Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 'What Makes You Happy' Thread (Part 4)

Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G4 ... because she is the ultimate nutter wiggle,wiggle
    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

• METHOD:
      make a slit one-third of the way down the back of the body and remove the intestines.

I tend to just sharpen the scissors and cut the blasted things in half
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Postie arriving with an evelope full of surprise seeds from a great grape friend
        Last edited by Florence Fennel; 26-04-2014, 02:34 PM.
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
          I keep meaning to send you this;

By Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall from River Cottage 2009

METHOD

First purge the slugs by feeding them for five days on a single-item diet of lettuce, cabbage or carrot peelings. Then starve the slugs for two days more to remove any remaining digested matter in their systems (this step is optional, but if you don't do it, you will have to gut them).

Put the slugs in the freezer to kill them. Make up a solution of equal quantities of vinegar and water and soak the frozen slugs in it for a few minutes to begin drawing out their slime.

Put them in a pan of cold water with a dash of vinegar and bring up to a simmer. More slime will come out. Drain the slugs and rinse them under the tap, removing the slime with your fingers.

Repeat the simmering and rinsing, with fresh water and vinegar each time, at least three more times, until no more slime comes out.

Put the slugs in a pan of fresh water with some sliced carrot and onion and a bay leaf. Bring to a simmer and cook until the slugs are tender - probably just 5-8 minutes. If you need to gut the slugs, make a slit one-third of the way down the back of the body and remove the intestines.

© River Cottage
          Oh, G4!! No, no, no and no!!!
          My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

• Yuk, that's just 'gross', remove the intestines .......... What.... No....
            DottyR

Comment

• One of the very old chaps on our sites has had to sadly give up his plot, he's just too frail, but he still pops up to see what's going on and today arrived with what he called 'his lifetime collection of seed trays and mini propagators' , and offered me whatever I would like. So sweet of him.
              DottyR

Comment

• Wow. what a lovely gesture. hope you took him up on the offer and will thank him with a few home grown that he will no doubt appreciate just as much as you did his kindness. lovely. thats one perk of having an alotment over having a garden..the community of it. i just have my mrs to bore with my garden adventures...and you guys,but hey...you guys love it!? :/

Comment

• Definitely. He is the guy, who gave me some blackcurrant cuttings that came from bushes that his wife originally grew, many years ago, they have done very well, and more cuttings have been passed on from me to another plot holder and the old chap received some jam and home baking. I love all that, and do hope he continues to pop up to see what's growing.
                  DottyR

Comment

• Finally, after 4 years of having my allotment and almost never seeing my allotment neighbour I have now seen him 3 times in a row and yesterday we stood gassing at the fence, about the Big Allotment Challenge of all things. He told me that one of the apple trees on his plot always blooms on his son's birthday. How sweet is that?

Comment

• A case of wine arriving, now who could have ordered that I wonder.
                      DottyR

Comment

• Some bags of well rotted stable manure on my plot.
                        DottyR

Comment

• I'm hitting 350 posts with this one... will I get a change of status (it's a mystery to me)?

Comment

• Ah, no, still a Rooter. That's cool.

Comment

• Having lunch with old friends yesterday.

Garden vouchers arriving, as a result of my complaint!

Comfrey roots arrived ( second attempt). First attempt never materialised.

Finally getting home today.

My 'baby', is 33 years old today, just as lovely as when get was born! (Biased)
                              DottyR

Comment

• Watching Betty (Speckledy hen) this evening.
                                Her 3 sisters had gone to bed but Betty was still up and about, and waddling around in a most peculiar fashion - looking like a toddler with a full nappy.
                                She stood at my feet, looked up at me, dropped her bottom and started to strain as if constipated. Not a sound passed her beak but she kept looking at me, in a puzzled way.
                                Suddenly, much to our surprise, out popped an egg, her first, and soft shelled. She turned and looked at it, as if to say, how did that happen and what on earth is it, gave a little cluck, straightened her feathers and strutted off to join her susters on the perch.
                                I've never been present at a "birth" before - all very exciting
                                Thank you Betty, you made my day

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X