No announcement yet.

The things folk will do for money

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I were famous, and I have no desire to be, I'm sure I would choose carefully which company wanted to pay me most to promote their products. After that, I really wouldn't give a castlemaine XXXX.
    I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Calm down dears, it's a commercial................
      http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...42080656,d.d2k

Comment

some cyclists need a good kick. they do not pay heed to the law of the road and I have seen them run red lights and one did it in front of me once then tried to blame me. he got an earfull. Bright lights, yes I agree there are some car drivers who do not see well in day light let alone at night so light up riders. I see a cyclist on my way to work in the morning 6am and he has no lights. whose at fault if he gets hit. My one grip is the flashing white lights and one the other night caught me unawares and nearly came a cropper as the light was that bright it dazzeled me me as he crossed at an angle in front of me. I drive small roads alot and find that some cyclists ride two three even four abreast and think its their god given right. it should be single file. I do agree some drivers are awfull but I ride myself on occasion and my wife will not go on the road on her £350 bike because of traffic, I personnally do watch for bikes and have every sympathy with the majority of bikers,however, let them use some common and road sense aswell it's not only drivers to blame.
        Last edited by lez; 08-02-2013, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
          Sorry AP but I am getting confused here you say the least,you are criticising Dawn French for her association with an insurance company which is currently in the news over a claim that was made against them a few years ago,to which they admitted partial liability but has recently received a lot of media coverage because the said company are in the process of establishing the percentage of liability (see Potty's post),surely if all that is offending you is actors acting in TV adverts you really need to extend your criticism to include Martin Clunes as he has been appearing on their behalf as well since the claim in question.
          BB, If you look at the OP you will see I did not criticise anyone. I wondered whether Dawn French would reconsider her position now that this has come to light. Martin Clunes has been sacked by Churchill for a series of speeding convictions(I think) and so is no longer involved.

Comment

Its a little off topic lez, but there are good and bad to both cyclists and drivers, however on the whole it will always be the cyclist that comes off worse. Yes you should ride single file, but if I had my daughter on the road learning road safety, she would be on my inside and we would be two abreast.

I've cycled a lot over the years and more often than not cars do not give cyclists the room they duly deserve. They are entitled to the full width of the lane in the same way a car is, but very few motorists move over into the next lane when overtaking.
            I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

I thought pedestrians were king if you're driving anyway.
              Interestingly, Dawn French was brought in to replace Martin Clunes because he was disqulaified form driving.
              But neither of them have anything to do with the accident, and all insurers advertise.

Comment

I try to give way to pedestrians and cyclists alike and though it may be a little of topic it all comes to good etiquette. I agree if you have kids protect them all the way and I have no argument with that it seems to be more the cycling club types who flaunt the rules. I see around here the council spent a fortune putting in cycle paths and yet they still cycle in the very busy main road and you can't pass a cycle safely which maybe explains the cars getting to close. I have watched some drivers and cyclists take chances and it's not worth it. Only yesterday I watched a driver in front of me overtake a cyclist on the wrong side of the road and on a sharp bend. Made me cringe. Any way all keep safe and be more forgiving of all including me.

Comment

Thought I might as well put my tuppence worth in.

I think in response to the original post that probably DF is distraught by the implications of the story. It is not her fault that Chirchilll are defending their claim. It's supposed to be what they do on every claim to minimise their risk and avoid insurance fraud.

It's cases like this that involve stories about tragic accidents that cause the facts to come to light. It's the job of the press to bring the story to the public.

As far as I can see everyone has acted correctly within their roles. I say correctly loosely though because the press often overstep the mark and insurance companies often take advantage of the vulnerable at difficult times.

Dawn French comes out quite well iMHO. To her defence. Churchill acted quite responsibly by sacking Clunes so she will probably have thought that Churchill are a sound company to whom she could safely lend her skills.......

Sorry. That was probably four pence worth if its all about the money!

Loving my allotment!

Comment

I see ten times as many drivers with no lights (at dusk) as I do cyclists without.

What would one rather be hit by? A tonne of metal & glass, or a pasta-filled hippy?
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I run around country lanes in the early morning wearing hi viz vests/white socks and on dark days a head torch with flashing red light at the rear and a white flashlamp at teh front.

I have never yet been hit by a car but lots have tried so I have become adept in jumping onto walls, jumping into ditches, into hedges and into brambles and nettles. I find Audi drivers worst but young girls with mobiles and small cars are nearly as bad.

I have become expert at rude gestures...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X