Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No movements? That's strange. I wish I could just drop by for a few minutes...

The pups (if there are any) sit on either side on her tummy, behind the rib cage. So you'd have to place your hands gently on her sides while she's standing rather than on her belly as she lies on her back. And then keep them there for a few minutes. It's not like they wriggle around in there all the time, it's just the occasional kick here or there. With my short-haired dogs, I could even SEE those kicks when the dam was lying on her side! Very exciting.

If it's only one or two pups, they may have so much room that you don't feel them. Not meaning to scare you but just one pup would be bad news, so please try again and see if you can get any signals from inner space
    ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

• Bessie is absolutely gorgeous! Brought a smile to my face this morning.
      sigpic

Comment

• Looks like she's cooling her tummy on the tiles.
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

• Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
          Looks like she's cooling her tummy on the tiles.
          Poke a handle in her back and she'd make a good floor mop ----------only joking, of course. No dogs were harmed in the making of this remark

Comment

• Nutter!

Our Vet will whelp a bitch for the customer, if they're not confident, VC. They had a customer's Lab giving birth in the next room once, when I went in with one of mine. I don't expect it's a free service, but you may prefer peace of mind and a vet bill, to going it alone. Just a thought.
            Last edited by Glutton4...; 22-11-2014, 12:54 PM.

Comment

• Problem is, I've no idea when it will be and no real idea of the signs (and I'm just a weeny bit squeamish, but don't let on) On top of that, I have a stinking cold and don't feel 100% Que sera, sera etc!

Bessie is in and out of various boxes, shredding paper and rumpling up sheets - she's been doing that for a few days now. Last night, she seemed restless so I waited up until 1am - nothing, Checked on her about 5, and she bounced around as usual I give up

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                Checked on her about 5, and she bounced around as usual

Try playing this to her VC, a bit of bouncing & wiggling might speed up the process

* runs away & hides from the pointy stick >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

• She's waiting for you to relax, then she will relax and go into labour. A chat with your favourite Vet may help.

Puppies are like babies, they come when they come.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                    And while I was checking up and posting on here, my two puppies have ripped up the local newspaper into hundreds of bits and have ripped into the new puppy bed and were busy pulling out the stuffing and chucking it everywhere!
                    I knew they were up to something!
                    They're both with child Jeanied........................classic sign, ask VC.............
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Waddya mean, BM? I'm not with child ..................

Oh, you mean Bessie

Comment

• Just checking, back later.
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Problem is, I've no idea when it will be and no real idea of the signs
                          ... I give up
                          You're doing great, VC - you are going through all the normal doggie midwife stages
                          It's when you've really given up that they get down to business

Forgive me if I repeat myself. The most important signs in a nutshell:

- CONSTANT PANTING is what you're waiting for. That is the surest sign that whelping has begun.
                          (They will pant off and on for an hour or two during the days and nights prior to whelping, with intervals getting shorter).

- then you need to watch out for a vaginal discharge of a yellowish liquid which may not be much in her case as she's small
                          (this means the first amniotic sac has opened and the first puppy is on its way)
                          (if the very first discharge is green or bloody take her to the vet's straight away. After the first pup it's normal)

- when the puppy is about to appear the dam will look at her rear end. She may yelp a bit with the first one as she doesn't yet know what's going on, and the first is the most difficult one.

- then she will sniff and lick and "unpack" it if it's still in its membrane and nibble through the umbilical cord
                          (if for whatever reason she can't or won't, you'll need to do this! Not by nibbling A fresh, dry towel helps to get the membrane off, for the chord use a sterile pair of scissors and some yarn).

- take each placenta away with a piece of kitchen roll as soon as it appears (she does NOT need to eat them) and put them in a closed bin so you can count them after all is over. Number of pups = number of placentas - if not, wait a couple of hours whether they appear, else ring your vet.

- no straining for more than two hours. Make a note of each pup's exact time of birth!
                          (she may rest for longer than 2h between puppies but not strain. Take her to the vet's or a clinic if she does no matter what the time of day)

I like that she's so active. I think she'll be fine.
                          ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

No news.........................bet you thought there was
                            Course not. Told you. Sunday, 3.05am.
                            http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1299507
                            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                            Endless wonder.

Comment

• I think Bessie is hanging on until Monday morning at 10am.
                              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Originally posted by nellie-m View Post
                                Can you feel the babies moving and kicking through her skin when you gently hold Bessie? Great motivation!
                                There's movement (or indigestion). At the mo, she's in the Right hand corner box, shredding paper and trying to dig through to Australia

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X