Monty Dons Big Dreams Small Spaces

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VolesAteMyPeas View Post
    My main thought about the small holding garden was that there was so much space wasted. All that empty gravelled ground and a lawn yet only five or so piddling little raised beds.
    I'm not even sure why they had to create raised beds in the first place.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

When the first couple said they had a budget of 5k I thought "I wish -£5000 at 24p a seed packet"

When Monty said you could double that and not be extravagant I nearly choked

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
        When the first couple said they had a budget of 5k I thought "I wish -£5000 at 24p a seed packet"

When Monty said you could double that and not be extravagant I nearly choked
        Yea, that's when I turned it off... If they had 5 grand to spare they should have spent it on the house first. I bet most of us on here could have (and would love to have) done that garden job for far far less.
        Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

I love gardening programmes, but really struggle with Monty Don
          What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
          Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
            Bummocks! Missed it.

However, I would probably be biased - Monty could read the telephone directory, and I'd sit and listen...
            You should be able to catch up with BBC iplayer

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
            I'm not even sure why they had to create raised beds in the first place.
            Didn't you know, according to the laws of TV, it's illegal to grow veg in any other way

Originally posted by arpoet View Post
            Yea, that's when I turned it off... If they had 5 grand to spare they should have spent it on the house first. I bet most of us on here could have (and would love to have) done that garden job for far far less.
            Ok, they bought a new greenhouse and built five beds - but where did they spend the money? The bricks for the path were recycled from the house, the fruit trees were already there and that hedge wouldn't cost much. The tree surgeon must have been laughing all the way to the bank.

But if you did have five grand just to spend in the allotment, what would you spend it on?

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
            ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

But if you did have five grand just to spend in the allotment, what would you spend it on?
              After having my brain removed - as much as possible in the Harrods Horticulture catalogue - its soooo pretty, oh and another 5k to pay someone to keep it looking pretty

Comment

one point i picked out. people on this forum say compost heaps should be covered to keep heat in. he said the opposite . its only to keep weather out. food for thought. cheers.

Comment

Ok, they bought a new greenhouse and built five beds - but where did they spend the money?
                  That greenhouse was the opposite of cheap. And those raised beds were the luxury type, properly engineered and fitted together with coach bolts. Gardening can be pretty expensive if you want it to be.
                  My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                  Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

You should be able to catch up with BBC iplayer

Didn't you know, according to the laws of TV, it's illegal to grow veg in any other way

Ok, they bought a new greenhouse and built five beds - but where did they spend the money? The bricks for the path were recycled from the house, the fruit trees were already there and that hedge wouldn't cost much. The tree surgeon must have been laughing all the way to the bank.

An electric fence ?
                    Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

I am sorry but when it comes to Monty Don I would rather watch and listen to paint drying

Comment

I totally agree with people on the budget thing, it looked nice but not £5000 nice and also that they didn't end up with a huge amount of growing space given that having a small holding was the objective, they could have fitted a lot more raised beds in.

The chickens didn't seem to have much room either but I don't keep chickens so maybe the ones at my sisters house are just spoiled and that's about the right amount of space.

I personally fast forwarded through the Portuguese garden as its not my kind of thing. As I said before I'll watch again next week though.

Comment

Next week? You've missed the second episode already. It's on every day this week - you'll need to catch up on iplayer

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Ah ok I'll iplayer it, I assumed it was on once a week, thanks for the heads up

Comment

Watched the second episode. The sight of all those turf sods being skipped nigh on broke my heart, especially when she said she had to buy a load of top soil, as the turf would have made great loam.

The gypsy road garden came out lovely. I do think, however, it was missing a couple of remote control boats and possibly a submarine.

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Recorded it - zoomed through it this morning at daft o'clock. Won't bother again. Unfortunately me and the BBC don't seem to share the same budget, I freecycle, improvise and ammend whilst they us my paid in TV fee to create another 'jewel garden'
                                Cooking on the BBC is the same - no basic affordables just .....
                                Sue
                                I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X