Pretty Reptile Food dishes (herbivores)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Salazar Slytherin View Post
    I live in Crewe Nantwich, it is only a small town, and we live even further more secluded than most people so far I don't know of any in my area, and I don't drive either. So I wouldn't know where to start looking. if I did find one selling some things, it would be much easier, I have constantly harassed my local supermarkets to get them in for the last few years.
    Sorry, I forget that not everyone has the same access as we do.

Supermarkets aren't geared up for one off requests - but do you have a market/farmers market come to your town? One of the stallholders at ours is a veg farmer - he often sells turnips, and so if you had someone similar, you could ask him for some tops?

No idea why you can't grow them, though - most brassicas germinate in a few days, so a trough where you could harvest off the leaves when they are young plants before they bulb up should be doable?

Comment

I watched your Youtube video - you've done a wonderful job of looking after Albus. I can see why you want to give him everything that he needs.
      RealSeeds sell Turnip Greens that can be harvested in 4 weeks Vegetable Seeds : Chard and Cooking Greens Could you grow those for him?

Comment

Been having a look around & find Collard Greens .. WHFoods: Collard greens .. have more Calcium than Turnip Greens .. WHFoods: Turnip greens .. if that helps then seeds are available here .. http://www.moreveg.co.uk/shop/catego...aram=cid%3D%26 .. using the different varieties would give you an extended harvest period.
        Last edited by bearded bloke; 21-03-2013, 10:22 PM.
        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

I'm going to soak some turnip seeds overnight, them see if they'll grow into greens in a seed tray. I see no reason at all why they won't. Will let you know what happens

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
            Sorry, I forget that not everyone has the same access as we do.

Supermarkets aren't geared up for one off requests - but do you have a market/farmers market come to your town? One of the stallholders at ours is a veg farmer - he often sells turnips, and so if you had someone similar, you could ask him for some tops?

No idea why you can't grow them, though - most brassicas germinate in a few days, so a trough where you could harvest off the leaves when they are young plants before they bulb up should be doable?
            If there is I don't know tbh, the thing is I actually live on a farm, and I know the owner, and he doesn't grow turnips, and I am pretty sure this is the only farm in our small area so I really don't think this is likley? but how would I find a farm shop? or farmer? do they advertise or do I have to find a veg market or similar? if so I don't know of one in my area, everyone who buys it in that I know of has to travel a good few miles away. Tell me about supermarkets not doing a "one off" the thing is this isn't just a problem for me, but no one else really bothers to make the effort that I know of and most of these beautiful animals will end up dead before they are 8, this isn't really good considering they should be living up to 15-25

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            I watched your Youtube video - you've done a wonderful job of looking after Albus. I can see why you want to give him everything that he needs.
            RealSeeds sell Turnip Greens that can be harvested in 4 weeks Vegetable Seeds : Chard and Cooking Greens Could you grow those for him?
            Thankyou, I actually still have some turnip seeds they are called purple turnip I would like to give those another try first rather than them just sitting there and never doing anything, but I have saved the link to my favourites and Albus and Mini send their head bobs in gratitiude

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
            Been having a look around & find Collard Greens .. WHFoods: Collard greens .. have more Calcium than Turnip Greens .. WHFoods: Turnip greens .. if that helps then seeds are available here .. Collards - Items - Moreveg vegetable seeds most at 50p also herb and flowers .. using the different varieties would give you an extended harvest period.
            Thanks mate for the info, I did look into this a while ago when I was heavily researching their care further.

Apparantly Spring Greens have a very similar genetic makeup to Collard greens and according to some over here apparantly they are one and the same thing (not sure but I know they are similar nutritonally, so I am not too concerned about that, I can easily obtain spring greens here my problem is they should be eating at least 5 different greens a day and here in the UK this is very difficult, I can't even find 5 greens that they are supposed to eat, I can find 2 (spring greens and water cress) the rest I have to grow, or try to locate, I actually find it frustrating knowing that turnips are supposed to be cultivated well here in the UK but no one knows where I csan get any tops? So spring greens, turnip greens, and mustard greens, (with water cress and dandilion leaves would be an awesome start) I can get everything else apart from the turnip greens lol.

I can get Escarole and Endive too, but it comes in a mixed salad pack and I end up sitting half an hour picking out all the good bits from the bad foods lol.
            Last edited by Salazar Slytherin; 21-03-2013, 10:37 PM.

Comment

I'm going to soak some turnip seeds overnight, them see if they'll grow into greens in a seed tray. I see no reason at all why they won't. Will let you know what happens
              Thankyou I would really appreciate that, I am sure I have been doing something wrong, I just don't know what really

Comment

What about rocket,Morereasons have that as a single variety packet.What about Chard or Texel Greens for variety
                He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by Salazar Slytherin View Post
                  Thankyou I would really appreciate that, I am sure I have been doing something wrong, I just don't know what really
                  Tell us how you've been trying to grow turnips - maybe there's an easy way since all you want are the leaves - most people want the roots

Comment

What about rocket,Morereasons have that as a single variety packet.What about Chard or Texel Greens for variety
                    They are fine foods to rotate into the diet occasionally mixed in with the staple foods (srping, mustard etc)), but these are the foods that if fed in huge amounts can cause them some problems I think it is something to do with the high concentatations of oxolates in them and the way they inhibit the calcium, (kidney stones) and obviously dehydration issues so feeding them together is a health disaster for them (binding it and making it useless another words) but on occasion foods like that are fine, I have been feeding rocket/chard/beet greens once every two weeks. great suggestion (our new morrisions has just recently started selling a few more types of chard. I have (when the weather has permitted also been picking wild foods that I know are also safe for them to eat. but it is all just me improvising at the moment.
                    Last edited by Salazar Slytherin; 21-03-2013, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Tell us how you've been trying to grow turnips - maybe there's an easy way since all you want are the leaves - most people want the roots
                      Well, I have tried growing them in loose soil watering and leaving and then never getting anything? :/ not one leaf. I tried planting some in April last year, and I kept trying all the way through to August, still nothing, just to make sure there wasn't any being pinched from the soil from birds or something, I tried growing them in pots and trays, and I still never got anything, baisicly I tried it the same way, and I never really needed to water them because we had alot of rain last year.

Comment

Salazar, where do you grow your greens? (Indoors, or do you have a garden you can use?)

Comment

P.s, never herd of texel greens (will research)

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                            Salazar, where do you grow your greens? (Indoors, or do you have a garden you can use?)
                            Hi Rusty lady
                            I tried growing them indoors on the window sill when I had no luck growing outside in the garden, yes we have a garden full of soil, no grass or anything, it is all just soil at the moment (will be doing something with the garden this year)
                            Last edited by Salazar Slytherin; 21-03-2013, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Did you use garden soil indoors?

Comment

Should I also say I have succesfully grown pumpkin leaves in the same way for a variety too? indoors and outdoors if this is any help for what it is worth, it is just the turnips that wont grow.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X