Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you wear a hat +/- sun cream when out gardening?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No hat or sunscreen but lots of trees - and freckles
    I am that wizened old gardener

Comment

Most of my gardening is done in the morning or late afternoon. If it's particularly sunny I find a shady spot. I don't wear a hat but I keep myself covered up and always wear sun cream.

Comment

My 4 year old daughter often gardens with my and I always make sure she is lathered in suncream and try to keep a hat on her (although the hat is a challenge!) but oddly enough until reading this thread it never occurred to me to protect myself, even though I do if we're going out for the day 😐

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Sun cream only if it's really hot. I don't do hats.
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I never wear a hat or sunscreen although I should with both as my hair is black and I end up with the worst headaches on a night which is prob the sun pounding down on my head all day.

Ive only ever wore one type of cream and thats palmers coco butter but I think I will start wearing a block this year as I dont like to be tanned I like to be very pale
            Last edited by 4390evans; 19-04-2014, 08:52 PM. Reason: spelling
            If you want to view paradise
            Simply look around and view it.

Comment

Originally posted by PyreneesPlot View Post
              Always a hat and always sunscreen on my face and more delicate bits if they are on show.
              Not wishing to be arrested, I keep my delicate bits well covered.
              photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Wide-brimmed hat and sunblock for me too. I keep both in the shed so that I don't forget to bring them with me.I also keep bottles of water in the shed and make sure I drink them regularly. Now just to find some nice long-sleeved t-shirts and I am all set.
                http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

No hat no cream, all the years I was farming I didnt either, shirt off as soon as possible. All day on a tractor turning hay ect. I seem to have a permanent tan nowadays so rarely get even slightly burnt. I am determined to pop my socks before the care home gets me.
                  photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

My day to day moisturiser for summer has an SPF25 in it which is fine for bits and pieces and I have a loose blouse that's great for keeping my arms and lower back covered when sunny (have suffered with a burnt back before when bending over and a gap forming above my jeans, VERY painful the next day and looks ridiculous!). Don't want to slather chemicals on my skin where poss but will use a more natural sun tan lotion (when did it become sun screen?) if it's really sunny and I'm on the plot for the day. Don't really like hats as they make my head hot but will on the exceptional days but will often put a scarf round my head to hold my hair back anyway which probably adds protection and definitely am a sunglasses fan. Suppose I find it quicker and easier to wear clothes that cover me up (and provide nettle protection ) than spend ages slapping on the cream. Also always take plenty of water to make sure I'm hydrated - and avoid the tunnel in the middle of the day. Fingers crossed well get some days like that this sumner, something to look forward to.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                      No hat no cream, all the years I was farming I didnt either, shirt off as soon as possible. All day on a tractor turning hay ect. I seem to have a permanent tan nowadays so rarely get even slightly burnt. I am determined to pop my socks before the care home gets me.
                      Similafr for me Bill. Worked outside most of my life, and still do. Have a permanent white area on my wrist where my watch goes!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                        Not wishing to be arrested, I keep my delicate bits well covered.
                        Backs of knees ... I live life on the edge
                        Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Just a word of warning - have a 25cm scar on my leg for the removal of a nasty melanoma which I had stupidly ignored for a couple of years. Now, it's hat and chemicals. Sun cream is MUCH more preferable than skin cancer.

Comment

I guess sun tan lotion became sunscreen when it was understood that tanned skin is damaged skin?
                            Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                              Similafr for me Bill. Worked outside most of my life, and still do. Have a permanent white area on my wrist where my watch goes!
                              It makes you wonder how the human race survived before factor 8 was invented! There is a bit too much interest in prolonging human life, the world is vastly over populated and yet we are obsessed with saving every single one until they become Ga Ga. Dont smoke, dont drink, dont eat fat, dont go out in the wonderful sunshine, yada yada yada. What the world actualy needs is more deaths and less births then there would be enough resources for everyone.
                              Last edited by Bill HH; 20-04-2014, 08:03 AM.

Comment

I love the sunshine but don't like it to touch me so I use sun block and wear a hat then when I sit out and read its always under the brolly. My favourite gardening hat is red with flowers on and its much more prettier that my usual plant pot
                                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X