No announcement yet.

Advice needed please,if allowed,and able

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Potty said ^^ & @ http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1185945

I always favoured being a self employed "worker",this meant that stoppages were a flat 25% (iirc),keep the wage slips & all receipts of expenditure (safety clothing & footwear,tools of work,etc) give those to your accountant (who will know all the others household percentage claims you can make Phone,office space,etc),accountant then submits to HMRC ,any rebate due will be sent to you as a cheque in my day,might be other systems in place now.
    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
      If the man hiring the other man is deducting tax and NI, then the other man is not self employed but employed by the the hirer.
      Not strictly correct bud,a self employed person hired by an employer is a "worker" a worker does not get the same benefits as an employee,"workers" are not entitled to :

Minimum wage
      Statutory sick pay
      Holiday pay
      etc
      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Thanks once again fellas,by the way it's not me,i shall advise that,1 they speak to an accountant,as they should be up to date,2 get an appointment at the benefit office,jeez....as 1 headache goes,another arrives,this now beyond me being able to help,other than i have tried with your help,i shall speak with them later on,i remember from years ago,i did outdoor work in the rag trade,i did not earn enough to pay anything,but i did have to have a certificate of exemption,and be registered,every year i still had to take things to the tax office,that was the limit of my brains,the laws alter with every breath we take,thank you again all,much appretiated,
        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

My previous business always skirted on the edge of this equation. Some accountants believed it to be construction others didn't.

The construction industry basically covers new buildings or alterations to existing buildings where a business is the recipient of the project rather than a private individual. So a builder could build a house for an individual and not fall under the construction industry, he would come under building not construction, bizarre I know. As such a main employer carrying out work in customers homes using sub contracted labour would not fall under the construction industry, but if he was to carry out work within offices even on a domestic site he would fall under the construction industry.

It's a very grey and convoluted discussion, but it is possible to be self employed and have your wages deducted at source by the main contractor, definitely worth checking though, as I have known people have deductions made and HMRC not receive payments on their behalf.
          I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Thanks Mikey,I have passed on previous advice,at least i can settle a bit better,they need a meeting with an accountant,and learn more for themselves,and give my brains a rest,your words of wisdom will be passed on too,
            Last edited by lottie dolly; 25-11-2013, 04:05 PM.
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X