Any vegans out there?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    I don't mind anyone asking me why I don't eat meat and I'll bore the hindlegs off them with my reply Equally, I feel entitled to ask them why they do eat meat. Free and open discussion - great - especially around a table, face to face - as sometimes the written word can be misinterpreted.
    Yes, they usually ask when it's meal time and they think it will look good in front of their mates to start haranguing the veggie in the room.

Comment

Surely people just eat what they want to - without anyone asking why they're eating it?

People wouldn't ask why are you eating choc icecream instead of vanilla - I don't see it as being any different, myself... it's just personal choice
      Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 01-02-2013, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
        Surely people just eat what they want to - without anyone asking why they're eating it?

People wouldn't ask why are you eating choc icecream instead of vanilla - I don't see it as being any different, myself... it's just personal choice
        You'd think...but some people think they have the right to query just why people eat veggie sausages; or burgers; and the answer is of course, because they fit nicely into bread rolls. If you'd rather call them veggie stuff rolled into a sausage shape or veggie stuff flattened into a patty shape then knock yourself out.
        Last edited by zazen999; 01-02-2013, 02:32 PM.

Comment

I'm sitting here wondering what folks are getting worked up about. We need to eat. Some folks will eat what they can get, whether they like it or not out of necessity, some will eat what they like to eat and won't eat what they don't like, I come in to the latter category but I was dragged up proper and eat what is put in front of me if eating away from home. Veggie or vegan or not. Up or down to the individual.

Comment

Trying to go back onto topic, does anyone use quark? It's not vegan, but is veggie and seems to be a healthy cheese. But other than the mushroom lasagne I made the other day, I wouldn't know what to do with it.
            http://togrowahome.wordpress.com/ making a house a home and a garden home grown.

Comment

Isn't it a smooth curd cheese that you'd use like any other soft cheese? I used to use it like butter in sandwiches. TBH I'd forgotten all about it 'til now!

Comment

Yeah I'd forgotten about it, was looking for Mascarpone and found that instead. Did the job. It's a little bitter tasting, but yeah basically a cream cheese, looked almost like yoghurt. Everything was green on the sainsburys health wheel thingy, so thought I'd trying using it agin.
                http://togrowahome.wordpress.com/ making a house a home and a garden home grown.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                  I'm sitting here wondering what folks are getting worked up about. We need to eat. Some folks will eat what they can get, whether they like it or not out of necessity, some will eat what they like to eat and won't eat what they don't like, I come in to the latter category but I was dragged up proper and eat what is put in front of me if eating away from home. Veggie or vegan or not. Up or down to the individual.
                  Absolutely.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of Durham View Post
                    Apologies for butting in as im neither veggie or vegan, i just wonder why there is a market for things that taste and look like meat?
                    I can think of one reason: so that the weirdo can eat what looks like the same dish as the normal people, and not be subjected to interrogation at every meal
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

as a veggie option, rather than vegan, grilled Halloumi cheese with some barbecue spices is rather nice
                      and can be stuffed into a pita bread with salads

Comment

Hey - we're on page four of a Veggie/Vegan thread, and there's no arguments!!!! Things are looking up!

That sounds nice, Thelma - I'm hungry now.
                        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I have many of the same problems with people noseying and interfering the eating habits of my daughter. She's got a very strong sense of smell and taste and can't abide anything strongly flavoured or smelling, to the point that she gags before something touches her lips. Now I have no problem with that, out of the things she does like she gets a pretty balanced diet, and I really don't believe in making a huge issue out of food, or in forcing anyone to eat things that make them sick. She'll grow out of it; I did, my sister did, my mum did. But the number of people who seem to think it's their business to tell me how they would make her eat this, or that, and how I should give her it every meal til she eats it, or talk about starving children in the 3rd world, is just astounding! Mind yer bloody neb busybodies!

Comment

my son is vegetarian and its a healthy diet that he leads - and thankyou son: we eat far less meat since he decided not to eat meat as he doesn't like it. He is brought up in the country so understands that animals are unfortunately killed so that vast arable crops can be grown(rabbits, moles, insects etc) and knows that all animal life is equal so the 'ethical' vegan route is hypocrisy to him. He accepts that calves are killed so he can have milk and cheese. We have our own eggs from our pure breed chickens that we are trying to breed.True vegans cannot wear leather or own pets (enslavement of animals)they cannot eat honey- for the same reason. They are not allowed to keep horses- absolutely not. I discovered that a strict vegan relative of mine has been letting people's horses out of fields recently due to her vegan beliefs- certain vegan websites advocate this I discovered upon research!!. So right back to the original post- careful - vegan is a sweeping statement - there are some reet nutters oot there!!!!!!!!!

Comment

And some people still believe the world is flat & David Cameron is a nice bloke.
                              Last edited by bubblewrap; 01-02-2013, 08:34 PM.
                              The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                              Brian Clough

Comment

.......and that life without bacon butties isn't worth living

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X