No announcement yet.

Giveaways!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh heck you really can't use the M word either, as it upsets individuals who work with children with special needs as it has been misused in the past. Call in the censor!
    Best wishes
    Andrewo
    Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Andrew there is a difference between people who have Downs Syndrome and those who are of Eastern, Oriental and Polynesian extraction. I think we have to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water here.
      Jax

Comment

Know what you mean but thought I should raise the subject, there are terms used that are accepted by anthropologists or cultural groups that can offend a myriad of user groups, ethnic groups and social categories. However, it is impossible to please all of the people all of the time. Though I accept PC, I do feel in the last ten years that it has got out of hand and has to some extent become the tool of government and bureaucracy, the word often censored is misunderstood, and the linguistical roots of it are forgotten in favour of PC madness and the desire to not offend, unfortunately, this good will offends many who believe in the democracy and nationalism. I advocate neither of these, I am a Marxist, and therefore believe all objectivity is fruitless as we are a subjective species. I also relish with glee how PC has now passed over to visual mediums, the union jack, the red rose, now have connotations that are destroying the original use. I do not see colour, I do not see class division, racism, genetic favouritism and puritism as a way forward for the species, I see only apes playing at humanity. We have yet to become human but the PC argument is jolly good fun. Anyone for politics and then Politics.

Anyone for gardening...
        Last edited by Lesley Jay; 06-04-2006, 08:50 PM.
        Best wishes
        Andrewo
        Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Well that's a conversation stopper!

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Back to the givaways I know Jennie won some a month or so ago as she mentioned it in another thread. I will mention the idea of a code to the PTB. I would love to see more people who buy the magazine here on the Vine. The gifts being sent to the "Member of the Month" is a wonderful idea that started two months ago. So far Andrewo and Nick the Grief have won. All you have to do, to become "Member of the Month" is post something of interest or help to others. You don't have to tick any boxes and those people who log on to the website that lists all prizes being given away by magazines have no chance of winning either.
            Jax

Comment

Unless the code was different in each magazine then it would be a waste of time. These sites list any code/ question answers etc that are needed to enter. Like I say, the only way you could make sure it was actual readers winning would be to have a cut out section from the magazine.

Not much chance of me winning member of the month then, I don't know anything helpful at the moment, apart from competition web sites

If you want to have a look at one of these sites www.loquax.co.uk is a very good one. (sorry if we are not allowed to post websites).

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxom
                ... I think we have to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water here.
                Struth were gitting to Child abuse now

Sorry Jax, couldn't resist that one. I work witha lot of "different" people from all sorts of backgrounds & the majority are as much agains PC as the rest of us. Unfortunatly there are a minority on both side of the argument who tkae thing to seriously.

We tke the mickey out of one lad (Arshad) because he's the only one who can't eat hot curries he usually has "foreign food" as he calls it = Fish & chips, but it is all done in the best of taste & he plays along with us. I give him Chilli's to take home, his wife send me homemade samosa's that he can't eat ant there is much merriment.

I wouldn't have thought that any upset was meant and after all we are only here to enjoy the garden whatever the grower to paraphrase Mr Titchmarsh
                ntg
                Never be afraid to try something new.
                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                ==================================================

Comment

I was beginning to get worried about you lot ............ anyone else won any giveaways ?
                  Last edited by JennieAtkinson; 06-04-2006, 07:33 PM.
                  ~
                  Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                  ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X