Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gardening TV programmes starting in January 2015.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I'm stuck in now due to the awful weather and the fact there's not much to do out there presently. I feel the need to watch anything at all about gardening and I've watche'd some rubbish! I feel like I need a gardening 'fix' till I can get back out there again! Every book I'm reading is about gardening, I've rearranged my seeds twice, organised my label tin.... I'm an addict - clearly! If I can't do it I'll watch it! Help!
    You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Well I watched episode 1. I thought part 1 was marginally more informative than last year, with some growing advice. I quite like seeing the different varieties. As for the flowers and cooking I don't think I shall bother again. My family watched with me and laughed through most of it, with comments like "this isn't gardening" and "this is awful", don't think they will join in again.

Comment

If you watch a second episode, you'll start cheering on your favourites and have to keep watching to find out if they win. Be warned!
        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

We'll have to see how things pan out. The last series, for all its faults, clocked up around 2.5 million viewers per programme.
          Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
          Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

I watched the Channel 4 programme with Jamie Oliver that was on just before the Allotment Challenge which highlighted "ugly fruit" and that tonnes of the stuff is wasted due to the whims of our major supermarkets.

Yet, on the main part of an allotment programme they focused on the potatoes being different sizes and some having superficial marks.

Anyway, I've whinged enough about it - it's not really for me - Friday nights are usually family time for us, it won't be on.
            .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
              If you watch a second episode, you'll start cheering on your favourites and have to keep watching to find out if they win. Be warned!
              Didn't happen last time and I gave it a few episodes that time to see if it improved. Won't be happening this time.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Didn't warm to anyone, just one whinging woman I wanted to vote off!

Comment

Originally posted by ancee View Post
                  I feel the need to watch anything at all about gardening and I've watche'd some rubbish!
                  Lots of good, interesting, instructive YouTube channels available if that would do you instead?

I think there was a thread somewhere ... might have been on a different forum though
                  K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I enjoy 'the allotment challenge ' as some light entertainment. Thought JoJo was hilarious laughing at the pompous judges comments .Glad there is a little more practical gardening but it will never be as good as Beechgrove.
                    The jams/chutneys are all very WI and the flower arranging. I think that has some appeal though as it's very similar to preparations for showing at village fetes.I can never match a decent set of 4 spuds!
                    Gardening forever, housework whenever!

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
                      January 6 at 7pm on BBC Two, the Great British Garden Revival is back, with a second 10-part series
                      January 6 at 8pm on ITV1, Britain’s Best Gardens a new three-part series with Alan Titchmarsh
                      Reminder! these are on TONIGHT
                      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Ooo Ooo!
                        Just watched Titchmarsh on Britains Best Gardens?
                        Did you see the sizeof that Cabbage - it was mahoosive.
                        I'm about to go hunting for my hyacinth vase so I can have a go at growing a pineapple - I can't grow radish but maybe, just maybe...
                        Last edited by Lumpy; 06-01-2015, 09:34 PM.
                        I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Saw the grinning loon who is otherwise known as Joe Swift and quickly turned off!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

BAG is trying to pretend to be a traditional county show competition but without getting it. If your unlucky enough to have lousy new potatoes and azaleas then your off, even though you may have cracking carrots, desirable finalists, perfect peas and magnificent melons. In a show I wouldn't put anything into floral or coking (although to be honest at the moment I wouldn't put anything in the veg or fruit sections either - except the misshapen veg novelty section)

As with any show competition it focuses on the standard veg. I'd like more unusual. types of veg - not just round yellow courgette (which is the competitors choice) but cardoons, skirret, rapunzel

Personally I'd prefer a medal table/ points table with points for first second and third. Maybe allow for a joker contestants can play on their strongest entry. I'd also want more plot centric challenges - e.g. best plot judges on layout, plant selection (maybe not as they are given a plant list to grow) weeds, companion planting. A challenge on making compost might be interesting. How about a challenge on pest control when the judges release masses of aphids, caterpillars and possibly a lion and judge how the contestants manage it (extra points for effective organic lion control).

Of course all this means that I'm not the target audience for the program.

Perhaps they should make an allotment challenge extreme - instead of a prepared plot inside a walled garden they get dumped on a north facing slope exposed to the elements and covered in brambles and bind weed with only an argos gardening tool set to clear it.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                            ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I watched last night's Great British Garden Revival. Despite my doubts about the presenters, I quite enjoyed it.

Rachel is fine when she's not reading from a script. I'm not really a fan of old roses, I think that some of the modern varieties are better garden plants. But she put up a good case for them.

Joe Swift was his usual slightly annoying self but I found the subject matter more interesting which makes up for it.

I'll watch again next week.
                              My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                              Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I caught the 2nd part of British Garden Revival last night which focused on soft fruit.

I'm wondering if anyone caught the name of the guava plant she mentioned -as I quite fancy it.

Thanks in advance.
                                .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X