No announcement yet.

Volunteering work

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could contact the council - see if there is a meals on wheels scheme or similar However you need to make sure your costs are covered.

Comment

I volunteer for Age UK in a local charity shop. Carrianne, I could not recommend it more. It has made such a change in my life. We get an awful lot of elderley customers, and we might be the only person they talk to. I now work at least three 4 hr shifts, sometimes 4. It's such a happy shop, because we are all so happy to be there. It's like work with no stress, constraints etc. No pay either lol
      Nannys make memories

Comment

Carrie, that sounds like an excellent idea, I used to work with young people, helping them move into education or employment, and any volunteering work was always regarded as very positive, and I used to help where possible. I currently 'volunteer' at a children's hospice, I started in the kitchen, but it hot a bit hot in the summer so moved to garden. You may have a ' Volunteer Bureau' in your area, a good place to start, or Age Concern? They run day centres for the elderly and will welcome any help, or there are the aresidential Homes I your area, they would value any help/ support, just talking to people is a lovely skill, or even Salvation Army or your local churches.

I would encourage you 100%, you will find it so rewarding! and the old people so appreciative. If I can help further let me know.
        DottyR

Comment

Nannysally is saying the same thing, we must have been typing at the same time!
          DottyR

Comment

Thank you guys.

That community gardening one looks alright. Still means I can grow veg

I am already on the nhs jobs site. There is nothing about volunteering on there. But I can look into it. I can ask next week when I have another interview at the hospital.
            Carrie

Comment

My adviser gave me a website to go on to find volunteering jobs. But there don't seem to be many on there for someone who don't drive :/

I will look into it further at other places and do some ringing around.
              Carrie

Comment

If you want to be outside or working with plants what you want is "WWOOF"; https://www.wwoof.org.uk/

Nothing to do with dogs; it's a system for volunteers who want to do work on farms, smallholdings, community gardens and urban plots. I shall be doing some placements in the summer.

There are loads of practical reasons but in terms of doing something for communities or the disadvantaged it is perfect; when I signed up last year to have a browse I saw plenty of listings by elderly or disabled people who want assistance.

They usually give you accomodation and food but you have to work out your own travel.

Comment

I've done work for the blood doner organisation here and made one very close friend. well worth it.

Comment

Carrianne, go on Age UK website, it's DEFINATELY not just charity shops. They have volunteers for all sorts of elderley care, helping people who have come out of hospital, just want a chat, support groups, all sorts
                    Nannys make memories

Comment

All i can add is,well done Carrie for wanting to work,especially with the elderly,we need more like yourself,obviously a dedicated young lady,hats of to you,hope the old saying comes true for you,the longer you wait,the better it will be,all the best me dear x
                      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by cariann88 View Post
                        Does anyone on here do it? And if so, is it worth it not getting paid?
                        I have done voluntary work for 20 years now, various things:

- "befriending" ( Get Involved | The Silver Line)
                        - dogwalking, dog fostering (The Cinnamon Trust - The National Charity for the elderly, the terminally ill and their pets - URGENT APPEALS! Volunteers we need your help.)
                        - litter picking, beach cleaning Clean seas and beaches | Marine Conservation Society)
                        - school gardening ( Master Gardeners*|* Become a Master Gardener
                        - cleaning up churchyards & gardens of elderly/disabled (http://www.tcv.org.uk/volunteering)
                        - hearing readers (Beanstalk - volunteer reading helpers to help children learn to read)
                        - local groups eg Find a local group | Friends of the Earth
                        - and 9 years as a qualified but unpaid Teaching Assistant in primary school (very very rewarding)

Even if those things didn't lead to a job, and were largely thankless, they got me out of bed in the morning, feeling I was being useful, and I treated it as a paid job, dressing right and always turning up even if I felt "off".

You don't even need to join a group: I have a permanent New Year Resolution to pick up litter every day, and sometimes dog poop too (nobody thanks me, indeed I seem a bit odd for doing it, but I know it makes a difference). And I'm a sucker for offering to walk dogs for neighbours.
                        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 19-03-2015, 08:50 AM.
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
                          If you are claiming any benefits whilst job seeking you need to ask them what sort of volunteering you're allowed to do
                          I think it's changed now, but you weren't allowed to do voluntary work if on JSA, because you weren't "available for interview", ridiculously.
                          I quickly learned to keep things to myself rather than seek permission from bureaucrats

Comment

On JSA you need to keep the hours down to below 16 or they say you are not available for work (despite the fact you could be volunteering out of work hours)

If you're going to be working directly with vulnerable then you will need to have a disclosure and barring application. This would be done by th organisation you'll be volunteering for.

https://do-it.org is a volunteer opportunity database that may have some different roles, failing that go down to your local volunteer centre Volunteer Centre Bolton | Bolton CVS or if you know of anywhere you would be interested in just pop in and ask.

Even if it isn't directly related to the jobs you're looking for volunteering gives you a reason to get up, contact with others, helps polish and maintain transferable skills, shows that your have the drive to do something, gives you an opportunity to talk about teamwork etc at interviews.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                            ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I've found the specific volunteer centres to be fairly useless: my local had shop work, nothing else. Be prepared to ask direct, and to search online

Comment

here had a long answers typed in and my darn tablets gone and lost it.grrr had a long answers typed in and my darn tablets gone and lost it. Twice.

CVS can be a bit hit and miss depending on the advisor. Some just look at the cards but some are great at linking a person to a specific organisation. Try to get the advisor to go through organisations rather than just vacancies (charity shop roles are always on the boards, others may not be advertised as often)

I've worked as a vocational advisor for a long time and have helped people into volunteering as swimming instructors, football coaches, horse grooms Tec - none of which were advertised but relied on finding the places which MIGHT have something available which suited the person.

The best volunteer jobs can be as tricky to find as paid jobs. Read the local papers local interest news stories may let you know of an organisation as can the what's on sections. Look in libraries and shops for posters and leaflets on services in your area. Ask the receptionist at your GP surgery as they may know of services working with the elderly. Rather than asking at charity shops, find out the address of their regional offices and contact them. I Got my man a role at Age UK as bereavement support just by calling them up. Ask friends and family if they have any relative getting support or services from organisations you could contact.

Walk around the streets looking at nameplates on doorways, then Google those names - I got three people jobs at a company supporting mental health just because I read their name on a door.

I'm sure my first answer was better. Darn tablet!!!!

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                                ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                                ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X