Garden waste

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garden waste

Just read the my council are proposing to cancel collecting garden waste to save money. I believe they have done this in Harrogate and York does anyone have experience of this? Apparently we are supposed to put any garden waste in our ordinary bin and it will be sorted out at the recycling centre.

Do you generate much garden waste? I don't - most is composted..

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

They stopped ours last year, but I hardly ever used it.... All soft garden and kitchen waste goes in the compost bins. Twiggy stuff goes onto a pile for bugs and wildlife.
      Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

We can have up to 3 green wheelie bins (subject to prior council inspection),I have 2 which are only used for hedge cuttings (of which I have a lot) & blighted tomato/potato greenery.
        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by arpoet View Post
          They stopped ours last year, but I hardly ever used it.... All soft garden and kitchen waste goes in the compost bins. Twiggy stuff goes onto a pile for bugs and wildlife.
          We still have a green bin not sure for how long because they're being charged for them in the nearest town, but I do like Arpoet so mine wont be really missed.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

We pay for a fortnightly collection at a reduced pensioners rate. Since we got a Dalek haven't really needed a green bin, so will think carefully before I renew it. Now if I get a shredder in the sales I will never need the bin ........

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum
            Nannys make memories

Comment

My neighbour wont miss it, he chucks his in the bloody road!

We have to pay for collection or take it to the recycling place for free, but I compost nearly everything, sometimes I burn stuff just to annoy the neighbour.
              photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Originally posted by Veggielot View Post
                Just read the my council are proposing to cancel collecting garden waste to save money. I believe they have done this in Harrogate and York does anyone have experience of this? Apparently we are supposed to put any garden waste in our ordinary bin and it will be sorted out at the recycling centre.

In York they have the York Rotters.

If you can find enough space then collect as much as you can off your neighbours and make lots of lovely compost.

Comment

Our green bin used to be for cardboard and green waste - they now make us put card into a blue bag due to 'contaminants' in cardboard being unsuitable for composting. We don't use ours really, as all our stuff goes down the lottie. I suggested using it as a water butt but Himself wasn't keen.

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                    Do you generate much garden waste? I don't - most is composted.
                    On the whole it gets composted and I am getting a shredder which should deal with the rest. Mainly uses it for the stuff from the allotment that I don't want to compost, seeds etc.

Comment

Our free green waste collection stopped this year, now for a fee the council will supply a brown lidded bin, if you put green waste in your normal bin they won't empty it.
                      As I compost everything it doesn't bother me one way or the other.
                      "...Very dark, is the other side, very dark."

"Shut up, Yoda. Just eat your toast."

Comment

Garden waste is organic matter. Organic matter is good for the soil. So in effect, so called garden waste is garden goodness!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Veggielot View Post
                          Just read the my council are proposing to cancel collecting garden waste to save money.
                          I've never had a garden waste collection

Mind you, most gardens round here are now brickweave drives
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Didn't bother buying into the green waste collection this year. Previously it was free and as I compost all I can I only ever had a small bin which I put out a few times a year. There was no reduction for a smaller bin so I didn't bother and I haven't missed it either.

Comment

We have to discourage our neighbours from taking their green waste and clippings to the tip and bring it to us instead. With a reasonable shredder and a bit of effort, you can build up a large amount of useful mulch. Nature doesn't put leaves and dead vegetation in a bin, it just spreads it on the surface, which is what we mostly do. Then move it to one side to plant through and put back as the plants grow. Do people realise that when they take their garden waste to the tip or have it removed, they are also sending away their fertility, and instead have to buy it in, in bags or as chemicals?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X