No announcement yet.

raised beds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another alternative might be to get an old bath - preferably a plastic jobbie (lighter) - no preservation required. At least one drainage hole provided! And you could adorn the exterior with wood or branches as camouflage. An old corner bath would be even better. Also Belfast/butler sinks were used - sadly these have become very popular again (for houses utility rooms) so would perhaps not be cheap from a scrap merchant. However - if anyone around is having a refit and you see an old tub on a skip - it would be worth an ask and you may even get it gratis (what a lovely word!).

I would definitely use pots of various sizes for herbs and possibly those plastic window box planters where 2/3 varieties could be grown. These smaller containers allow for you to organise your planting so that when sun required you can clear a spot with ease. They are also easy to replenish when the herb has passed its best without disturbing others growing.

Unless you have cash to splash - whilst that ready made job is easy on the eye you'd be able to construct at least 2, maybe 3, for the same price from reclaimed wood offcuts - but good luck if you've bought a lottery ticket - then you can buy us all the posh one!

I see you're quite 'new' on here - but not necessarily new to gardening - best of luck with your planned projects - do let us see the results as the year goes by.

Comment

Hi Quark1, yes I am new on here and new at everything!!!!!

Thank you for the in depth reply. All comments taken 'on board'.

No I certainly do not have cash to splash! But if I win lottery I will indeed buy you all one!

Yes those old sinks are indeed lovely. I also really like flower beds made out of an old boat.

I will have a chat with my Dad (as he will be building it, as I simply do not have the time at the moment).

Hopefully it will be done before March!!!

THank you

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by chilli_grower View Post
        gotcha, ok thats great.

One more question:

I assume that tannalised timber will be ok to use? i.e the chemicals will not affect produce?

Thanks
        Perfectly safe.

Tannalised timber got a bad reputation back in the 80s and 90s when it contained all sorts of nasties that could leech into the compost.

However a change in the law in the early 2000s banned the use of certain chemicals and made improvements to the process itself. The ingredients are now fixed to the timber and are not poisonous anyway. Unless you decide to drink the stuff prior to use.

For our international friends these regulations are not uniform around the world and you should check your own countries regs before using tannalised timber.

Colin
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X