52 Week Challenge - week by week through 2013

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sheneval View Post
    ....... I did wonder that leaving them lying where they fell after digging them up might not be the best idea but was not too worried as the whole plot gets plenty of sun all day long at this time of the year. ........
    As a rule, it's recommended to raise the onions up on mesh (top of your cages?) such that they get good air circulation and dry out better than being on the ground; although I think that you're right in this case - it's so hot & dry this year, it prob won't make an awful lot of difference.

Look forward to your pic - if only to see who has got the biggest onions!

Comment

• Hazel,

I put the environmesh back over them just in case the rabbits got any funny ideas but the top of a cage sounds like a better idea as they would be fully exposed to the sun - I had intended to start another cage fairly soon so may bring it forward and try out your suggestion - it only takes a day to build and transfer to the allotment and the sun is not going to last forever - there are three or four that I consider to be of a good size but as I'm a little unsure, or to be more accurate, have no earthly idea what would be classed as a 'good size' and am merely basing it on the size of the others, I will await the judgement, (and probable laughter), of your good self, Trip and VC - I will post the pics after dinner.
      Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

• Shen, rest easy, I have never, in all my years, laughed at the size of a man's onions. Other things yes, but not onions

Comment

• Given that I grew onions from sets last year, and come September, when I was talking to Reg-next-plot, he remarked 'are those sets you've put in those Japanese overwintering onions? You've put them in a bit early, haven't you?' and I had to point out that those were, in fact, fully grown and ready to be harvested; I will not be laughing at the size of anyone's onions.

PS I have not grown onions this year!

Comment

• Hazel,

I too put in 2 lots of sets in the spring so am waiting patiently to see how they develop - they are far ahead of my daughter's neighbour's who put in his a week or so earlier - environmesh is expensive but worth the price

Herewith photos as promised. I'll tidy them up tomorrow as I am going up to put the sides and back sheeting on to the shelter now that the new hooks are to hand.
            Attached Files
            Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Hazel,

I too put in 2 lots of sets in the spring so am waiting patiently to see how they develop - they are far ahead of my daughter's neighbour's who put in his a week or so earlier - environmesh is expensive but worth the price
              I may have to invest - the weight of opinion is in favour, despite the high initial outlay. Your comments in conjunction with seeing Jason-show-winner's carrots at the top end of the Hill looking so luscious might tempt me.

In six years I have yet to grow a decent carrot.

Are the hoops pipe, and just bodged into the ground, or do you strengthen them with cross pieces?
              Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 10-07-2013, 11:21 PM.

Comment

• Hazel,

I used plastic water pipe bought from Homebase @ £2 a piece (15% off day) but you can buy pipe in rolls if you need a lot and I have seen this with a bar of wood screwed across the top to provide rigidity - I put the pipe far enough into the ground so it did not need this and it fitted the environmesh exactly with little waste at the sides. You can of course create a cage using the pipe and wood - if I recollect correctly Bigmally showed a pic of an excellent example.

My friend Jim used Debris netting which is much cheaper - he picked his up from a skip but I bought mine on the Internet and have been using it all over the plot/s for, (sweetcorn with great results for a crop which no one else on the site seems to be able to grow), cabbages, cauliflower, brocolli, brussels sprouts which are totally enclosed in a cage covered by both wiremesh and debris netting and a variety of other crops imcluding carrots in a small raised bed - I would have been reluctant to spend the money required for environmesh to provide cover all the crops involved. I spent £44 including postage for 50mx3m - environmesh would have cost hundreds for the same amount.

Of course everything here needs protecion from rabbits, mice and voles but there is no doubt the crops benefite from the cover or/and protection in other ways although it is a bit of a nuisance having to protect everthing but I will be better at it next year after this year's experience of last minute hashing

Nutter by Nature

Comment

• Cheers, Shen - much food for thought there.

Comment

Hazel,

Herewith photos as promised. I'll tidy them up tomorrow as I am going up to put the sides and back sheeting on to the shelter now that the new hooks are to hand.
                    They look good Shen; there will be no one laughing at your onions
                    Hazel is right about the airflow for drying them and that is what I generally do, but in weather like this, it is as effective to let them dry out a bit on the ground, with an odd turning of them.............

I don't really suffer from pests such as rabbits etc , so don't cover onions...
                    Carrotts, I always cover and brassicas as well.....
                    Last edited by Tripmeup; 11-07-2013, 09:33 AM.
                    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                    sigpic

Comment

• This week my challenge is to resist the enormous temptation to take my (new to me) scooter for a ride
                      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

• Why can't you give in to temptation ? Its far more fun

Comment

• True but then giving in is not really a challenge
                          He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

• Week 28 Challenge

Make a Scarecrow

For the last couple of years at the Hill there has been a 'dress your shed' competition, which didn't take off with a huge bang. Notable exceptions were Chris from down the bottom who turned her shed into a beach hut, and cheery Brian and Pauline, who's shed always looks smashing anyway.

The only thing that I was likely to transform my rickety toolshed into was a pile of kindling if I slammed the door a bit hard.

But this year, some inspired person came up with. the idea of a Scarecrow competition - what an excellent plan! Low cost, not too technically difficult, and anyone can knock something together.

Now I've never been particulary 'crafty' in a Blue Peter kind of way, but I have not let that deter me, and over the past couple of weeks, Granddad George the Scarecrow has come to life.

I stuffed an old pillowcase with scrunched up newspaper, put a stick through for his arms. I dressed him in a pair of trousers which didn't survive the cut from my wardrobe clearout a couple of weeks ago; and an old sweatshirt donated by the Next-doors.

His head is an old cotton shopper bag, sown into a round and stuffed with newspaper. He's wearing my gardening gloves and wellies - and a flat cap which I found in the drawer, but I can't remember where it came from.

I gave his face a lot of thought (this (above) looking a lot like that episode of Dr Who where Maureen Lipman steals peoples faces, but Domino cat not seeming to mind).

Wool hair, marker pen eyebrows and mouth, cane topper nose, and a bit of Avon's finest blusher, and he's ready to rock.

Challenge completed - I wonder if I'll win!
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 14-07-2013, 10:03 PM.

Comment

• Absolutely brilliant Hazel, Its the sitting down that makes him "stand" out against ordinary scarecrows! Hope you win

Comment

• Week 28 Challenge completed
                                This was a Challenge that emerged during the week - to enable my 93 year old Mother to have a bath for the first time in at least 10 years !! She's had a hip replacement, but also finds it difficult, if not impossible, to lower herself into a bath and raise herself up again.
                                A friend offered me a bath lift seat for my Mum, but it had no instructions.

So he demonstrated it to me, not in the bath but in the garden, then I brought it back to Cardiff and demonstrated it for my Mum in her bath.
                                She's not a fan of gadgets but the thought of being able to sit down in a hot bath, for the first time in years was enough of a temptation for her to learn.
                                I've watched her operate it, lower and raise herself back up and out of the bath, and instructed her on the need for regular recharging of the battery Its up to her now, but I sincerely hope that she can enjoy a good long soak in the bath again
                                Now what was my original challenge going to be..............
                                Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X