No announcement yet.

Fire

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had some idiots down on our allotments who decided to set fire to a community shed. It had only been up for about a week! It is, I'm afraid, all part of a much deeper malaise (just witness the news with stabbings, rapings, beatings, shootings etc!). I know I keep bashing on about this, but I work with teenagers, and I have to say, in the main they are a good bunch (even though they all have baggage of some sort) I have found, in conversation with them that they feel a) directionless b) un guided and c) not respected. For a lot of them, the only option is some sort of violent outburst. I do not in any way excuse or condone what happened, and am very glad no one was hurt, but let's all look at the bigger picture and see what we can do to help.

Zebedee
    "Raised to a state of heavenly lunacy where I just can't be touched!"

Comment

Big thankyou to everyone for your support. Am feeling a little better about things today, was a bit of a shock at first and I was full of what if's. But you are all right and I won't change my plans but will be glad when we get rid of the trees as they are quite scary looking and we have had quite windy weather over last 2 days so lots of sooty dust been blown around.

Comment

Originally posted by tinyvine View Post
        How about Rhubarb, never liked the look of that much as a kid?

With most kids it is any green veg, but if you are looking for colour in your pottager how about black kale and red brussles?

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
        fire is a particular 'phobia' of mine.
        Having lived through a house fire, can I recommend to everyone that smoke alarms should be checked on a weekly basis and vacuumed every few months to clear dust deposits that may stop them from working.

Originally posted by zebedee View Post
        but let's all look at the bigger picture and see what we can do to help.
        I quite agree! Could I ask (very cheekily) if people would consider giving one hour a month to their local church, scouts or guides - you don't have to work with the kids, book keeping, maintenance jobs, making the tea! These are all invaluable to the organisations involved.

And having hijacked your thread Serenity, I apologise and will now creap away quitely!
        The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

serenity, I've only just read this post, and am so sad to hear of it. Nil carborundum.... Keep your chin up!
          Thinking of you

Comment

me too i find just getting chatting to local teens and showing respect gets you respect in return.
            Yo an' Bob
            Walk lightly on the earth
            take only what you need
            give all you can
            and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Originally posted by yoanbob View Post
              me too i find just getting chatting to local teens and showing respect gets you respect in return.
              So what did Serenity do to be so disrepected and get her hedge set on fire. ! Respect is a concept some of them don't have. There is something very deep seatedly wrong in their lives and there are no quick, fix solutions. Especially when we haven't identified the problems.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

hi Serenity - what a nightmare for you.
                we had an old leylandii 'hedge' (about 30' tall!), and rather than remove the stumps, we cut all the branches back to the trunks, so we were left with a line of 'poles' - we then strung wires across the lot, and have used it to support climbers. from our point of view, it was much easier than removing them, and it also meant we were able to recreate a whole area of the garden very quickly...
                don't know if that might be an idea for you?

Comment

I think when someone like that, sees something lovely and carefully looked after, something happens inside of them, jealousy if you like, 'If I haven't got it, why should you', 'I'll ruin it and then we are equal'. Its more than sad, but there never seems to be a sure answer. For one bully yes, but for a gang; there is anonymity.
                  As far as they see, they don't need to show respect to someone they don't know and not knowing them makes them feel better. Doing it gives them a sense of power.
                  Where we look at them and see the exact opposite of the image they try to portray, they never see that.
                  I hope we can help them, but its hard enough forgiving them for what they have already done, and trying again seems hopeless.
                  I feel somehow its a bit like gardening, this tuff old piece of land that no one wants and yet it could be...
                  The people who work with kids get my full support, but I wish it would work already!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X