No announcement yet.

Monty Dons Big Dreams Small Spaces

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What i didn't like about last night episode was the amount of soil gypsy road gardener had piled up against the wooden fences either side. Even after he'd finished you couldn't see the gravel boards.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Where are the new Geoff Hamiltons and Geoffrey Smiths? They knew how to build a garden with nothing more than a couple of bits of reclaimed wood and and some bits they've nicked from a nearby skip
      Last edited by skeggijon; 22-10-2014, 02:06 PM. Reason: correcting appalling spelling
      What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
      Pumpkin pi.

Comment

They're all on the Vine, sharing their ideas with us

Comment

I'm annoyed that Monty keeps being described as an expert - he's not. He's a failed businessman, who started writing to make a living - and just happened to get work on a gardening theme.
          Pumpkin pi.

Comment

I think you're all being a bit hard on Monty. Yes he's not a formally trained horticulturalist, but I believe his enthusiasm is genuine.

I just wish he would cut out all the superlatives, which irritate me no end. He's got all the GW presenters doing it, too.

Also he seems to be in the Titchmarsh school of throwing money at the garden rather than the Hamilton school of improvisation with reclaimed materials and a cheap bag of nails.

But his genuine enthusiasm overcomes a lot of these minor niggles, for me.

Also, compared to the small gardeners, he is most definitely an expert.
            My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
            Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I'm not denying he has developed a good level of knowledge over the years, but to describe him as britains top gardening expert, as done on this programme, is quite simply laughable and a slur on the many true experts who dedicate their lives to growing, whilst MD is just an amateur.
              Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Originally posted by skeggijon View Post
                I'm not denying he has developed a good level of knowledge over the years, but to describe him as britains top gardening expert, as done on this programme, is quite simply laughable and a slur on the many true experts who dedicate their lives to growing, whilst MD is just an amateur.
                But he does have a very lovely dog, Nigel

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Just caught up with this on iplayer! And rather enjoyable I found it!

Agree with Martin! Although I personally find "Monty" a little "Pompus" n thinks money grows on trees! Hay! He may have one n not divulged it yet!
                  But his knowledge (Although self taught) and enthusiasm in abundance more than compansates in my view!

Oh! n "Five Grand"

If someone handed me that sort of wedge to create a garden! It would be like "Kew"
                  Last edited by Deano's "Diggin It"; 22-10-2014, 05:42 PM. Reason: Spelling Mistake!
                  "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Well I love gardening programmes and am always looking for ideas. But I always look and think " I can do that with a bit of spare wood and some old nails and half a tin of paint". Very inspirational when you have all the enthusiasm and no money!! Oh can't we have a competition 'win £5000 to spend on your garden' ooh it' s the stuff of dreams.... Can you even begin to think what you'd buy if you had that sort of cash? No way would £600 of it be going on one plant though as that would be the plant the dogs would chew! £600 quid???? Good grief!
                    You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Instead of the raised beds I would definitely go for a slung hammock. And a gold plated dibbler

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by ancee View Post
                        ! Oh can't we have a competition 'win £5000 to spend on your garden' ooh it' s the stuff of dreams.... Can you even begin to think what you'd buy if you had that sort of cash? No way would £600 of it be going on one plant though as that would be the plant the dogs would chew! £600 quid???? Good grief!
                        OK, Go on...............how would you spend £5000 on your garden?
                        Please note, this is not a real competition and I'm not going to give you £5000...............Other fairy godmothers are available

Comment

Hmm. I accept the challenge.

My first though was that my little garden is far too small to need more than a few hundred spent on it.

But my second thoughts were:
                          - ground-level lighting along all paths and uplighters below key trees and shrubs, all controlled from a console by the back door;
                          - a fully automatic programmable greenhouse watering system for the greenhouse, that takes water from the butts in first instance and then from the mains if the butts are empty.

I reckon I could easily spend £5k getting that lot up and running.
                          My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                          Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I'm sure that if I had 5k sitting in a bank account soley for gardening stuff it would evaporate, but apart from a greenhouse and a couple of decent tools, I can't say where it would go.

Of course the geek in me is saying "oscilloscope, bench power supply, solar panels, sbc's, adc's, solenoid valves, flow meters, soldering iron, sensors, switches, and a bucket load of other components" - or I could just buy a ready made watering computer but where's the fun in that?

Or one of those rotating trommel thingies so I could riddle my beds easier.

Some of it may be spent hiring a van and driver for a weekend and touring all the skips in the NE to scavenge useful stuff.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                            ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I love Monty! And won't hear a word said against him, so there! I think he is something of a reluctant TV presenter and was brave to come clean about his depression - I believe it helps de-stigmatize other sufferers when a well known person comes forward.

Just caught up with the episode about the beach garden and the Welsh garden that was on last night. The Welsh garden looked nice but I thought the beach garden looked awful. I've got 2 small gravelled areas, around my fruit trees at lottie and in the back garden, and with all those tiddly plants their gravel looked like mine does when it needs a good weeding.
                              My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

Finally a small garden with a small budget and a challenge to work with. It did hurt watching all that slate and stone being used to fill a potentially usable space. Oh well!

I don't mind Monty although not my fav. Considering he was going to stop a few years ago due to poor health and even now he is not scared to get stuck in and as people say he is passionate about gardening. The bloke deserves some credit. Plus we wouldn't have Nigel the potato/apple eating dog.

Who else would do GW with out Monty? I don't think I would watch it at all if it was Joe Swift or Chris (is it Beardshaw I always want to say Packham for some reason) mind you I probably would watch it if it was Packham

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X