No announcement yet.

Tracing the history of your home

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you get them free? Just to look......

Loving my allotment!

Comment

I was inspired to find out more about my house by reading Julie Myerson's Home

Home: The Story of Everyone Who Ever Lived in Our House: Amazon.co.uk: Julie Myerson: Books

It's not a 'how to' manual but it's fabulously well written and gives you lots of ideas.

My favourite piece of info about my place is that the first occupants, Walter and Nellie Burgess had a servant called Emily Bunrose. What a fantastic name!
      I was feeling part of the scenery
      I walked right out of the machinery
      My heart going boom boom boom
      "Hey" he said "Grab your things
      I've come to take you home."

Comment

Ours is a self build so we have the dates (2009 onwards) - but we've put coins (Euros and Sterling) into the fabric of the walls along with sheets of newspapers for future generations to find. They might be confused as I also added some flint from White Horse Hill in Oxfordshire and some bits of clay pipes and late medieval green pottery...
        Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Newton View Post
          Can you get them free? Just to look......
          Yes!! Old-Maps - the online repository of historic maps - home page

Comment

Our house was build in the 1860's it was a semi up until 50 year ago then it was converted into one house when we moved in 20 years later the house seemed to have a lot of doors that led to the same rooms so we blocked those off.
            Its a common thing on our street some house have been split into two others have been extended then made into two house so the door numbers are all over the place
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

It was there in 1871.....that seems to be the oldest map available......tY VC

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X