This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post

(I'm running out of s ............panic)
    ...here have a few of mine...

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Panic not!!!!Never had puppies but have had kittens and bunnies. In my experience Mum will just get on with it.

Best of luck
      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

The Vet suggested taking her temperature too
        The only thermometer I have is an in-ear one that plays a tune when its ready.
        Tears are running down my face thinking about using that one

Comment

We will most certainly be wanting to see a piccie of THAT!!!!

Comment

It definately sounds like panic has already set in! I recomment a large glass of something - now!
            A thermometer that plays a time put where dogs normally have their temp taken is.......
            Ok good news on the Daddy front - the cav and jackapoo are both smaller dogs so at least Bessie has not been violated by a St Bernard and so her babies won't be jumbo mini bernards. thats good for her.
            If your stress levels reach crisis point may I suggest putting your fingers in your ears, turning aroung slowly on the spot singing 'the wheels on the bus go round and round. It does actually work as you realsie what a numpty you must look and laugh! (along with the rest of us)
            You and Bessy will be fine.
            I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Oh my goodness, I just caught up with this thread! What a shock, VC!

Thank goodness little Petal is still a puppy

Looking forward to seeing some pictures, VC - I bet Bessie will make a super mum!

Of course, it could be a phantom pregnancy...
              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Vet said they don't put on weight with a phantom pregnancy - and Bessie has become a little barrel! That was my first indication that something was going on!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                  Of course, it could be a phantom pregnancy...
                  Spoilsport - we're all getting into the Honorary Auntie mood here!

Comment

Oh! And yay! Hope it's not too many as if you are ANYTHING like me you'll want to keep all of them and end up with a menagerie! Our cat had her kittens at the back of the pantry which was piled high with boxes as we'd just moved house. First we knew was when she climbed out for her dinner looking suspiciously slim! We had to dismantle the box barricade to find four tiny, cleaned with their hair brushed kittens. An adorable day and a clever, capable mum who just got on with it like a natural. Ooh I can't wait! X
                    You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

So glad I came in for a cuppa and a catch up...sitting hearing roaring with laughter! Some of the comments are hysterical! I'm sure you all will be fine. Is this Jeanied's fault, didn't she take you to the kennel when she picked up Petal and you fell for little Bessie?! Ooooo!!! Aww can't wait to see what she has! Exciting times, although you may not agree right at this minute VC!
                      Last edited by Jay22; 19-11-2014, 03:12 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Good advice from Lumpy!

Personally I have never found the "temperature method" to be really reliable. After the first few litters I no longer bothered. Look for the puppies to be carried low - expect them to come about two days after that. Panting in intervals also means the bitch is preparing. Constant panting means birth has begun. Some bitches stop eating food but mine never read the instruction leaflet so sometimes had dinner sometimes an hour before the first puppy came
                        Which means, of course, that you'll see that dinner again at some point!

She'll ask to go out a lot. She may need to empty her bowels, or she may think she needs to when in fact she's in labour. Take a torch with you if it's dark and have her on leash, always!!! You need to know what she's doing. You need to notice the first discharge, too. Sometimes a first puppy has been born outside in the sand...

Some fluid discharge means the first puppy is getting ready, and it should appear within six hours or you need a vet. The discharge before the FIRST puppy must not be bloody or green, or you need a vet (after the first puppy there will be a lot of red and green and that's normal!!!)

No need to panic, try to look forward to a great experience! Puppies are the best
                        ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

Only VC, Only VC.

Last time I had to look after a dog in pup I was 22 years old. But my advice would be to find her some where quite, her own space, but where you can hear what's going on and keep an eye on her' loads of newspapers as others have said. If you can be there whilst she is giving birth so much the better, wear old clothes and do not wash them straight away. Then when you go to visit wear them again, you will get a much better reception both from the lady herself and her pups. Don't forget they will be blind for several days and they work purely by smell.

Most of all don't panic, enjoy the experience, but keep the vets number and your car keys handy just in case.
                          Last edited by Potstubsdustbins; 19-11-2014, 03:37 PM.
                          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Oh by the way both SWMBO and I are having a little giggle, hope you don't mind to much.
                            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Giggle to your heart's content Potty and SWMBO ..............I'm so shocked I don't know whether to laugh or cry

Comment

Just enjoy the whole experience VC...it's a very precious moment...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X