No announcement yet.

Cattle/Goat/Hog/Stock Panels.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The weldmesh that is here (in a fence to stop the dogs falling over the cliff) is almost impossible to bend - you could never get a smooth curve in it and the outward force at the base, against whatever framework held it there would be considerable - in a 16' length.

Comment

Originally posted by cptncrackoff View Post
      Could you not use a heavy guage stock fence?
      Mcarthur do a real heavy one... and they're 4' (ish)

Stock fencing is wound perpendiculars not welded,presuming a polythene cover is being used the coils would cause weak points in it very quickly I would think.
      Last edited by bearded bloke; 02-03-2013, 09:54 PM.
      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
        Stock fencing is wound perpendiculars not welded,presuming a polythene cover is being used the coils would cause weak points in it very quickly I would think.
        I think I see what you mean - not flat enough for the poly to lay nicely on?
        Just those panels seemed alot more expensive.
        <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Thanks guys, from what you tell me & from what I have read it may possibly be a non starter but the idea was there........the guy on the vid made it look so easy as well.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

These are local to you AP,they stock it & have free delivery .... Grampian Steel Services ... click middle icon on bottom row to get sizes & wire gauge

Reinforcing Fabric BS4483
            Square Mesh Fabric Mesh Size 200mm x 200mm Sheet Size 4.8m x 2.4m
            Mesh Reference Wire Size Approx. Weight per metre kgs
            Main mm Cross mm
            A393 10 10 6.16
            A252 8 8 3.95
            A193 7 7 3
            *A142 6 6 2.22
            Structural Mesh Fabric Mesh Size 100mm x 100mm Sheet Size 4.8m x 2.4m
            B1131 12 8 10.90
            B785 10 8 8.14
            B503 8 8 5.93
            B385 7 7 4.53
            B283 6 7 3.73
            B196 5 7 3.05
            Long Mesh Fabric Mesh Size 100mm x 400mm Sheet Size 4.8m x 2.4m
            C785 10 6 6.72
            C503 8 5 4.34
            C385 7 5 3.41
            C283 6 5 2.61

Something from the structural or long mesh groups may well be suitable & a lot lighter to work with,give them a bell & see what they suggest bud

Comment

Since I've been swotting up on this tonight the other issue may be that the metal could heat up and burn through the poly cover. They talk about Anti Hot spot tape for repairs - there would be a lot more metal in contact with the poly than on a conventional tunnel.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                the guy on the vid made it look so easy as well.
                Weld mesh is incredibly flexible when you have enough leverage bud,try looking at B196 or C283 in the chart above,the unequal wires will help with curve forming

Comment

EDIT BB squeezed in when my back was turned

Maybe the coated wire would overcome that? ^^^^^^ Green PVC Coated Welded Wire Mesh | Netting | Fencing
                  Last edited by veggiechicken; 02-03-2013, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Der I had a numpty moment & thought this was an AP thread posted link for stockholder in Grampion,what a plank all is not wasted though as the numbers are all BS classifications so work anywhere in OK

Comment

If I was BM, (and obviously I am not) I would construct a tunnel using the same method as his coldframes - but with curved sides. Using water pipe fixed into metal uprights. This seems to be a popular option with DIYers - lots of plans and vids on Youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        If I was BM, (and obviously I am not) I would construct a tunnel using the same method as his coldframes - but with curved sides. Using water pipe fixed into metal uprights. This seems to be a popular option with DIYers - lots of plans and vids on Youtube.
                        I've also had pad & pencil out tonight doing just that...........drawing a bit of a blank finding cross fittings......I may just have to give my old brain a rest for a while............
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Another approach would be to buy the £60 one but add additional hoops inside during construction. This would make the frame more substantial but the cover will (perhaps) be a write off in 1-2 years. By then you'll have a better idea of whether you really want one and if you do, you can buy some plastic to make a new cover.

Comment

Decisions, Decisions................

Comment

And me !

Comment

Well I say ...........

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X