Well! How bizarre!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rary View Post
    You surly don`t expect people to read a notice especially if they are in a rush
    No, not really, but then I don't expect anyone to look for loo paper outside of the cubicle when they're in a rush either. I just wanted a wee, should I have been in urgent need for the other I would have been in dire straits. To be quite honest, I've never come across this situation before and I find it very bizarre, hence the heading.

The nearest I've been before was the first time I visited the pyramids and I had an upset stomach. There was no charge to use the toilet but a charge of the equivalent of 2 squid per sheet of paper. It would have cost me a fortune if I hadn't had my own supply with me. I had ignored the tourist reps instructions to leave my handbag on the coach. Ooh, I wonder if there was a reason for that.
    "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
    "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
    Oxfordshire

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      I've been to loos abroad where an old lady sits in the entrance (to the gents & ladies) and you give her a coin. In return she gives you 2 squares of paper. Heaven help you if you have an upset stomach. It would cost a fortune

We posted at the same time.
      "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
      Oxfordshire

Comment

IIRC they were all little squares, taken off a roll of shiny toilet paper, which she dispensed with great theatricality (much to my embarrassment)

Comment

Originally posted by JanieB View Post
          The nearest I've been before was the first time I visited the pyramids and I had an upset stomach. There was no charge to use the toilet but a charge of the equivalent of 2 squid per sheet of paper. It would have cost me a fortune if I hadn't had my own supply with me.
          They must be the original "rip off merchants"

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            they must be the original "rip off merchants" :d
            :d
            Last edited by JanieB; 14-03-2015, 10:40 PM.
            Oxfordshire

Comment

There's interesting, Ross on Wye has both Public toilets cleaned & maintained by the council AND Community toilets that are cleaned and maintained by participating businesses, anyone can use either.
              But I can't find any info on loo roll location for either
              He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

This thread made me chuckle...the images!!! :0D
                sigpic

Comment

In traditional central European conveniences you get your paper before you go into the cubicle, but it isn't self-service like that Ross-on-Wye one. The toilet attendant hands you your allotted amount, after you've paid the necessary few cents admission fee.

And for some strange reason the doors are labelled WC, although it doesn't seem to mean anything locally, and I doubt if anyone knows it stands for water closet in English.

Comment

You'll find some public french loos bizarre then!

On the way to the cubicals you have to walk past the men using the urinals ...yup- communal loos!

Don't get me started on public weeing...I could tell you a tale or two
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                      You'll find some public french loos bizarre then!

On the way to the cubicals you have to walk past the men using the urinals...yup- communal loos!

Don't get me started on public weeing...I could tell you a tale or two
                      They have gotten better then when I lived there then. Men just used to pee in the streets and not discreetly as for loos for woman - ranging from cubicles that are actually a shower curtain, those lovely shower trays and just the plain right dirty. Yep definitely do not miss peeing in France

Comment

Well this thread has certainly amused me. Was horrified by the lack of public loos in Rome - most of the men seem to use the underpasses that go beneath busy roads! Didn't venture down there - the 'scent' was enough. The Turkish and Greek solution seems to be the best, it provides employment too - albeit, I suspect, very badly paid. But if there are enough people wanting to 'spend a penny' well, it soon mounts up! VC, your comment about shiny paper brought memories of my school days rushing back. That really was an exercise in futility wasn't it? I used to take paper from home in .... these days if I don't have at least 1 spare tissue in a pocket or up a sleeve I feel half-dressed!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                          Don't get me started on public weeing...
                          Some residents of Ross have become truly European ...... ROSS TODAY | NEWS | Police appeal for information on public urination
                          He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Remember France too. When my daughter was little we were in Roscoff and took the kids to a little fairground. It was quiet and the man running the ride she was on thought he was being kind by letting her ride and ride it again. Upshot was by the time we got him to understand she wanted off she was bursting, ran to the nearest loo to find a hole in the ground...yip a hole! There was a minutes hesitation but given how desperate she was was she just went for it! The look on her face will be with me forever!
                            sigpic

Comment

There used to be a huge Victorian loo in Ilfracombe the toilet cubicles were huge and the brass plumbing was a thing to behold. I often wondered why the doors had a 12 inch gap under them until one day i was sat in one and from outside there came a loud shout of "Feet up" then a long wet soapy mop shot under the door and efficiently washed the floor!!!! It occurred to me that the deaf must have a messy old time of it.
                              As for the toilet paper being outside, and people not knowing how much they might need, i think you are meant to grab one and the lead the whole length to your cubicle like the Andrex puppy.
                              The trick when you are issued a piece of paper by an assistant is to fold it 3 times, this actually gives to 16 clean sides which can be accessed with careful refolding (though somewhat small).

Far better is to take your daily newspaper with you and have a good read, later tearing off pages with pictures of your most hated politician. This can be very satisfying.

A bus drive once told me they had particular problems being on route for several hours. He used to get out of the bus and pretend to change the bus number (when they used to have a handle that they wound) whilst peeing into the bus radiator.
                              Last edited by Bill HH; 16-03-2015, 09:11 AM.
                              photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

As for the cost cutting side of an external roll, it never ceases to amaze me that councils seem obsessed with cost cutting on trivial items yet waste thousand on completely useless ones. A friend of mine worked in a Warwickshire children's home and they were constantly refused money for more toilet rolls. In the end he went to the council offices to have the matter out with them. He noticed the offices had been refurbished with dozens of majestic palm trees, total cost £15000 !!!!!
                                photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X