Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    I'm so excited to hear that today.....
    You can have the full history tomorrow in exchange for an explanaition on the "unearthly" story! Don't get too excited the bit we live in is only 170-200 years old, the 400 year old bit is still here though, it's just not a house anymore.
    Last edited by marchogaeth; 09-02-2013, 06:00 PM.
    "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Its a deal, M, but don't get too excited about the Unearthly bit either Could be relevant though!!

Comment

Ours was built late 1980s but my in-laws has 1581 above the door so I think that would be more interesting.

Comment

Starts off really well, the area I live in was part of the Royal Sherwood Forest until the 17th century when this area was gifted to Nell Gwyn by Charles 11.......... I think.

Gone right down hill since then and I like many others live in a ex council house built just after the second world war.

Colin
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

1880 - built by the lady who lived next door's grandad for the workers in the corn mill behind us. Our house is the one that he lived in himself...and the gardens were nurseries but were bombed during the war so were divvied up by the lady who live at number 8's husband so that every house had a strip of land going to the canal.

The plots themselves have been divvied up since so instead of one long strip we have a shorter fatter bit next to the canal; but the lady whose husband divvied them up sorted that out too - and she still moans that her friend should have a bit by the canal and not a shorter fat bit by the path; and every time I say 'who divvied them up then?' and she says 'my husband' and wanders off...

Comment

Zaz is that the Erewash of Trent & Mersey? Spent many a happy hour boating on the T&M and my mates house 'modern by your standards' backed on th the Erewash in Long Eaton

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

We're not in Erewash but it is the T&M.

Comment

The Cardiff house built 1935, 1 of 4 all basically the same 3 bed detached houses but each tweeked by the buyer so they are slightly different. Built on a plot belonging to a large Victorian house which had an orchard. Most of the surviving apple trees are in my garden. Have the deeds.
                  West Wales cottage built before 1841, originally two, one room adjoining cottages with loft, occupied by two families of agricultural labourers working on nearby farm. Was derelict in 1915 when the land was sold as "garden plots on cliff". Cottages reroofed and another room added between 1915 and 1920 and occupied by a fisherman and family. They were here for several generations. I had an extra storey put on the cottage so it has 5 rooms, not 3 Hard to believe how I need 5 rooms but two families could live in 2 rooms

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                    We're not in Erewash but it is the T&M.
                    One off my favourite holidays slowly chugging up the T&M from pub to pub. At least you shouldn't have a problem with water supply.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                      One off my favourite holidays slowly chugging up the T&M from pub to pub. At least you shouldn't have a problem with water supply.

Colin
                      Yup we've got 8 of them in our village. 4 canal-side ones within spitting distance.

Comment

Would that be The Malt Shovel, The New Inn, Clock Warehouse, can't think of the forth, but its the only place I can think of with some many canal-side pubs, nice ones to.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Where I live is I believe an 18th century ex Nursing Home............Just getting a feel for it for my later days............
                          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                          -----------------------------------------------------------
                          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

What's the book CS? I'm in a converted barn. Would like to know the age and history. How much time and effort is involved?

Loving my allotment!

Comment

There are several books that cover it Newton. You should find out about your local history - the farm that the barn belonged to. Check out the censuses, maps newspapers. You can do lots of it online if you know where to look
                              Start with old-maps which is part of the OS. Put your postcode in and maps for 150 or so years will be at your fingertips!

Comment

Cheers VC..I'm on it....

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X