Garden waste

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
    2 which are only used for hedge cuttings (of which I have a lot) & blighted tomato/potato greenery.
    The blighted foliage can go on your compost heap.
    The hedge cuttings can be chopped smallish & left under or behind shrubs as a mulch, making perfect habitats for beneficial insects. It really doesn't need to look "untidy".

You can also put small amounts in the compost heap where the twigs will create little beneficial air pockets

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
    garden waste is garden goodness!
    Absolutely. I can't understand why people throw this stuff away, then go the garden centre to buy the same stuff (goodness) in packets
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

We had two of these green bins when we moved in. So they are now on top of breeze blocks with a hose connecting one to the other and two holes were drilled in the front and plastic taps put into them. They drain the water off the the large shed roof and are brilliant water butts! We made sure we could get the watering cans underneath the taps before we drilled the holes though!
      You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

In North Zummerzet, we have green bags. At present, you can put out as many as you like and they will be collected once a fortnight, for free.

The only thing I used to put in them was the chook bedding. Yes, I know, stop gasping in amazement......but there was too much of it for me to use and neighbours just look at me blankly when I offer it to them.

Since last September we've been trying the deep layer bedding thing. We put down a huge layer of wood shavings and just kept layering fresh shavings over the soiled every week. The DD came over just a few weeks ago, and we dug it all out. I was expecting thick compacted yuckiness and revolting smells. What we actually dug out was almost compost - rich, dark brown, warm, dry velvetty compost. Just the topmost layers were still shavings.

I didn't have anywhere to put it on the garden, and I haven't the room to store sacks, so we emptied the barrowloads into the chook garden. They loved it!! Happier chooks you couldn't have seen. Next time we empty it out will be early Spring and that lot will go on the garden beds (sorry chooks!) as we decided it needed a bit longer to cogitate.

So, my green bags will be obsolete.....
        Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X