No announcement yet.

Forgetting words

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently it's really common in people who are really busy and juggling too many balls in the air and not getting enough sleep.

I've been through all the Alzheimer's tests, even seen the holes in my brain and this was still the diagnosis. I just have to make myself make a list and do one thing at a time. It's not forgetting words you have to really worry about it's if your vocabulary goes (which happened to me but it was due to the effects of a type of rheumatoid arthritis). If you want to watch a powerful but scary movie about alzheimer's - Still Alice.
    "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Agree with the sleep thing and also eating properly.
      If you are ever concerned then you can visit your GP and get them to give you a good poke with a sharp stick.

If you are under stress then your memory gets buggered up a bit I think.

Comment

My son who is 27 has, since he was a young child,forgotten words and uses the phrase 'whatduecallit' while he is thinking which drives me round the bend! I don't forget words but forget what I'm doing half the time...I once lost my oven gloves, turned the kitchen upside down but still couldn't find them. A couple of days later I went into the freezer and there they were, all neatly folded in the drawer! Think it happens to everyone, young and old, Moopmoop, I wouldn't worry!
        sigpic

Comment

I don't have any babies but I guess it all ties in with the lack of sleep and stress? I have a fairly stressful job and work a lot of hours, these issues don't occur at work it's when I'm away from work on down time that it happens. Maybe my brain is too tired to care what a tea towel is? So it's not just me, that's ok then. Thanks peeps
          Remember it's just a bad day, not a bad life 😁

Comment

I recently read a fact that said people who prefer twitter over facebook are more likely to suffer from insomnia. I wouldn't necessarily call mine insomnia but I do miss a full nights sleep once in a while just not able to nod off. Does this apply to any of you lot?

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
              I take a vitamin B12 supplement to help combat this very problem - my memory is shocking.
              Anaemia - very bad for memory, I get an injection every few weeks to sort that out, too!
              "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Originally posted by Moopmoop View Post
                I recently read a fact that said people who prefer twitter over facebook are more likely to suffer from insomnia. I wouldn't necessarily call mine insomnia but I do miss a full nights sleep once in a while just not able to nod off. Does this apply to any of you lot?
                Did they give any reason for the Twitter / Facebook thing? Can't see any logic with the preference but do see that if you get obsessed with either that it would affect sleep patterns as your mind doesn't get chance to relax. Personally I find constantly being contactable a bit of a curse and rather stressful (stress comes out in many ways) which is why I turn off the messaging function on my phone, turn off my work one after a certain time and at weekends and celebrate paces with no internet connection

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I don't think it was how much time was spent on either, more of a study of personalities and preferences. I don't use facebook at all and barely spend 10 minutes on twitter some days and only use it twice a week maximum. Studies showed the people who said they preferred twitter were more likely to suffer from sleep problems. Not sure how scientific the experiment was though.

Comment

Originally posted by Moopmoop View Post
                    I don't have any babies but I guess it all ties in with the lack of sleep and stress? I have a fairly stressful job and work a lot of hours, these issues don't occur at work it's when I'm away from work on down time that it happens. Maybe my brain is too tired to care what a tea towel is? So it's not just me, that's ok then. Thanks peeps
                    Do something to unwind more. Remove some of the stress if you can.

Too much stress for too long is very bad for you.

Comment

I do exercise and that's said to reduce stress, also gardening is good for helping me chill out.

I don't plan on doing this job forever and not every day is as stressful as the day before, it comes and goes like with most jobs I guess. I had a lot of stress in my last job, just in a different form.

There's not many ways I can remove some of the stress other than not working as many hours, which I have this week and next week. I'll see if I feel any better for it. I guess 50 hours is a lot in any job but when you're in a managers position and are on your own at work most of the day it's a lot more stressful than some other jobs I've had.
                      Last edited by Moopmoop; 25-04-2015, 10:24 AM.

Comment

I know this is somewhat off track from the original thread topic but I just wanted to relate a conversation I had with a friend the other day. We were discussing stress (work related) and agreed that there was a limited amount we could do about the situation (we both need our jobs, aren't trained for anything else and moving companies has only resulted in the same levels of stress at a different location) but we do have some control on how we react to that stress and learning additional coping methods will help with sleep levels, mood and overall health. I know this is much easier said than done but I'm determined to try and improve things. Am hoping this will be easier with friends doing the same thing - current plan is limiting TV and IT time (especially email), evening walks (to catch up, get fresh air and exercise), restarting Pilates, setting dates for seeing friends (nothing fancy, so far it's tea and cakes one Friday evening), leaving my phone in the shed at the lottie not in my pocket, reading more and prioritising time for hobbies rather than just feeling guilty about housework.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I am very forgetful at the best of times. Shopping is the worst as I have to have a list or I end up forgetting at least a couple of things, usually the most important.
                          I have a monthly planner that everything ends up going on, its the only way to keep on top of OH work, kids, kids clubs, bills to be paid and appointments.
                          I'm bad at names and places of names. Major disaster at directions and not getting lost. Really odd thing I found when we were on holiday in Great Yarmouth I could navigate my way around the place even though I'd never been there before.
                          sigpic

Comment

I honestly can say I don't do stress nowadays but I used to when younger.

Great long term memory but short term I have to write it down, if it don't get done it has to be transferred to the next page or it is lost forever.

If I get any more forgetful I'll end up with a bolt through my neck so I don't lose my head.
                            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

My short term memory is atrocious. If I read a book or watch a film, chances are that I'll have completely forgotten the plot within a few days. There's also been a few too many embarrassing shopping trips when I've forgotten my Pin number at the checkout, or forgotten where I've parked my car. I've even walked home from work several times, having forgotten that I'd driven to the office that day.

Am hoping it's all just a sign of tiredness rather than anything else, but it's reassuring to hear other people here have similar problems.

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
                                I'm saying nowt
                                Who are you?
                                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X