Quince Everything. Their perfume is incredible.
        Ah, that's why I couldn't find anything, misunderstood your original comment and thought I was being thick. That said I don't understand Twitter at all (think it's the limit on characters that makes it lacking in the explanation I need ) so maybe my comment still stands . Know what you mean about quinces, I've just been using some of the ones I picked off the tree at my lottie in an autumn chutney, absolutely lovely.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I like Twitter - it's fun and I don't follow anyone other than fruit & vegetable growers and a couple of comedians. I know what you mean though - it's a challenge to summarise within the character limit.
          http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Here's Hugh's appeal to the Supermarkets! We have signed!

https://wastenotuk.com
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jay22 View Post
              Here's Hugh's appeal to the Supermarkets! We have signed!

https://wastenotuk.com
              I just signed.

Comment

Me too. It's simply stupid so much good food being consigned to waste

Comment

I'm on board with this.

Comment

I've signed!

Comment

Me too.......
                      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

HFW is doing a good job with supporting our farmers. But I'd like to see more power go to the farmers. Part of the campaign is ""regularly publish their in-store and supply chain's food waste data, including collaborating to measure food waste on farms by 2018 to enable targeted reduction"" who will be responsible for this & will the figures be manipulated. We saw how one supermarket told the farmer to end it with hugh,not wanting this story to go any further. They only carried on as a cry for help as their family business was being forced to close with the way it was being treated & making zero profit,so it shows farmers feel too threatened by the supermarkets to speak up. An outside agency would have to visit farms for real figures,if there are any left by 2018. We need farmers more than supermarkets,I would happily never buy fruit & veg from a supermarket if I could buy direct from the farm & see the farms profits keep them in business. Is there another way around this? Like farmers only supplying to stall holders or something else?

Comment

I've signed up too..incredible waste... And these same supermarket chains are the very ones who squeeze every penny from their small suppliers and then waste their hard pressed efforts...
                          I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                          sigpic

Comment

I've been wondering are supermarkets driving farmers out of business to buy the land? There's an article from last year about Tesco hoarding land that could build 15,000 homes.

Revealed: Tesco hoarding land that could build 15,000 homes | Business | The Guardian

If the supermarkets buy the land & we have very few independent farms left or none? The supermarkets would import food from other countries,like they do now,build more houses & a tesco right next to them. Tesco has four stores in Braintree now,sainsburys,lidl & morrisons have only one,Asda was refused planning permission next to Freeport-we all wanted Asda,but an article a couple of years ago in the braintree & witham times said that the council said no to planning permission because they would prefer a store in the town centre (there's no space in town!) People here weren't happy about tesco opening a third & fourth shop,there was two lots of separate petitions started by small shop owners,worried about loss of trade,loads of people signed but both shops went ahead. There was a photo going round when tesco opened there fourth store,of the Braintree council offices with a big tesco sign on it. They both seem to work as a team.

Comment

We are not perfect or symmetrical either. We have blemishes, bruises and wonky bits too. Should we reconciled to the scrap heap too?
                              Just think happy thoughts

Comment

I have always thought wonky veg taste better
                                What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                                Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X